Post Your College Setups!!!

i had a nice laptop with me until about 2 months ago when i realized that it was pretty useless to have a laptop in the college environment. i am a computer science major, and i used my laptop once in class for notes and stuff and realized that it was easier to just write it. so i decided to sell the laptop for beer/digital cable/cable internet money (yes our school provides us with t1 internet, but the fire wall blows, and we cant download anything or play alot of games on line so we got a 5mbit cable connection :) )

bla.jpg

Shuttle ST61G4B
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800 FSB (Northwood)
Mushkin 1024 MB PC3200 Dual Channel
Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM
Lite-ON 52x32x52x16 CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Audigy SoundBlaster Live! 24-Bit 7.1
ATi X800XT AIW
NOS sticker. (Effortless OC, adds 500MHz to stock)

compslckr said:
updated mine again, college is all about fitting as much crap as possiable in the smallest space possiable
newestdormshotwithtv.jpg
My God, I can hear that Xbox screaming in pain from here! :D

FYI boys, you need to work on your skillz. When I was your age (yes I went there), we had our desks side by side underneath a large shelf that was bolted to the wall. Add on top of this a piece of plywood 8 feet long with three 4x4 posts, one sat between the desks and the other two at the ends. The printers (inkjet and laser) and PCs sat on this shelf. Monitors, keyboards, mice and disks on the desks themselves. 4 PCs, one hub and a network connection to the room next door. If you're wondering how we got 4 PCs, here's the setup. PCs 1 and 3 were near the end of the desks, PC 2 was facing out and was in between them. PC 4 was at the very end of the second desk but turned 90 degrees and had a small stand in front for the mouse and keyboard.

shoes said:
yes that is batman.

Shuttle ST61G4B
MSI GeForce FX 5200 (needs to be better)
Looks good, could look better with some dusting!

haha i didnt even know it was dusty there, you cant see it in normal light. damn i guess that one GE commercial is right....

Well now that I have a camera I suppose I'll contribute my setup. And yes I did clean just for the picture ;)
college%20setup.jpg

Taken in my crazy all wood house at school. You can see the original house on the left (white paint.) The floors, walls and 6'9" ceilings are all wood. And our utility bills are horrendous. And no I don't like the keyboard tray its too low. Thats all for now :cool:

I had the same poster of the girls kissing(except mine was the one that was some kind of plastic and took up half of my 11foot long wall)... BUT MY GIRLFRIEND AT THE TIME THREW IT OUT :mad: :(

and does anyone know where i can upload some pics to so i can post them?

i wish we could have a massive shelf bolted to the wall, but we have cinderblock walls and they notice every little piece of damage we do (for example we have like 10 small dart marks on the back of our door from playing darts when we were a little drunk and missed the board. they charged us $20 to sand the door down and repaint it)

Suprisingly the xbox is a pretty durable little device. i was a little worried about having it under the tv, but my room mate and i each had one and we were using them to jack up my 40" rear projection tv, so i figured that if 2 xboxes can hold up the 40" then one could hold my 13" :)

as for a free uploading service, feel free to use my site. www.1stclasspcs.com/uploader

Sorry for the huge pics, forgot to resize and I'm one lazy guy! I posted before, but some things changed, and my girlfriends but was in the way!
picuno.JPG

prettycoow.JPG

specs in the sig...if you care

my setup: this is in an apartment made for student so it a little better than dorm but still small. i know your all going to say wire management but i dont care at the moment because the desktop you see in the screen is going back home next week when my stuff from newegg arrives.
setup.JPG

Big Laptop: Toshiba 2.2 P4 512RAM 32MB GeForce 4
IBM Desktop: Dads work computer from home he sent me when my toshiba had to be sent off for repairs. P4 2.8 256RAM 16MB onboard graphics
IBM Laptop: my dads old work laptop i take to class because its light and has good battery life. all i know is its a P3.

hey lesman,
i like that silver/blue theme you got going there ! what kind of monitor are you using? and whats this i hear about your girlfriend being uber hot? ;)

ericlikeseatin said:
hey lesman,
i like that silver/blue theme you got going there ! what kind of monitor are you using? and whats this i hear about your girlfriend being uber hot? ;)
Thanks! The monitor is made by a company just coming out called ILO. I decided to take a huge chance and buy it, and I was not dissapointed! Good response time, great color reproduction, nice brightness. It's not near as good as top of the line LCDs, but it's great if you want a monitor that will get the job done and then some! Yeah, I'm about to break the blue with a little green; I ordered some UV reactive green cable sleeving from xoxide the other day. I just want a little bit of contrast, ya know? As for my girlfriend..no comment...except she hijacked the thread for a little bit! I didn't realize her booty was in the picture, and people started looking at that rather than my comp. But I kept the pic on anyway! ;) :D

does the Nos sticker on ur shuttle make it faster?

shoes said:
setup2.jpg

yes that is batman.

Shuttle ST61G4B

lesman said:
As for my girlfriend..no comment...except she hijacked the thread for a little bit! I didn't realize her booty was in the picture, and people started looking at that rather than my comp. But I kept the pic on anyway! ;) :D
could ya repost it? for those of us who missed it? please.... :D ;)

TSS Modder said:
could ya repost it? for those of us who missed it? please.... :D ;)
Sorry, my friend, the picture's gone! It took a trip to the land of re-format-without-backing-up-a-lot-of-stuff...sorry!

lesman said:
Sorry, my friend, the picture's gone! It took a trip to the land of re-format-without-backing-up-a-lot-of-stuff...sorry!
dangit... well, knowing everyone else at the [H] as well as i do, im sure SOMEONE saved that pic. at least i hope... :)

any of you boys happen to have a pic of lesman's gf's arse?

o yea, and to stay ontopic: nice setups guys. some of you can really make some really good use outta your workspaces.

Here is my off campus apartment room:

room2.jpg

From left to right: Grado SR60s, Sony CMT-CP100, Samsung 760v, ipod, my tower is next to my desk - a sheet of paper is lying on the top. I should clean my desk...haha! :p

TSS Modder said:
dangit... well, knowing everyone else at the [H] as well as i do, im sure SOMEONE saved that pic.
good use outta your workspaces.
Good lord, I hope not....It wasn't THAT great a pic...it just barely showed her behind...come on now, guys. Well, some of you might argue it was THAT great of a pic, but come on, the threads derailing again, let's not keep that up, please.
P.S...I hope no one saved it...that would freak me out a bit...that would be like...obsessive, or even stalking... :( as I shudder, I click submit...

shoes said:
setup2.jpg

yes that is batman.

Shuttle ST61G4B
My old computer came with the same keyboard/monitor(great monitor)/speakers...
:D

yeah dude this monitor is awesome. i have had it for more than 2 years now and not one dead pixel.

ROFL at you guys making fun of my NOS sticker. its true though, it does make my comp go faster.

i should post pictures of my roommates' comps, they have full size towers and they both have big ass nos stickers on them. its funny as hell

This is my setup...at least, my desk...
DSC02324.sized.jpg

I will have to post better pics of my computers and desk tonight..these are all I have right now

But I am running:
FreeBSD Box: specs in sig
WinXP Pro Box: athlonxp 1800@2200 speeds, 512Mb pc133 :( 2x 9.1Gb 10krpm u320, 60Gb ata133 with a geforcefx 5700 256Mb. It plays cs:s and thats all that matters :D

I got Logitech Z680 5.1 speakers that I love, and I have a Samsung 712N 17" LCD that I also love...its great for gaming, movies, even recompiling kernel/world in freebsd (seen above) :p

For the sake of future people quoting Shoes, I'm willing to resize that picture if you send it to me.

[email protected]

Same for anyone else considering posting a 1600x1200 bitmap photo!

Bump...it fell off the first page. I'm going to college next year, it's fun to see how all of you are working out space requirements and stuff...

Two for the moment, my laptop is being loaned out and I just ordered another computer. That'll go next to the tower on the floor.

img00567fm.jpg

img00572sk.jpg

Specs:
(box on desk)
Athlon XP 3200+ OC'd to 2.4 Ghz
512 MB PC3200
280 GB HDD (Windows XP) or 40GB (Server 2003 w/ ISA Server 2000)
ATI 9200SE
SB Audigy Platinum
Asus TV Tuner

(box on floor)
Duron 1.3 Ghz OC'd to 1.5 Ghz
768 MB PC133
32 GB HDD (Server 2003)
Some POS Graphics Card

ReaperofDreams said:
Two for the moment, my laptop is being loaned out and I just ordered another computer. That'll go next to the tower on the floor.

http://img233.exs.cx/img233/5963/img00567fm.jpg
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/6329/img00572sk.jpg

Specs:
(box on desk)
Athlon XP 3200+ OC'd to 2.4 Ghz
512 MB PC3200
280 GB HDD (Windows XP) or 40GB (Server 2003 w/ ISA Server 2000)
ATI 9200SE
SB Audigy Platinum
Asus TV Tuner

(box on floor)
Duron 1.3 Ghz OC'd to 1.5 Ghz
768 MB PC133
32 GB HDD (Server 2003)
Some POS Graphics Card

That sure looks really tight. I think this was mentioned earlier, but you probably want to think building a free standing shelf above your desk for the towers. It will give much more desk space and floor space.

//edit: another thing that could save desk space is getting rid of that older monitor hooked up to your server and using a KVM switch or remote desktop (VNC) to control it.

NeBa said:
That sure looks really tight. I think this was mentioned earlier, but you probably want to think building a free standing shelf above your desk for the towers. It will give much more desk space and floor space.

//edit: another thing that could save desk space is getting rid of that older monitor hooked up to your server and using a KVM switch or remote desktop (VNC) to control it.

I had a shelf above the monitors before, unfortunately it ripped out of the wall, and i came home in dismay as all forms of electronics were everywhere. I plan on getting a new desk soon though, one of those modular metal wire ones.

I use the second monitor to watch tv and movies on while I'm working on my computer. I access my server through remote desktop.

ReaperofDreams said:
I had a shelf above the monitors before, unfortunately it ripped out of the wall, and i came home in dismay as all forms of electronics were everywhere. I plan on getting a new desk soon though, one of those modular metal wire ones.

I use the second monitor to watch tv and movies on while I'm working on my computer. I access my server through remote desktop.

Ahh, ok, it just looked like it had it's own start button. Hopefully the new desk will make enough room for you.

viper92086 said:
it's aight.... tad boring if u don't like sitting in front of ur comp all day
How could you possibly not enjoy sitting in front of a PC all day?! ;)

compslckr said:
updated mine again, college is all about fitting as much crap as possiable in the smallest space possiable
newestdormshotwithtv.jpg

I have that Problem solving with C++ book. I hate my C++ class so much, my teacher is horrible.
:rolleyes:

my professor is horriable, he smells terriable ( combination of bo and bad breath, like he has not taken a shower in a month), and all he does to "teach" us c++ is read random pieces of code from the projector.

that is why i bought the book because cant stand listening to him, so i just work from the sam's teach your self c++ book during class and so far i think i am about 4 chapters ahead of the class in our normal textbook

My setup at UMR, TJ hall.

setup8eo.jpg

Sorry, that's horribly blurry and i'm way too lazy to take another.

setup18aj.jpg

Where I spend most of my time.

setup22yt.jpg

My cheap walmart shelving, we don't have any shelving what so ever.

setup33xh.jpg

Rockin' Bookshelf / Dirty dish holder.

Yes, that is a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy poster above my tv. :cool:

How does those speakers sound?

yuthinasia said:
My setup at UMR, TJ hall.

setup8eo.jpg

Sorry, that's horribly blurry and i'm way too lazy to take another.

setup18aj.jpg

Where I spend most of my time.

setup22yt.jpg

My cheap walmart shelving, we don't have any shelving what so ever.

setup33xh.jpg

Rockin' Bookshelf / Dirty dish holder.

Yes, that is a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy poster above my tv. :cool:

Back