Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed my setup a little.

pa2v2.jpg

pic2
pic3

Got a little PA2v2 headphone amp. I have not had it long at all, but this will eventually be for a portable setup once I get an MP3 player and when my beyerdynamic DT231 headphones come in. For the moment though, I'm using it with my main setup.

I'm very impressed with the build quality and the size. it's sooo small (2.5" x 2.5" x 1")!

~Towert7

time for a stupid question...
what are those "boxes" in all your guys pictures, that connect your headphones to your Mp3 player? what do they do?

Wes Mantooth said:
time for a stupid question...
what are those "boxes" in all your guys pictures, that connect your headphones to your Mp3 player? what do they do?
Some people have many diffrent types of "boxes", but the one in my picture is a headphone amplifier. It amplifies the signal to make the headphones louder. Some of the less transparent headphone amps impart their own sonic signiture to the audio as well, which some people enjoy).

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
It amplifies the signal to make the headphones louder. Some of the less transparent headphone amps impart their own sonic signiture to the audio as well, which some people enjoy).

Just saying it makes the headphones louder is simplifying it just a bit. Most headphone jacks on audio equipment tend to be underpowered for driving headphones (Mp3/Portable CD players are usually guilty of this). A headphone amp will remedy that problem and generally improve things in the sound like dynamics, soundstage, and imaging. Of course, the amp is just a part in the audio chain. The ever popular "crap-in = crap-out" applies here.

strid3r said:
Just saying it makes the headphones louder is simplifying it just a bit. Most headphone jacks on audio equipment tend to be underpowered for driving headphones (Mp3/Portable CD players are usually guilty of this). A headphone amp will remedy that problem and generally improve things in the sound like dynamics, soundstage, and imaging. Of course, the amp is just a part in the audio chain. The ever popular "crap-in = crap-out" applies here.
Yes, you are right. That's what I was trying to get at when I said "Some of the less transparent headphone amps impart their own sonic signiture to the audio as well, which some people enjoy". Maybe that was too ambiguous. :(

FLECOM said:
im building a dynamite, but im half done, so i have a dynahi at the moment lol ;)

it does a great job of driving the K1000's, better than i expected really...

still not 100% satisfied, but im expecting the dynamite and the k1000's should be a match made in heaven... well, solid state heaven anyway :D

my only warning tho is dynahi's put out stupid amounts of heat, so if you plan on building one dont go skimpy on the heatsink, PII/PIII heatsinks are almost the exact same size as the width of the pcb so those work great, and are cheap, if not free!

heres my ubar ghetto/fire hazard dynahi at the tampa meet... complete with dell PII heatsinks from some Optiplex GX1's that we were tossing at work

DSCN0102.jpg

Thanks!

Approximate costs of the Dynamite? I've looked at custom builders like SFT and they're around $1500-2500.

And by the way I am set on the K1000, I'm getting pair for sure!

NulloModo said:
Sony V600s best headphones I have ever heard.
How many headphones have you heard? I think even the Sony MDR V6 do better than the 600, and then there are many other cans that massively outperform those.

saturnine2 said:
New amp :) Another MisterX job, a portable Pimeta!

p11701950ga.jpg

Wow, you should feel special.
That one was actually built with the components on the right side of the circuit board. :D

What is your average battery life ?

Mister X said:
That one was actually built with the components on the right side of the circuit board. :D

What is your average battery life ?
Huh? lol! :D

I don't know about the battery life yet, so far I have around 6 hours on it and it's still going strong. Sounds most excellent with the Koss KSC-35/75! Do you know if there is enough spare room in the Serpac case for a switchable bass boost circuit? The ER-4P needs a little extra oomph :)

What would be a noticable upgrade from my 580 precisions ? but not one that would break the bank...

saturnine2 said:
Do you know if there is enough spare room in the Serpac case for a switchable bass boost circuit? The ER-4P needs a little extra oomph :)

You could fit a mini slide switch in there.
Stick it out the right hand side where is there isn't much on the board that is in the way.

The tough part is going to be making a space for the extra caps and resistors in the feedback loop....

this is how I did it once:

boostpimeta.jpg

Seems like a perfect fit :) I'll give it a shot this weekend, gotta grab some more breadboard.

BTW, I finally built a amp a few weeks back. It was a basic CMOY with mostly ratshack components. Ending up working, but sounded like shite (picked up so much EMI, and the POT was a POS) so I sold it to a friend. I'm going to try building a Millet sometime soon, hopefully it turns out better :)

I was sitting here trying to figure out how I did that.
the best I came up with is this----->

bassboost.png

The little blew dots marked in and out are actually solder pins that plug into where R4 goes on the pimeta board.
R4 then gets relocated to the perboard. :)

Mister X said:
The little blew dots marked in and out are actually solder pins that plug into where R4 goes on the pimeta board.
R4 then gets relocated to the perboard. :)
Ahh, I was wondering how you did that, thanks for saving me the time :) Good idea, and thanks for the image too.

Maybe I could squeeze in a custom crossfeed next? :D

Yea except for the switches....
I tried it once in that little Serpac case and it was a nightmare.
However if you go up one size to the H67 there is plenty of room.
And you can also fit two 9 volt batteries in that case. ;)

Unless you managed to get that one screw out of the current case this could all be moot. :D

Mister X said:
Unless you managed to get that one screw out of the current case this could all be moot. :D
I already took this bad boy apart, and didn't see a stripped screw anywhere. I do prefer this smaller pocket size case, so no case upgrades :p

I was thinking of using a small sliding switch for the bassboost, so it should work if there is enough clearance room on top. If not, then screw it, I'm happy with the smaller size..

Also to keep up with the thread topic, I just ordered a pair of the Alessandro MS-1s. Again. They will be heavily modded :cool:

Well, I've had my new beyerdynamic DT231 for a little while, and just managed to take a few pics.
The DT231 by itself:
dt231a.jpg

With my portable amp, the PA2v2:
dt231b.jpg

Eventually I plan on getting a nice little MP3 player and using this as a fully portable college backpack setup. That way if I ever have any free time between class, work, and teaching I can just jam to some music!

As for how they sound, I'll just quickly sum it up. For the price, these things rock! They give you almost the whole beyerdynamic sound, at a fraction of the cost. I personally prefer their sound over the senn HD280pro and HD497. Their overall signiture is close to that of the DT990pro, yet less refined. These cans are very very easy to drive, which makes them great for portable use. The ear pads are soft velour, yet rather small (similar to the HD497). The headband is a little strange. No problems with ear pad comfort or heat, nor weight.

For the sub 60$ price range, these are amazing. Music is lively as always!

~Enjoy

saturnine2 said:
I already took this bad boy apart, and didn't see a stripped screw anywhere. I do prefer this smaller pocket size case, so no case upgrades :p

I was thinking of using a small sliding switch for the bassboost, so it should work if there is enough clearance room on top. If not, then screw it, I'm happy with the smaller size..

Also to keep up with the thread topic, I just ordered a pair of the Alessandro MS-1s. Again. They will be heavily modded :cool:

You could just get rid of it for a Xin SuperMini of course.... X-Feed, bass boost and impedance matching options combined with high performance amping in the space of 4 AA cells.

My PC headphones :) Altec Lansing AHS 502 for skype very good, but not for music :/

dsc023492ey.jpg

dsc023513ti.jpg

Benton The Race said:
Just got my first "real" headphones, er6is.

Beautiful. I need to get a pair of those for my Nano. I compared them with some Shure e3c's. I preferred the Etys, not only in sound, but also in their cord girths. The Ety's felt so light and "not there." I couldn't forget the shurse were round my neck with the big fat bling y joint, lol!!

THX,

You have Tannoy speakers on your 'puter? I see the altecs right next to them....

Joey

Pinipig523 said:
THX,

You have Tannoy speakers on your 'puter? I see the altecs right next to them....

Joey

Yes I had columns tannoy MX2 with amplifier Sony TA-FA3ES but I sold it, becouse sound was worse than altec system.

Philip

Phillip...

The Tannoys sounded worse than the Altec System... hmm.. I havent heard Tannoys, but I have heard your speakers before. The Altecs are based on a line array speaker arent they? Impressive technology for such a little guy IMO.

You gotta come over my place if you have the chance. Your Altecs remind me of a mini version of my Vantage.

Cheers,
Joey

altec's been around for ages... I still woulda kept the tannoy's and gotten a better amp..

Chair said:
altec's been around for ages... I still woulda kept the tannoy's and gotten a better amp..

You cant say that unless you've heard both sets of speakers.

Benton The Race said:
Just got my first "real" headphones, er6is. Currently going straight into my iPod until I get my amp.

Very nice. Btw, they're coming out black version of er6i too. Resemble the older er6.

Ahh.. the collection is updated :)

Shure e2g:
imgp11955up.jpg

Alessandro MS-1
imgp11986tb.jpg

Audio Technica A900:
imgp12015sj.jpg

The Collection on my stand (Tea towel hanger from the Bay :) ):
imgp12045ee.jpg

I want some Audio Technica A900s... How do you like them for gaming? (I already know they sound good with music :D )

I love then for gaming. I think out there it basically comes down to 2 gaming cans. The a900s if you don't want an amp, or the Beyer DT770 if you want an amp (plus some extra boomy explosions). The positioning/soundstage on them is fantastic. The only issue I run into with bf2/other FPS games is its sometimes hard ro determine front/back and up/down. I think that may be more of an audigy 2 issue though. I'm looking to upgrade to an x-fi as soon as I can, and I'll see if that makes a difference.

portableheadsetrig002.jpg
]

ksc-75 and hd201 and MisterX cmoy all going into a xfi plat.
i think ill be selling my hd201's when my a500 comes in.

280amp.jpg

hd-280s + cmoy, now i just need a better sound card (soundstorm is noisy as hell)

it'd be in an altoids tin, but i messed up laying it out and it didn't fit. that tin is a little taller and wider, but shorter length-wise. i can *almost* fit 2 9v in it... won't quite close tho :( maybe i'll mess with it later, for now it works.

the black knight always triumphs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back