Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
in reference to flutie98's post: Are those the A900's or the A500's ... how do you like them?

in reference to lorcani's post: WTF?! you ise Ipod headphones with your Zen are you breeding them to get a new mp3 player or something? whats wrong with just the stock buds that came with it? ( i doubt that the ipod buds are any better) Is this just an attempt to be another one of the nameless faces with white earbuds? :eek:

jerb said:
in reference to lorcani's post: WTF?! you ise Ipod headphones with your Zen are you breeding them to get a new mp3 player or something? whats wrong with just the stock buds that came with it? ( i doubt that the ipod buds are any better) Is this just an attempt to be another one of the nameless faces with white earbuds? :eek:
:D

No, I'm not that bad of a trend-whore. Two of my family members have iPods they got for Christmas, and I got the Zen because I'm cheap. However, I was cleaning out my computer case and listening to music, and my damn earbuds got caught on something on my pants, and they got ripped out of my ears. I put them in again, completely dead. (hardly the best earbuds around. :rolleyes:) So, I'm borrowing whichever set of earbuds is available, which is really inconvenient for everybody. However, I'm not sure which are the best earbuds and canal phones in my price-range unamped.

The iPod buds are actually better than the Creative ones, it seems. Besides being notably more durable, the sound is a lot less muddy, and they can go to a higher volume as well to drown out outside sound (this is why I'm looking at canalphones, so I don't deafen myself).

Also, I think the iPod's sexual organs are on the player, so using the headphones with the Zen won't impregnate it. Hopefully. :p

you guys are evil, I still use (un-amplified, so i could use em with my iPod when i feel like em, and so my harman/kardon 2-channel speakers and my altec InMotions arent overshadowed) koss KSC-11's with the foam pads removed. I wanna get the new radioshack pair, 25 dollars for studio phones and the cord rolls into the body, OR, when I get my audigy 2 ZS platinum, the zalman true surround headphones and 3 nice little amps. But, all in due time, dropping 60 bucks on headphones just isnt what I need to do right now, especially with only 2 channel audio on my computer (you have to love onboard sound and budget tightness-they lock you out of good sound)

lorcani said:
:D

No, I'm not that bad of a trend-whore. Two of my family members have iPods they got for Christmas, and I got the Zen because I'm cheap. However, I was cleaning out my computer case and listening to music, and my damn earbuds got caught on something on my pants, and they got ripped out of my ears. I put them in again, completely dead. (hardly the best earbuds around. :rolleyes:) So, I'm borrowing whichever set of earbuds is available, which is really inconvenient for everybody. However, I'm not sure which are the best earbuds and canal phones in my price-range unamped.

The iPod buds are actually better than the Creative ones, it seems. Besides being notably more durable, the sound is a lot less muddy, and they can go to a higher volume as well to drown out outside sound (this is why I'm looking at canalphones, so I don't deafen myself).

Also, I think the iPod's sexual organs are on the player, so using the headphones with the Zen won't impregnate it. Hopefully. :p

cant be too sure now adays, evey one wants to be hip and own an ipod. yeah ipod buds may be better than creatives earbuds but i find that even a $5 pair of sony buds work better. ipod buds bass is vey muddy and its highs are very tinny. also they dont contain any sound but instead project it into the surrounding area (i can hear what my friends are listening to when they have them in)

if you are looking for a budget priced canalfone the sony fontopia (i think its ex71) are very bass heavy phones that are very comfy. if you can spend more then $40 and instead bump up your budget to $60 you can get a pair of shure e2c. i own these and they are very comfy, their sound is warm with more emphasis on the lower end (bass) sharp makes a canal phone aswell that is said to be the most comfy out of all of them. head on over to had-fi.org if you want any more information on these phones :cool:

I have:

Sony MDR-V6 (awesome headphones)
Zalman 5.1's (suck out the ass)
Phillips SBC HN100...modified with good drivers (sounds ok now)

Plus the obligatory few pair of freebie labtec microphone headphones.

Jodiuh said:
V6swithBeyerPads4.jpg

My MDR V6 has leather ear cusions...what did you do to yours?

Luthorcrow said:
I have heard nothing good about the sound out of those outside of DJing but for them not to be durable is a crime for the price. Christ you should be able should be able to pistol whip people with those things!

You are absolutely right about the sony's. I traded for a pair to compliment my Senn HD580's. I needed some bass.. yeah right.. it was a midrange jamfest. No detail, no precision, muddled midbass, absolutely awful. I am glad I didn't buy them... I need to throw them on ebay.

Anyone know of any good closed cans with great bass (I don't care if it's overly exaggerated if it's clean) for about $150-$300? It's mainly for trance and breaks. Clean detailed highs are important too. I would like them to go around my ears like my HD580's or be very comfortable. Basically.. I would like the sound of my HD580s with better bass. If there are open airs with good bass then I would consider them too. It will be pushed by an Musical Fidelity XCans V2 w/ sovtek tubes.

[..:: magnetik ::..]

BBA said:

he bought velour ear cushions meant for the DT 250s, but also fit for the V6s which can be purchased here

did u also take peel off that digital sticker too?

Im planning to get a Sennheiser HD 497. I would also like to get an amp to go with it. How can i get one? I don''t how to build one. Is there someone i can contact to make it for me?

jhego said:
Im planning to get a Sennheiser HD 497. I would also like to get an amp to go with it. How can i get one? I don''t how to build one. Is there someone i can contact to make it for me?

Mister X

I just bought the Sennheiser HD 580 on ebay. How does it compare to the rest of the audiophile series? or the HD 595.

ericlikeseatin said:
hey paxonator, where did you get that cool headphone stand?

I got it from a friend, but it's just a banana stand. I had to bend the hook out and cover it with plasti dip so the headphones would sit right though.

ericlikeseatin said:
Hey jodiah, thats a nice headphone stand. Where did you get it?

Hehe...walmart. Ask for the banana holder.

BBA said:

I have a nice bro, hehe.

infiniti029 said:
he bought velour ear cushions meant for the DT 250s, but also fit for the V6s which can be purchased here

did u also take peel off that digital sticker too?

Hmm....don't remember.

fibroptikl said:
E1, E2, E3, E5 (in an empty CD spindle as there is vinyl tubing around the cable so if my small animals get ahold of them they might be safer. The vinyl tubing prevents me from using them in the normal case)

ex.jpg

That is a LOT of canal lovin. Talk about devotion =).

compslckr said:
02-28-05_2232.jpg

there are mine, i wanted to try out my new cellphone camera, that is why the pics are not that great ;) but now i know my bluetooth and camera work well.

hd-497s - daytime listening
hd202- nighttime listening, walking around campus and when i dont feel like dealing with room mates

How do you like the HD202s? I would like an inexpensive closed can, but the low price kinda scares me.

I bought my first "real" headphones about a month ago, the Sennheiser PX100s. I absolutely love them.

It's a M3 from AMB & Morsel.
Information about it can be found here------------> http://www.amb.org/audio/mmm/

The performance is simply outstanding for a DIY amp. :)
(the midrange and top end are more transparent then the PPA and it's slightly cheaper to boot)

*drools*
I know what my next project is. Damn, that's one sweet looking amp.

Hey, about how much did that run you total? And what did you use for the power supply?

Eric1285 said:
Hey, about how much did that run you total?

As pictured....$400ish.

Remember a DACT C2 alone = $180 ;)

Eric1285 said:
And what did you use for the power supply?

I am currently using a Elpac WM080 but when the group buy for the custom Par-Metals cases pans out that will change to a STEPS v1.2 ;)

Audio-Technica ATH-A900s

http://www.audiocubes.com/images/f_audiotechnica_atha900.jpg

My headphones are at my dorm, but my cameras at home...so I don't have a real picture :(

I'm looking for an amp but don't know a whole lot about them. Right now I'm using an old Game Theater XP to drive them and it seems to do an alright job at it (I think they sound great). Anyone have any suggestions at around a ~$100-150 price range? I could maybe go up to $200 if really needed...

XMonkey-v2.0 said:
Audio-Technica ATH-A900s

http://www.audiocubes.com/images/f_audiotechnica_atha900.jpg

My headphones are at my dorm, but my cameras at home...so I don't have a real picture :(

I'm looking for an amp but don't know a whole lot about them. Right now I'm using an old Game Theater XP to drive them and it seems to do an alright job at it (I think they sound great). Anyone have any suggestions at around a ~$100-150 price range? I could maybe go up to $200 if really needed...

You're not going to get dramatic improvement by amping the A900s. ATH-A5/6/9 series are pretty low impedance at 40 ohms and easily driven with great sound straight out of most sources including soundcards and portable players. Save the money for some other new toy =).

vamp said:
You're not going to get dramatic improvement by amping the A900s. ATH-A5/6/9 series are pretty low impedance at 40 ohms and easily driven with great sound straight out of most sources including soundcards and portable players. Save the money for some other new toy =).

Ok, I know they had low impedance when I bought them (which, on top of sounding awesome, was another reason to get them), but I just wasn't sure how much I was missing out on by not using an amp.

Would it be worth it upgrading to a better sound card for music listening? Gaming performance is important, but not as much now as it was when I got the GTXP.

Just got some Sennheiser 595s today, FANTASTIC sound quality. I got the 50 ohm version so I am not sure I really want to get an amp or not. As of now all my music sounds good........too good........because now I have to rerip a lot of my CDs at higher quality with EAC/LAME -alt extreme. These headphones really make an imperfections shine through :p

Just use --alt-preset standard. --alt-preset extreme is overkill and a waste of space. Even the developer says apx isn't any better.

If you are really interested in sound quality assurance for future upgrades, then go lossless. FLAC is the way to go.

GodsMadClown said:
If you are really interested in sound quality assurance for future upgrades, then go lossless. FLAC is the way to go.

And a bigger HDD... :)

Thanks for the recommendations, I thought of using FLAC/APE but decided the space used wouldn't be worth the slight increase in quality over properly ripped files.

I used EAC/LAME with EAC set to be "slow and sound good"(or something similar) and LAME w/ VBR settings at (IIRC) V - 0(Highest Quality) and the minimum bitrate being b - 192. That way it never drops below 192 but will spike up to 320 if neccessary.

I did a sound quality test on 2 Tracks, Portishead - Roads, and Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One). I tested them in WinAMP using an ASIO plugin.

My old mp3s of these tracks were ripped using Music Match @ 160 kbps back in 1999.

I listened to the old mp3s, the CD version, then the test mp3s.

With the new Senn 595s I could hear compression artifacts/distortion(whatever the terminology may be) in both old tracks that was not audible before on my other headphones(Senn 457), and a lack of "depth".

The cd version was awesome of course, then I tried the new mp3s, both of them were crystal clear, I turned up the volume to above-normal-listening-volume-but-not-painful and messed with the EQ a bit too to see if I could fin any quality differences, and I didn't hear anything.

Later I tested Portishead - Half Day Closing which on the CD contains a lot of intentional distorted/garbled overlapping vocals and odd noises. Same thing, the orignal CD and the new MP3s both had the exact same sound even when dealing with such distorted and odd sounding psychedelic material.

So yeah, pretty sure those are the settings I will use to reencode my collection :)

Use the ABX plugin in Foobar2000, kernel streaming to a decent soundcard. You can tell the difference every time between lossy and lossless. Even 320 CBR LAME, MPC or OGG.

Today I recieved a Zu Mobius Senn cable, and Zu Birth power cable. Pics:

p32400038xs.jpg

p32400042yw.jpg

Complete system rundown:
Liebert power conditioning UPS
1M Zu Birth PC
MisterX PPA (STeps, diamond buffers, lots of extras)
MisterX EMU 0404 cables (RCA-1/4)
EMU 0404 (Gonna upgrade opamps someday when I have free time)
2.5M Zu Mobius
Sennheiser HD650

I am now done upgrading my headphone rig. This is it. Seriously.

*Well, maybe I should get a DAC1...

saturnine2 said:
Today I recieved a Zu Mobius Senn cable, and Zu Birth power cable. Pics:

p32400042yw.jpg

So tell me does it sparkle like a disco ball in the light? ;)

By the way, what is that CD case with the fat chicks on the cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back