leftfe5.jpg

sn21g5icesmbu9.jpg

+

zal1no4.jpg

=

aaack9.jpg

cccnj1.jpg

ok, here is my ghetto mod

It started looking like this, its a stock gateway case, and that metal rack too up a TON of space, and the sata sables were hard to hook up w/o smashing them on the side panel:
hdposition003-1.jpg

So i too that out, but didnt have a place for my [H]ard drive, so, my computer came with a "media bay" i took that out, and this is what it looked like:
DSC04050.jpg

Then, i had to put my hard drive somewhere... so, where the media bay was, i decided to put it up there. I took an old Hard drive apart, and took this random piece of metal out of it, put some duct tape on it to help hold it up,and wedged the hard drive in there:
DSC04051.jpg

DSC04052.jpg

DSC04053.jpg

DSC04054.jpg

i also managed to get a fan up there too!
oh, and he sharpie was so it wouldnt reflect right at me when i was sleeping

Since I'm spamming all the picture threads tonight, I might as well add my router in here.

Via C3-600 underclocked @ 400mhz, running on a prototype embedded board from Nexcom. Silverstone speed controlled 80mm fan, externally accessible CF card boot drive, lots of cardboard and duct tape. It's running the m0n0wall Freebsd router distribution.

My regular routers were driving me nuts so I went crazy one night and pulled the Nexcom out of mothballs. In its standard case it ran really hot (supposedly fanless :p) so I wrapped up a bunch of cardboard and duct tape and bolted it to the existing mounting holes on the chassis. It's been rock solid for months now.

yeah... are you booting another OS from it?

That CF card is the *only* drive in the system. It's currently running m0n0wall, but I plan on adding a wireless card to it and trying some other distributions. It just makes experimentation easier in the long run.

My homemade center speaker stand.

Made from futon parts I got out of the trash, a cut up ATI Remote Wonder Plus box, and lots of duck/gorilla tape
IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

My wife looked at that speaker stand and goes "you're not doing anything like that!"

I'll just buy a new desk.

My wife looked at that speaker stand and goes "you're not doing anything like that!"

I'll just buy a new desk.
Ohh I bet you could wrap enough black gorilla tape around it to make it nice looking! Just tell her she wont even see it because it will be behind the TV!

It's surprisingly stable. It pretty much stays up because it's wedged between the wall the the back edge of the desk with some tape to keep it from sliding sideways. I'm surprised it's stayed up for as long as it has considering the speaker weights like 11 pounds.

I was told that I should post my Linux "Box" in this forum... Let me know what you guys think!:cool:

overview.jpg

I-Opanel.jpg

CDROM.jpg

What about the cardboard speaker stands and your intel northbridge cooler Vaca? I think we should post pictures of Roy's room. Everything is ghetto in there.

What about the cardboard speaker stands and your intel northbridge cooler Vaca? I think we should post pictures of Roy's room. Everything is ghetto in there.

Don't forget the filter taped into the front of my case, and the 120mm fans taped onto the back of my sub

Ohh I bet you could wrap enough black gorilla tape around it to make it nice looking! Just tell her she wont even see it because it will be behind the TV!

It's surprisingly stable. It pretty much stays up because it's wedged between the wall the the back edge of the desk with some tape to keep it from sliding sideways. I'm surprised it's stayed up for as long as it has considering the speaker weights like 11 pounds.

you could maker her happy,and do a piano black shiny finish on them ^_^

I got a new desk recently with a keyboard tray way too narrow for both my keyboard and mouse, so i made a retractable mouse surface out of the hardware for a keyboard tray.

gm_open_(Small).jpg

gm_closed_(Small).jpg

gm_closed_b_(Small).jpg

Yeah man that monitor stand is totally badass... I would say its completely functional and not ghetto at all, lol.

As for that mousepad expansion, thats like the best idea i've seen in forever. I'm doing that to one of my desks as soon as I can!

All of you guys have mad skills...

Thanks everyone for all the props

For the mouse extension you can go to Lows and they have the kit for it bagged, just find a piece of wood that kinda matches your desk, mine was a cherry veneer and dark desk so the dark red wood i got for the mouse extension fit nicely.

Maybe take all of 30 minuets to get it together, one thing to keep in mind though is screw length. When you screw it into the bottom of the keyboard tray you want screws long enough to give a nice strong fit, but not too long as to go through. Also make sure you measure out the distance between the hangers so that they match up snugly with the sliders, and so that they are straight (don't want the mouse coming out at some odd angle). If you have any other questions about it or want some more pictures, feel free to pm me.

Back