Post Your Mac Setup!

@ Hound:
I have to say you have a nice setup there, but damn. Can you say cluster fuck!!! But looks like you are a video editor or something so makes sense.

@ Hound:
I have to say you have a nice setup there, but damn. Can you say cluster fuck!!! But looks like you are a video editor or something so makes sense.

It's more of a space issue than anything; I'd love to be more spread out.
I am, however, a university student, and living on campus, and so I'm way cramped for space. The desks are tiny and come with some little shelf thingy on them, but I removed it to put the wire rack on. The only space I get here is vertical.
I graduate in May, and I'll hopefully be moving into more spacious digs, and can then buy a proper desk. The desks the school gives seem to be from the 70s, when people just had typewriters, if that. You should see how tiny the bedroom is, barely enough room to walk between the beds.

new 17" c2d!
webmbp.jpg

desksetup1.jpg

piako , great idea of posting an animated gif instead of 5 or so jpegs... that saves a ton of screen space! wish everyone would start doing it

Just to laugh At haha:

IMG_0045.JPG

Middle of the road Macbook (2.0ghtz) TiBook (1ghtz,1Gig) and the 17" Sony.

Like my desk.... fuck yes you do.

Just redid my setup, cause I got a second LCD (let's hope they have babies...).
15" MBP w/2GB of RAM:

Which then connects to:

2x Dell 2005 fpw, MBP gets the Studio Pro 4s, keyboard and mouse shared via kvm.

Jeez hound nice das keyboard... as soon as I'm finished building my hotrod that will be the final touch..

Oh, and I like the headphones :p

Jeez hound nice das keyboard... as soon as I'm finished building my hotrod that will be the final touch..

Oh, and I like the headphones :p

HOTROD!!!!!!!!!

Also, I freaking love those headphones. I'm going to build an amp for them--do the altoids tin thing--after finals.

Say...shouldn't you be studying?

Apple Macbook Core Duo 1.83
Apple Cinema HD DIsplay
Logitech Z4i Speakers

Wallpaper is Of Me and You by Psychopulse. It can be downloaded @ InterfaceLIFT

Take it that is the bluetooth mouse and keyboard but what is the little white box on the left between the screen and speaker?

Only a true Apple fanboy (in the most enduring sense of the word) and a Cinema Display owner would know what it is; the rest of us with Dells are just sad computerists, haha! If only the 23" HD display had more connectivity. I like the Dell but it doesn't hold a candle next to that sexy monitor.

Only a true Apple fanboy (in the most enduring sense of the word) and a Cinema Display owner would know what it is; the rest of us with Dells are just sad computerists, haha! If only the 23" HD display had more connectivity. I like the Dell but it doesn't hold a candle next to that sexy monitor.

i think PRICE is the major sticking point. its hard to spend a lot of extra money for the same panel with a different case. its like buying a lexus or an acura, you are really buying a toyota or a honda rebadged so idiots will pay more for them.

i think PRICE is the major sticking point. its hard to spend a lot of extra money for the same panel with a different case. its like buying a lexus or an acura, you are really buying a toyota or a honda rebadged so idiots will pay more for them.

It came down to which looked better. I cheaped out and bought the Dell. That said, I am making full use of the extra connectivities. When I have available funds, I may look into the 30" display and I'll do it "right" this time.

For me, there is something to be said for aesthetic values and ultimately I purchased the MBP over the Macbook for this very reason.

as a proud Acura owner, I'm pretty offended by that statement. I'm not an "idiot" for buying a "rebadged" Honda. Yes, Honda owns Acura, and of course there are similarities but my TSX isn't just an American Domestic Accord with an "A" instead of an "H". It's a different style, built for a different purpose, and targetted toward a different audience. I saw value in the differences between the Accord and TSX, I liked the interior styling, it was more comfortable, it was a more fun drive, and gladly paid the extra for those differences. So how am I an idiot?

As far as the differences between the panels, it comes down to personal preference. In my home office, I have a 23" ACD i use with my MacBook and another Dell 24" panel hooked up to my Vista Machine and I much prefer the ACD over the Dell. For me, I use one input on both: the DVI connector. As a designer, the color reproduction on the ACD was gorgeous, whereas the Dell took some serious calibration and still isn't quite right. And of course, I care about asthetics. Not that everyone should, or people are wrong for not, I just do and personally I think the ACD is a gorgeous piece of machinery. As such, I'd recommend it to anyone that might need a professional quality monitor and is will to pay the price for it.

Anyway, here's my office rig (provided by my company)
05-09-07_1119.jpg

MacBook 2.0 gHz, 24" iMac, 17" crappy second monitor for mail client and itunes, and i think there's a 60gb ipod in there somewhere, but that's mine

Hehe, I actually knew what the white box is. Your first guess would be a USB hub, but I've been in CompUSA enough to know what a power adapter for a ACD looks like, even though I don't have one. I wish I did, though, I definitely think that they are sharper than my HP vs17.

as a proud Acura owner, I'm pretty offended by that statement. I'm not an "idiot" for buying a "rebadged" Honda. Yes, Honda owns Acura, and of course there are similarities but my TSX isn't just an American Domestic Accord with an "A" instead of an "H". It's a different style, built for a different purpose, and targetted toward a different audience. I saw value in the differences between the Accord and TSX, I liked the interior styling, it was more comfortable, it was a more fun drive, and gladly paid the extra for those differences. So how am I an idiot?

As far as the differences between the panels, it comes down to personal preference. In my home office, I have a 23" ACD i use with my MacBook and another Dell 24" panel hooked up to my Vista Machine and I much prefer the ACD over the Dell. For me, I use one input on both: the DVI connector. As a designer, the color reproduction on the ACD was gorgeous, whereas the Dell took some serious calibration and still isn't quite right. And of course, I care about asthetics. Not that everyone should, or people are wrong for not, I just do and personally I think the ACD is a gorgeous piece of machinery. As such, I'd recommend it to anyone that might need a professional quality monitor and is will to pay the price for it.

Cars are quite a bit different than electronics, but overall the rationale that paying more == better is not necessarily true by a long shot when it comes to electronics. There's no question that Apple's weakest product line is the LCD monitor. For what you are getting, they are overpriced and old technology. Valuing Aesthetics over reliability is not exactly the kind of methodology I would want to necessarily embrace. Apple makes great products, but their monitors leave something to be desired. The Apple Display forum is full of anomalies that occur with said monitors. On top of that, a one year warranty on their LCD's doesn't boost confidence with their product line. If people consider Apple LCD products professional, then why do I need to buy applecare to get a longer warranty on a monitor? No other high end manufacturer of LCD's does this. NEC offers a 3 year standard warranty, Eizo offers a 5 year warranty on most of their lineup. Even mass-mover of cheap parts Dell has a 3 year standard warranty on their LCD's. There is no reason for Apple to not step up to the market standard unless the cost/benefit ratio is one that hurts their bottom line. Apple monitors, great to look at, questionable reliability. Of course there are some people who've had flawless monitors, but it's questionable again. I've had people who've owned apple products tell me that what they are experiencing is a feature, not a flaw.

Apple monitors, great aesthetics, questionable reliability

Now before you attempt to point me out as someone who dislikes apple products, I own 3 macs. A Powerbook 17" 1.67ghz, and two 15" 1.5ghz laptops.

I like apple products, but I'm not as blind to not admit to their flaws nor do I care for brand loyalty when said producer starts selling crap based on the brand name.

Cars are quite a bit different than electronics, but overall the rationale that paying more == better is not necessarily true by a long shot when it comes to electronics. There's no question that Apple's weakest product line is the LCD monitor. For what you are getting, they are overpriced and old technology. Valuing Aesthetics over reliability is not exactly the kind of methodology I would want to necessarily embrace. Apple makes great products, but their monitors leave something to be desired. The Apple Display forum is full of anomalies that occur with said monitors. On top of that, a one year warranty on their LCD's doesn't boost confidence with their product line. If people consider Apple LCD products professional, then why do I need to buy applecare to get a longer warranty on a monitor? No other high end manufacturer of LCD's does this. NEC offers a 3 year standard warranty, Eizo offers a 5 year warranty on most of their lineup. Even mass-mover of cheap parts Dell has a 3 year standard warranty on their LCD's. There is no reason for Apple to not step up to the market standard unless the cost/benefit ratio is one that hurts their bottom line. Apple monitors, great to look at, questionable reliability. Of course there are some people who've had flawless monitors, but it's questionable again. I've had people who've owned apple products tell me that what they are experiencing is a feature, not a flaw.

Apple monitors, great aesthetics, questionable reliability

Now before you attempt to point me out as someone who dislikes apple products, I own 3 macs. A Powerbook 17" 1.67ghz, and two 15" 1.5ghz laptops.

I like apple products, but I'm not as blind to not admit to their flaws nor do I care for brand loyalty when said producer starts selling crap based on the brand name.

1. Yes - it should have a better warrenty.

2. The panel is an S-IPS type and is better in color and viewing angle, relative to other panels. Its not fair to give the negatives w/o givings some of its benefits.

3. There were QA issues early on - like pink tint, buts its on its 2nd or 3rd panel revision from LG, so many (but not all) of the issues have been corrected.

Hrmmm..im thinking about gettimg a mac soon..probably goin to be a Mac Pro but for the screen would u guys go with the Apple Cinema HD display or the Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW?

I've got a few new toys and complete rejigged my setup and office space so it was time to post a few new pictures:

DSCF4890.jpg

DSCF4891.jpg

DSCF4894.jpg

From left to right :

Macbook Pro Core Duo 2.0ghz with 2gb of ram

Mac mini 1.83ghz with 1gb of ram on top of a belkin kvm

Mini-Itx core duo 2.0ghz pc with 2gb of dd2 and a x800 gto2 graphics card

External Hard drive hooked up to the mini with two 500gb drives in for storage and backups

Dell 2407fpw , which I've just picked up its superb! So big and bright

Xbox 360 premium

LG lcd tv for the xbox and freeview tv

I've also just made a new chair for my office, its orginally a Cobra Clubman Car chair which I've modded to make it into an office chair.

DSCF4884.JPG

Its very comfy and looks great!

More pics of it here : http://gordyhand.co.uk/gallery/v/casemodding/others/chari/

Hrmmm..im thinking about gettimg a mac soon..probably goin to be a Mac Pro but for the screen would u guys go with the Apple Cinema HD display or the Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW?

If money is no object the apple, if it is the dell. Or is you want to hook up more than one computer to it the dell.

I've got a few new toys and complete rejigged my setup and office space so it was time to post a few new pictures:

DSCF4890.jpg

Did you custom build that desk for that area? It's so perfect.

And is it just me or do others have trouble keeping their desk clean like that? I always seem to accummulate crap. I get so angry sometimes I just want to burn the house down and start anew. Grrr!

Did you custom build that desk for that area? It's so perfect.

And is it just me or do others have trouble keeping their desk clean like that? I always seem to accummulate crap. I get so angry sometimes I just want to burn the house down and start anew. Grrr!

Yeah I built it myself from scratch. I'm the same on clean desks. I can't stand crap on it :D

Made a move today from 6x250GB in raid 10 to 2x750GB in raid 1 for the mac storage box. Running two brand new Seagate 750s. They are quiet which is realy nice, though they do seem to be running warm. One was at 44C the other like 37C. Plus I did some work on the desktop and downloaded some new guikits. Photopro 1.5 transparent is nice. Plus I added a 1000 MBit nic so all the PCI_64 slots are now used. I still have 6 ports open on my RocketRaid 2220 so I figure I'll make the move to 4 Raid 1 arrays making 700x4 = ~2.8 TB if I would ever need that. These seagate's a pretty fast. Here's a performance benchmark for two of those new 750s in Raid 1. Another in raid 0. I'm finding that raid 1 is a lot better than raid 5 or raid 10 for home storage.

Specs
lian-li pc v2000b
2 thermaltake w0070 psus
sawtooth g4 mobo
1gb pc100 ram
giga designs 1.8 ghz upgrade
rage 128 pro 16 mb videocard :p
2 ST3750640AS raid 1
1 WD360ADFD boot
HAWKING HGA32T nic
LITE-ON SHW-160P6S
plus some mods