Post your ATI Radeon HD 5770 and ATI Radeon HD 5750 Experiences

Well in regards to the new V2 revisions of the 5770's I will tell you that without a doubt it runs cooler than what the reviews say (about the V1's) and it has to be using the thickest block of copper I have ever seen, not to mention the fat pipes coming out of it.

I just got the Asus 5770 for my wife's PC and the heatsink just stood out with that thick copper plate.

Last edited:
Well in regards to the new V2 revisions of the 5770's I will tell you that without a doubt it runs cooler than what the reviews say (about the V1's) and it has to be using the thickest block of copper I have ever seen, not to mention the fat pipes coming out of it.

I just got the Asus 5770 for my wife's PC and the heatsink just stood out with that thick copper plate.

next-Jin- if you have time, could you please load up furmark for 15-20 minutes or so (until temperatures stablize) and post up what load temps you get along with your ambient temps? Thanks in advance!

My Sapphire 5770 v2 cooler arrived today. I ordered it to replace two 5750s which ran games well, but had small quirks with flashing artifacts on the desktop and such. The cooler is much beefier than the ones that were on the XFX 5750s, and it works very well in fact. The drawback, though, is that none of the ram chips are cooled. As you can see, I was not able to push my memory much, so I just left it at stock. Auto-tune rated my ram at 1435, but benchmarks would crash even all the way down to 1350, so I just left it at stock. I think this has to do with it being ECC ram. Anyhow, the card is very quiet, and idles at 37 C, and tops off at 67 C under load. I ran some benchmarks all at 1920 x 1080. I am expecting another 5770 v1 cooler to arrive next week and we will see how they perform in CrossfireX when the time comes.

newster, how is the heat?
Also, would be great if you could post detailed tests for V1 vs V2 cooler (heat/overclocking).
Sounds like the memory can't overclock well in V2 already.

This appears to be the first professional comparison of the V1 and V2 coolers:

http://en.expreview.com/2009/12/04/radeon-hd-5770-first-second-edition-performance-comparison/6015.html/2

The results seem to make sense to me. The V1 has a such small openings for both its intake and outtake, thus resulting in constricted airflow that leaves heat in immediate area around for a longer period of time. On the other hand, the V2 is fully open and has a fan blowing air directly onto the card, which more readily disperses heat away from the card into the rest of the case. As long as you have an otherwise decent exhaust system for the case itself, the V2 would appear to provide better cooling for the GPU (although the VRAM lacks heat sinks on the V2, while the VRAM on the V1 appears to be covered--probably not much an issue for anyone who isn't planning to overclock).

I finally got around to doing temperature testing on the different cooler types for the 5770. I have them in CrossFire with the v1 XFX on top, and the v2 Sapphire on the second PCI-E slot. They are not directly next to each other, and there is a case fan on the side blowing on to both of them. The left is the v1, and the right is the v2.

GPU-Z shot
gpuz.png

Idle temps
gpuidle.png

Load temps
gpuload.png

Although the v2 cooler is clearly better, and a lot quieter (v1 is really loud at 40% fanspeed and all the way up to 50%), the v1 cooler exhausts a lot of hot air. I put my hand back there under load, and it could almost be a hand dryer. If they had made a better cooler that exhausts air out of the case, that would have been awesome, but I guess for now you have to choose between better GPU cooling, or better case cooling, or both if you have CrossFire.

Last edited:
Did anyone increase the voltage to their 5770 with msi afterburner when overclocking?

I'm looking at the XFX 5770 as a replacement for my 8800gt.

Some thoughts on this move?

I have a 24" Benq 1900x1200 and game at that resolution. I know a 5850 would be better, but Not at those prices. Plus, the 5770 seems to consume less power, which is good.

So, I'm looking at the XFX on newegg that has the egg shaped cooler the Version 2 cooler with copper pipes. Seems to be out of stock though.

Thoughts?

I have a 24" Benq 1900x1200 and game at that resolution. I know a 5850 would be better, but Not at those prices. Plus, the 5770 seems to consume less power, which is good.

So, I'm looking at the XFX on newegg that has the egg shaped cooler the Version 2 cooler with copper pipes. Seems to be out of stock though.

Thoughts?

Unless your motherboard can handle CrossFire, I would wait and get a 5850 for 1900x1200 unless you absolutely cannot handle the extra 50W or so of power draw. From my experiences so far with a 5770 at 1680x1050 (it's only been a week or two), the 5770 can just about max everything out but I'm only getting around 30-40FPS. I've only tried the Dirt 2 Demo and Crysis up to this point, but this will probably be the trend with newer games that are coming out.

though not as good as the V2, the V1 cooler performs well!
sapphire HD5770 V1 w/asus bios @1100/1350:
19733.jpg

Upgraded from XFX GTS 250 to Sapphire 5770.

It's true that I don't play all those new games, but I play normal ones like Counter-Strike: Source, and HAWX...

I have noticed a big change really, my FPS is being maxed(299 FPS) 90% of the play-time in CSS, graphics are different, flash bombs are sexier now, grenades are different when they blow up, everything is different. I used to get like a max of 180 FPS with my 250.

In HAWX, the same thing for graphics, explosions are different, can see from long distances, and was only a 30 FPS increase after the upgrade.

I was also able to overclock it to the numbers you see in my sig.

I love this card...Just fits what I do. :p

~TJ

Unless your motherboard can handle CrossFire, I would wait and get a 5850 for 1900x1200 unless you absolutely cannot handle the extra 50W or so of power draw. From my experiences so far with a 5770 at 1680x1050 (it's only been a week or two), the 5770 can just about max everything out but I'm only getting around 30-40FPS. I've only tried the Dirt 2 Demo and Crysis up to this point, but this will probably be the trend with newer games that are coming out.

No crossfire. But I am looking for a card that draws roughly what the 8800gt does, 110 watts or so. The 5770 draws 108 and 18 or so watts at idle. I do like the power saving attributes.

So, those that have played games like Crysis, UT3/UT2004, Wolfenstien etc..... how is it at high res with all the bells and whistles on?

My worry is that with 128bit, it will struggle with newer games like Bioshock 2, MW2 etc.
Should this be a concern?

Thoughts?

I am in the same boat,with a vacation coming up after christmas so I want to get something by then.

So if you do get the 5770,Please let us know! :D

So if you do get the 5770,Please let us know! :D

Have yet to decide.

Anyone with real gaming info. on whether or not the 128bit would be an issue with newer games (bio 2, mw2) at higher resolutions......

Also in the running, but drawing more power and dx10.1 not dx11:
XFX 4870
XFX 4890

Thoughts from owners of any of these cards would be great.

For high resolution I would get the 4890 if thats all you can afford. The 5770 as of right now is on par with the 4870. Why not check out reviews? You would have your answer a lot quicker.

For high resolution I would get the 4890 if thats all you can afford. The 5770 as of right now is on par with the 4870. Why not check out reviews? You would have your answer a lot quicker.

I have. I'm looking for personal reviews. Not looking to spend for a 5850, so there is that factor.

Unless you really need DX11, I would get the 4890 then. The 5770 won't be as good at high resolutions.

I went from an 8800 GT 512 to currently a single 5770 right now (waiting for second one to return via cross trade). It was a modest and noticeable improvement in benchmarks and every game I play, mainly Batman, Borderlands, and Dragon Age. Borderlands was the most demanding, and there were choppy parts until I flashed to the Asus bios and overclocked it to 1 Ghz. For some reason, stock vs 1 Ghz was an extremely noticeable improvement. I game at 1920 x 1080.

no but from what i remember, the gpu temperature climbs up to 74°C before & now up to 68°C max...

pvhk- thanks again. Is max 68C loaded with furmark? I will have to consider re-doing the thermal compound on my card. I'm seeing max 85C under furmark, but this is in a matx case with low speed 80mm intake fan.

Hey all,

My XFX 5770 V1 is on its way. Since I've read that the heatsink isn't as good as the V2, I'll probably pump the fan up to 50-60% even if it is noisy. Since I couldn't push for the 5850, I'll probably overclock as well. Is the V1 cooler all that bad? I have an extra fan I can stick right behind the air intakes on it if I need to.

Does anyone know if the HR-03 or any other cooler can be mounted in reverse so the heat sink is on the back side of the video card. I need to fit a 5770 or 5750 into a single slot space. But if I could get the cooler over the back side of the video card it might fit.

Hey all,

My XFX 5770 V1 is on its way. Since I've read that the heatsink isn't as good as the V2, I'll probably pump the fan up to 50-60% even if it is noisy. Since I couldn't push for the 5850, I'll probably overclock as well. Is the V1 cooler all that bad? I have an extra fan I can stick right behind the air intakes on it if I need to.

I have the V2 and run it at 960/1350 and it's stays under 65 under load. I don't think the fan goes higher then 40 either. Not sure where you heard the V2 heatsink wasn't any good.

I just bought a 5750 for over £100 and my PC won't boot properly, it churns away for about a minute before eventually displaying the startup screen. Then my PC only stays on for around 15 mins before crashing. I have AMD 64x2 Dual core 5200+, Asus M2N-E-SLI motherboard, 4Gig of ram and running Windows 7 premium.
All my drivers are up to date, anyone got any help for a novice on how to fix the problem or if I need to invest in a new motherboard which is the best to get for the 5750.

Thanks

Just got mine this past Tuesday, and it's been working okay.

Major issue so far has been 2 2D, Win 7 desktop crashes. The first time, the drivers 'recovered', but it was sluggish afterwards. The second time, it kept trying to recover, but never quite made it (went from black screen to partial image to black, slow reponse with mouse).

Otherwise, my XFX 5770 with egg cooler is about 3mm from my soundcard. Ah, had to get a micro-ATX board. Temps have been in-between 35 C and 75 C so far, but it's winter.

I can't understand why its not working, I unplugged my DVD drives and the card fan keeps slowing down then speeding up again. I suppose its been another waste of money and another one for the bottom drawer, you learn by your mistakes but its a pity because I did some research on this before I bought it and they were all good, how come once I buy it I find the bad ones!!
£102 down the drain.

PC Spec
Windows 7 Home Premium
ASUS M2N-E SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64x2 5200+ Dual Core Processor
4 Gig ram
SAMSUNG HD322HJ 300Gb hard drive
SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500Gb hard drive
2XLG DVD Dual Layer Drives
ATI Radeon HD 5750 Graphice Card
CPU 750 Watt

I have owned two 5770 V2s for awhile now. Never really overclocked them though because maybe people say you have to use MSIAfterburn and overvolt them. I don't understand why though, doesn't CCC overclocking increase everything needed when you overclock core/memory?

Back