Post your ATI Radeon HD 5770 and ATI Radeon HD 5750 Experiences

i had some freeze with drivers released date 21 sept, but not with the last beta one...
my uningine bench:

Wow, nice... Higher res, double the anisotropic filtering, and 4xAA enabled and you still get 50% higher framerates than I do. Really need to upgrade this pokey old cpu

I went from an ailing 3870 512 to an ASUS 5770 1gb on Thursday the 29th October 2009. I only really play Warhammer Online and GTA4 so my feedback is about that and a little else, both of which would have demonstrated better performance with the change if I had been using a quadcore and not a dualcore.

Chronologically then.

Taking the card out of the box? Surprised me at how beautiful it was when I saw it with my own eyes. Stunningly sleek, effective design, never thought I'd like it that much but I do, and I feel just a little silly - it's just sitting there in my enclosed computer chassis looking pretty.

Second thing was how silent it was. Sure like every card it revs up when you boot up, but afterwards I could hear my four system fans (all of the noname $5 type so they're loud) and my Phenom II X2 550 stock cooler, something I had not heard for a long time - my 3870 was LOUD, and this was one silent little mouse in idle. And in load - had to overload the Froblins tech demo with smoke generators to make it roar, and even then it was much more silent than my 3870. I actually used to pump up the volume or use headphones when gaming because of the load noise of my 3870.

Warhammer Online was noticably smoother, in and out of combat, helped a whole lot in scenarios and honestly my survivability too. Felt like the extra graphical memory helped me enter new zones and such faster, too.

GTA4 I used to play at 1280x720 with all the lowest details to get the maximum framerate out of it. Now I've got medium everything except draw and detail distances, and the framerate I used to have with minimum everything o the 3870 - and this time I'm in my native 1440x900. The game looks better, the minimum framerate has gone up WAY much wihch is important to me and should be important to you, this is like a new game to me. Would only get better if T2/R* would drop the DLC for us PC owners some day.

As for drivers, I feel it was a miss to only have drivers on a CD or press betas available for the 5770. I've got Windows 7 x64 retail because I wanted to get into it early just for the record. Using the 9.11 (?) press betas I cannot view fullscreen video be it flash (like viddler) or media player based (say, an MKV through MPC HC) without the entire system entering chugmode and requiring a reboot, nothing can be found in the task manager that's responsible for it, nor any CCC options, so I guess stay away from the perss drivers until the real 9.11s appear in November.

Overall the 5770 has been a big smile on my face. I'm the kind of guy who invests for the future, so I am happy with this purchase even though I could have gotten more power for about 50€ less - I wanted and now I have DX11 support.

I've mentioned all problems I ran into with it, never noticed fan up/down/up/down during logins. Maybe it's just my four cheap systemfans and CPU stock cooler sounding it out.

5/5 would buy again :)

(I'm going to try overclocking after I get a new CPU cooler and some fresher fans and isolate the chassis, next year I guess)
e: Wow, forgot to add the best thing. In Warhammer Online I instantly noticed colours and sharpness much improved, and texture sharpness, handling, without applying any AF. With AF it's even better. This is after the latest patch which changed the colour temperature a bit, but the 5770 knocks the stuffing out of the 3870 when it comes to handling colours, or just something, in that engine. It looks superb!

Last edited:
more than 7 but that's not the problem! ;)
I have several lcd eizo 17" and one eizo 20"... no need for larger lcd! ;)

^ Apparently you've never owned a large monitor ;) I'd sell 5 of those machines and put it towards a nice 24" or bigger.

don't worry for me, if i needed a 24" this would be done long ago...
So hd57xx fit perfectly for my rez!

Should I just pull the trigger on the 5770? You guys think I'll be ok at 1920x1200 playing games such as Demigod, Dow 2, Dragon Age and L4D?

I have been playing COD4, L4D, L4D2 on 1920x1080 on max settings smoothly if that helps anything.

Sorry - I meant full in game settings. So whatever in game AA and AF supports. I think it's 4x AA and 16x AF for L4D?

Sorry - I meant full in game settings. So whatever in game AA and AF supports. I think it's 4x AA and 16x AF for L4D?

So these games all run smoothly huh? What are you system specs btw? Just want to compare to mine to get an idea of what to expect if I should pull the trigger on the 5770.

Not too happy here with my Asus 5770.

So found a deal for a $135 shipped Asus 5770. Today UPS just left package at door, did not knock or asked to be signed for. When I arrived to find package, found shipping box to have massive damage, center was squashed, bottom was indented in, and one of the sides was malformed.

Opened box and found the retail Asus box to also have damage, plus the flaps at both ends to be opened, and the card's static bag inside to showed signs damage, as it was creased hundreds of times with scuffs as well, also nothing was sealed at all. No stickers, tape or anything.

Am now in the process of full RMA.
Does anyone know if the Asus retail box should be sealed with stickers or anything or plastic wrap?
I purchased two Sapphire 3870s two years ago and both boxes had Sapphire seal stickers on the retail box at both ends.

So found a deal for a $135 shipped Asus 5770. Today UPS just left package at door, did not knock or asked to be signed for. When I arrived to find package, found shipping box to have massive damage, center was squashed, bottom was indented in, and one of the sides was malformed.

Opened box and found the retail Asus box to also have damage, plus the flaps at both ends to be opened, and the card's static bag inside to showed signs damage, as it was creased hundreds of times with scuffs as well, also nothing was sealed at all. No stickers, tape or anything.

Does anyone know if the Asus retail box should be sealed with stickers or anything or plastic wrap?
I purchased two Sapphire 3870s two years ago and both boxes had Sapphire seal stickers on the retail box at both ends.

Sorry to hear that bro, but this has more to do with the freight process than the actual card itself. I hope your RMA with Asus goes smoothly.

Thats pretty shitty, but, did you try running it? If it still works and benches fine, you might as well save yourself some time/hassle and keep it.

ps: UPS has NEVER knocked on my door. Whenever I'm expecting a package from them I'll make sure someone is home, I'll always hear them run up the stairs and a "thud" on my doorstep, then they dart off. Very crappy service.

I do not even want to install card into my system as it looks used and or damaged.
So I am now working to get RMA. Yeah, UPS sucks bad, just toss packages around like nothing.

I do not even want to install card into my system as it looks used and or damaged.
So I am now working to get RMA. Yeah, UPS sucks bad, just toss packages around like nothing.

You should also complain to UPS corporate site and see if they will provide any sort of compensation. BTW - where ever did you get the ASUS 5770 for only $135 shipped? Cheapest I can find is $170.25 shipped (Amazon.com/Sapphire)

I ran both the variable and fixed RE5 benchmarks. Here are my results.

fixedbenchmark.jpg

variablebenchmark.jpg

I ran both the variable and fixed RE5 benchmarks. Here are my results.

fixedbenchmark.jpg

variablebenchmark.jpg

I would say that's pretty good. Do you think you would honestly notice a difference in a game if you got 30fps in one part then it jumped to like 45fps then back to 35fps? Isn't anything over 30fps just icing on the cake so to speak on an LCD anyway?

No tax and shipping for you then?

Nope, was free ground UPS shipping (took full 8 days cross country) and no tax. $135.09 shipped.
But since it was damaged, I now have to RMA turn around time is another 7-10 days. Fun!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I would say that's pretty good. Do you think you would honestly notice a difference in a game if you got 30fps in one part then it jumped to like 45fps then back to 35fps? Isn't anything over 30fps just icing on the cake so to speak on an LCD anyway?

I would say that if a lot was going on in the scene I would notice a very slight difference. However every game I have played so far I have not had any stuttering what so ever. Granted I've only been playing RE5, AION, COD4, and a few other games, but all I have been able to turn all graphics sliders all the way up at 1920x1080 and don't feel that any of them are too close to slow to enjoy.

So these games all run smoothly huh? What are you system specs btw? Just want to compare to mine to get an idea of what to expect if I should pull the trigger on the 5770.

Yep all smooth.

Phenom II 550 BE x2 (unlocked to x4 and OCed to 3.4Ghz)
4 gb DDR3 1333
HIS 5770
2x 640gb WD Black Raid 0
Win 7 Pro x64

Oh man :( at least your card was delivered, I've lost $200+ worth of stuff to thieving mail sorters and mailmen, unable to provide proof or go anywhere.

My Asus 5770 box was not sealed with stickers or wrapping, even the white box that holds the contents. At least it was reasonably large unlike my GeCube 3870 box which could fit over six 3870 cards in it.

edit: I solved the fullscreen video slowdown/chug problem, I think. Simply disabled hardware acceleration on flash applets, and now to do the same for my video players. Weird. Also suffered one hard crash when doing all kinds of things at the same time, *and* trying to bug out Warhammer Online. Sound locked and looped for a second until it silenced itself, screen grew columns of equal width, red, green, black/blue, green, black - then it repeated itself. Was it software or hardware?

Last edited:
keep tweaking my rig...
those little cards are a nice evolution of the hd4770 (at last a descent stock cooling & 1gb of rams)

So which one is the smarter choice for some 1680x1050 gaming on a budget? Does the 5770 have any NOTICEABLE difference to the 5750? :)

Yeah. The 5750 isn't The Batmobile.

It's also not much more expensive even if you are on a budget (I am. Decided I'd increase my chocolate craving time by two days every week.)

I finally pulled the trigger on a Sapphire 5770 off Amazon.com and got it for $159.99 w/o tax or shipping. Not too shabby! I'm just gonna OC it and get performance (hopefully) slightly better than a 4870 or a GTX260.

After playing a lot of AION, COD4, COD WAW, Resident Evil 5 and Wolfenstein all at 1920x1080 and all graphics settings all the way up, I have been more than pleased with this purchase.

I know the 5870 would last me longer, but with the availability and pricing I couldn't justify it.

One of the best upgrades I've done in years.

So far so good just loaded Win7 as dual boot can't wait to try some L4D!!

Very first bench;

Unigine
Heaven Demo v1.0
FPS: 29.3
Scores: 739

Hardware
Binary: Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1500 Release Oct 22 2009
Operating system: Windows 7 (build 7600) 32bit
CPU model: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor
CPU flags: 2812MHz MMX+ 3DNow!+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 HTT
GPU model: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 8.660.6.0 1024Mb

Settings
Render: direct3d11
Mode: 1280x1024 fullscreen
Shaders: high
Textures: high
Filter: trilinear
Anisotropy: 4x
Occlusion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled

Unigine Corp. © 2005-2009

can some one do some game benchmarks with your 1k+ core frequency overclocks?

^ Apparently you've never owned a large monitor ;) I'd sell 5 of those machines and put it towards a nice 24" or bigger.

Despite all the lust for 24", a good 23" can be found, even a TN.

Acer's triple (X/V/H233H) all share the same TN panel, resolution settings, and most of the same features (the X lacks the built-in speakers, the V lacks HDMI-in; however, even the H is, at worst, about $210 at BB).

My own H is still going strong, with no pixel stickage and no display issues, either.

What would be the best set up for the cables from the 5770 HD GPU to the 3 monitors that I have? All displays have VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs. One set up from the GPU is DVI+DVI+DP.

I have 2 DVI to HDMI cables and 1 DP to HDMI cable, which one would be the middle monitor?

napabob

I forgot to add some hardware specifications.

3 Viewsonic VX 2433wm
Supermicro X7DW-N
AMD ATI 4870 x2 (Switching to AMD Sapphire 5770 HD)
Dual Intel 64-bit Xeon LGA771 Quad-Core
8 GB ECC DDR2 FDB
2 80 GB Segate SATA RAID 0
2 Sony lightScribe R/W
7.1+2 Channel High Defenition Audio
Microsoft WindowsXP x64

napabob

Hey guys I have been tweaking my cooling on my HD5770s.

Here is some initial results on cooling with TR HR-03 rev. A heat sink. no fan on single HD5770.

SystemtempssingleTRHD5770tuning.jpg

My Antec 900 case does have a side fan bowing air onto the heat sink.

If anyone knows of a good 92mmx92mm25mm fan with 4 pin pwm connection for HD5770 please direct me to it. With a fan I think I can lower my temps even more.

Right now my temps are great and the noise levels are way down. :cool:

I flashed one of my HD5770s to Asus Bios. This makes it easy to over clock and has power play built in so the card doesn't burn up power. Using Afterburner 1.4. for voltage and frequency tuning.

Since the ASUS bios flash and TR heat sink worked great for one of my HD5770s I'm going to hook up my other HD5770 with TR HR-03 rev.A and flash it to the Asus bios.

I've been testing with single hd5770 and though some of the benchmark scores are lower than single HD5850 when playing UT3 and CODMW2 the single HD5770 rips up the games. Very fast at 1GHZ core and 1350 ram.

Xfire needs improvements for sure. I keep hearing the 9.12 drivers are going to improve hd5770 xfire performance. I hope so.

Still extremely pleased with performance of single HD5770.

Single HD5770 3dmark06 score is almost 20,000 and my best single HD5850 3dMark06 score was a little over 24,000.

Once the Xfire drivers get working right 2 hd5770s should easily be able to out perform single HD5850.

Last edited:
Back