Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

4.2, all voltages on auto. Idles 25-30 between the four cores and load hits low 70's using IBT. H100 cooler.

Good for you, atleast you got very close to your target! What temps are you seeing at 1.2volts?

About 31-32C idle, just ran IBT and saw 77C on one core. Usually a 10C spread across all cores.

IBT must do a number on them, considering I've been playing BF3/Skyrim and I don't think I've even come close to 70C in real world scenarios.

3570k @ 45x100 1.32v
custom watercooling (5x120 worth of rad)
72c after an hour of stress testing.
no changes to MB settings other than multi and core voltage.

Currently testing gigabyte z77x-u3h and a 3570k. I'm at +0.08 offset, low llc atm.

I had system at 4.5ghz clock @ 1.18V in bios :) Max temp on one of the cores was 77C with 26C in the room. Also my crappy 16gb sammy is running at 2133 although with lose timings ...

Then my o/c went caput on me, I was staborn to get always crashing at lunch 3dMARK11 basic to work without luck, I guess crashing windows/system in the process (and me playing with the settings) changed something in the BIOS. It was late last night and I was able to get 4.4ghz only. 3dMark11 would crash with CPU/GPU/RAM all running on stock speeds... It might be a nvidia driver problem... I don't know...

For my o/c I've used pretty much Druneau's MSI z77-gd65 settings, except Vdrop was set to Auto, vcore temp to desire temp and PLL to 1.65V.

You guys talk about o/c with offsets... do you know if this option is avaiable on MSI mobos?
Also should I lower PLL voltage to 1.5V?
Also is it better to have faster RAM or tighter RAM settings... i.e. 1600 8-8-8-22 vs 2133 10-10-10-28?

I would really apriciate if anyone would go over above settings and tell me if you see somethng that needs to be changed. ;)

TIA

For ram settings I fought with trying to get DDR2133 on my Z77A-GD65 and the motherboard didn't want to run them at all (kept getting "55" error upon booting).

Then I tested between 2000mhz and 1600mhz and did not see any difference. So I'm running DDR1600 loose timings.

My PLL is still a 1.82v, I haven't tested anything else.

For ram settings I fought with trying to get DDR2133 on my Z77A-GD65 and the motherboard didn't want to run them at all (kept getting "55" error upon booting).

Then I tested between 2000mhz and 1600mhz and did not see any difference. So I'm running DDR1600 loose timings.

My PLL is still a 1.82v, I haven't tested anything else.

Thank you very much... I was able to boot Sammy at 2133 with loose timings... However when I was trying to fix 3DMark, I messed up setttings. Tonight I might reset BIOS and start from scratch... Is your vcore still set to auto? what vcore voltage are you reading in cpu-z?

The rule with Sandy Bridge was that there was next to no benefit reflected in gaming going above 1600MHz. I haven't seen an Ivy Bridge scaling comparison yet. Given the architecture is largely the same though, I'd wager that it probably still holds true. Source: Here.

Earlier in the thread Forceman suggested to me using a static voltage to find what is appropriate for your chip and then try to match that voltage using the offset. So for instance if you find that your chip needs 1.25v static to do 4.5GHz, you can flip the switch to offset and then dial it in to match that static voltage at load. It will downvolt when not in use.

Also you may want to slow down on trying to change so many things at once. I would definitely start over. Leave the ram at default for now, and find settings that are acceptable for the chip first, then circle back and worry about the ram OC. Changing them both at the same time is going to create a lot of variables for you to check/adjust, which might drive you nuts trying to correct for issues in testing. For stability testing you might want to try Intel Burn Test. The temps out of that have far exceeded anything I've seen in real world use. If there's a problem with your settings, it's pretty quick to find them.

Adam,

Thanks for your reply. You are 100% right, with limited time on my hands and feeling a little sick yesterday I tried to accomplish too much in a short time of time... baby steps... CPU and than maybe RAM.. Like you said the difference between 1600 and 2133 is not huge. Mostly in encoding and such, which I don't do everyday...

I'm probably not seeing it LOL, but I don't see where to set vcore offset on MSI motherboard... :confused: :eek:

I went ASUS this time around, I'm afraid I won't be much help there :( I'd imagine it is there though.

And hey, if I can pay it forward after working through all my issues in this thread, I'll consider that a win.

You can leave them all on including C1E, EIST.

I noticed that with C3/C6 on (C1E and EIST as well), the idle vcore at 1600 tends to swing back and forth every second, and it gets into the sub 1.000V range every now and then.

With C3 and C6 off, but C1E and EIST on, the vcore at idle is very stable. It doesn't go below 1.056 @ 1600mhz for my system.

Just some interesting observations.

I noticed that with C3/C6 on (C1E and EIST as well), the idle vcore at 1600 tends to swing back and forth every second, and it gets into the sub 1.000V range every now and then.

With C3 and C6 off, but C1E and EIST on, the vcore at idle is very stable. It doesn't go below 1.056 @ 1600mhz for my system.

yeah, its somewhat crazy to see these cpu running on 0.800 vcore... After running a i7 930 with all powersaving options disabled for a few years at 4ghz+ I'm not used to this lol

C3/C6 are deeper sleep states (actually making the cores inactive), so it makes sense the voltage is lower - not sure why it would be jumping around though, unless there is a light load hitting the CPU every now and then.

C3/C6 are deeper sleep states, so it makes sense the voltage is lower - not sure why it would be jumping around though, unless there is a light load hitting the CPU every now and then.

I thought those sleep states are only for hibernation mode or sleep mode?

Well, at boot, I've got a bunch of Asus software and other stuff running in the background (something like 71 processes). Maybe that's why the voltage swings around with C3/C6 on. With C3/C6 off, idle vcore is higher but totally stable.

With C1E and EIST only it's either low or high power (2 states), but with C3/C6 it can use several different power saving methods (states) so you will naturally see it jumping around more, especially on idle. It's doing it's job like its supposed too...

PS: In sleep mode that itself IS the power state.

Ivy is 77w. Temps are due to a combination of less surface area/increased density and a non-soldered IHS.

I had system at 4.5ghz clock @ 1.18V in bios

For my o/c I've used pretty much Druneau's MSI z77-gd65 settings, except Vdrop was set to Auto, vcore temp to desire temp and PLL to 1.65V.

You guys talk about o/c with offsets... do you know if this option is avaiable on MSI mobos?
Also should I lower PLL voltage to 1.5V?
Also is it better to have faster RAM or tighter RAM settings... i.e. 1600 8-8-8-22 vs 2133 10-10-10-28?

1.18 in bios will equate to about a.1.6v under load. Set it to 1.2v if you are unstable. All ram clocks differently so set your sticks to the speed and voltage that is stable.

MSI does't have offset/LLC voltage. I don't think it helps any since my i5-3570k seems to clock better than most other mother boards that have LLC settings. LLC doesn't seem to do much and from what everyone is posting it looks like LLC causes instability above 4.4GHZ. i5-3570k should be able to clock 4.5GHZ with 1.2v-1.36v no problem, Keep Pll low as possible.

I would go 1.2v CPU, 1.65v for PLL, and disable your vdroop. Also make sure your PLL is enabled.

Run rated speed settings of ram to begin with then work on the ram over clock once you have your CPU over stable.

Hi,

thanks so much for the info ;)

I don't think I can disable vdroop, the lowest I can set is 12.5%. PLL enabled you mean "Internal PLL Overvoltage" should be enabled?

How about "Over-speed protection"? I have it enabled, the manual says to disabled if I overclock? Do you know what this option is for and if it should be on or off?

Thanks again... :D

1.18 in bios will equate to about a.1.6v under load. Set it to 1.2v if you are unstable. All ram clocks differently so set your sticks to the speed and voltage that is stable.

MSI does't have offset/LLC voltage. I don't think it helps any since my i5-3570k seems to clock better than most other mother boards that have LLC settings. LLC doesn't seem to do much and from what everyone is posting it looks like LLC causes instability above 4.4GHZ. i5-3570k should be able to clock 4.5GHZ with 1.2v-1.36v no problem, Keep Pll low as possible.

I would go 1.2v CPU, 1.65v for PLL, and disable your vdroop. Also make sure your PLL is enabled.

Run rated speed settings of ram to begin with then work on the ram over clock once you have your CPU over stable.

My 3570k has a strange behavior... no matter what i do, weither i try to acheive it with straight voltage then add in LLC or with offsets, it refuses to be stable at 4.5ghz under 1.3vcore. I tried a lot of different pll between 1.5 and 1.9. Can't get into the bios with anything lower than 1.6.

Temps seems along the line that i see with others. Core 2 is a bit hotter than the rest, but nothing outrageous.

Board is a gigabyte z77x-d3h

What's funny is that 4.2ghz was rock stable with everything on auto and 4.4ghz just required a little voltage boost.

Biggest stability test atm seems to be bf3.

Hi,

thanks so much for the info ;)

I don't think I can disable vdroop, the lowest I can set is 12.5%. PLL enabled you mean "Internal PLL Overvoltage" should be enabled?

How about "Over-speed protection"? I have it enabled, the manual says to disabled if I overclock? Do you know what this option is for and if it should be on or off?

Thanks again... :D

Lets us know how your overclock turned out with these settings!

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for all your help... I finally got what it seems to be stable clock...
4.5Ghz at 1.21V in BIOS, Msi control center reports 1.20V and CPU-z 1.20V and lower...

I've used following settings (might be not in order).
Vcore - 1.21V
Internal PLL Overvoltage - Enabled
EIST - Enabled
Intel Turbo Boost -Enabled
Digital Compensation Level - High
Vdroop - Auto
CPU PLL Voltage - 1.65V
C1E Support - Disabled
Overspeed Protection - Enabled
Intel C-State - Enabled
Package C State limit - Auto
Long Duration Power Limit - 200
Short Duration Power Limit - 255
EuP 2013 - Disabled
CPU Phase Control - Disabled

I might look into o/c RAM later on... :D ;)

I disable the over speed protection.

I will do that. (thx) Did that setting ever prevent you from pushing CPU?

From the manual:

OverSpeed Protection
Monitors current CPU draw as well as power consumption; if it exceeds a certain level, the processor automatically reduces its clock speed. For overclocking, it is recommended this feature is disabled.

I guess it should help system stability.

what heatsink are you using?

Silver Arrow SB-E with 150mm & 140mm slapped on it + MX-4 paste...

My 3570k has a strange behavior... no matter what i do, weither i try to acheive it with straight voltage then add in LLC or with offsets, it refuses to be stable at 4.5ghz under 1.3vcore. I tried a lot of different pll between 1.5 and 1.9. Can't get into the bios with anything lower than 1.6.

Temps seems along the line that i see with others. Core 2 is a bit hotter than the rest, but nothing outrageous.

Board is a gigabyte z77x-d3h

What's funny is that 4.2ghz was rock stable with everything on auto and 4.4ghz just required a little voltage boost.

Biggest stability test atm seems to be bf3.

That's...unfortunate. Welcome to the club I suppose. :(

That's...unfortunate. Welcome to the club I suppose. :(

I will run it for a week and see what happens.
If its rock stable i will maybe try to go a bit further....
The few tests i did @ 102 bclk tends to indicate i might not need that much more voltage...

I just found that with C3/C6 on "auto" rather than enabled, my vcore goes even lower, often into the sub 1.000v area, sometimes as low as 0.8v.

Also, with C3/C6 enabled, my SSD scores suffer, mostly in the 4k random read areas. WIth C3/C6 disabled, my SSD scores are constantly high. WIth C3/C6 on auto, my SSD scores maybe a hair worst than C3/C6 disabled in the 4k read speed.

So, to conclude, at least on this board, enabling C3/C6 rather than leaving them on auto or disabled them gives you worse SSD performance.

And another thing. I'm having a lot of trouble being stable in P95.

In manual mode I can run my settings all day and be perfectly stable.

But in offset mode, even though the load voltage in Prime (1.268-1.272v) is about the same as manual, P95 will eventually give me an "Appcrash".

The appcrash usually happens usually over 6-7 hours into testing.

Ram doesn't seem to be the issue. I've tested them for 24 hours ("1000% coverage) in HCI memtest, occupying all system memory without any errors.

Not sure why this is happening. Will try a slightly 0.005v vcore boost.

EDIT: I don't want to give the impression that manual mode means it's stable. I passed a regular 24hour blend test and 30 minutes of fft 1344 and fft 1792 under manual mode. But I didn't bother test 1344 and 1792 for an extended period.

Now that I'm in offset mode, maybe I'm finding the final 5% of instability that was not known to me before due to not hitting the system as hard.

Seems like blend doesn't nearly hit the system as hard as fft length of 1344-1344 and also 1792-1792 using 90% RAM.

Running those for a few hours beyond the 30 minutes recommended by others seems very difficult to do (i.e. you'll need more vcore than before).

Last edited:
Anyone know what pll overvoltage could refer to in gigabyte bios?

also christ, what is the speed difference for your ssd between c3/c3 enabled and auto?

also christ, what is the speed difference for your ssd between c3/c3 enabled and auto?

PLL Overvoltage is for the cpu and it's been mainly used for taking Sandy's 4.8 - 5.0+.

And another thing. I'm having a lot of trouble being stable in P95.

There were some versions of P95 that had stability problems (program issue) so make sure you upgrade to the newest version. Not sure if they fixed it even then though.

I will do that. (thx) Did that setting ever prevent you from pushing CPU?

From the manual:

OverSpeed Protection
Monitors current CPU draw as well as power consumption; if it exceeds a certain level, the processor automatically reduces its clock speed. For overclocking, it is recommended this feature is disabled.

I guess it should help system stability.

I always disabled it because it is recommended to disable when over clocking. :)

Seems to work. I am running a very nice stable over clock 24/7 at 4.8GHZ.

When c3/c6 are enabled, I get slightly higher access time and latency.

What suffers most is the random 4k read.

In AS SSD, my 510 SSD would have a score of 13 in 4k read.

When c3/c6 are set to auto, my access time and latency improves. And the 4k score would rise up to about 17.

There were some versions of P95 that had stability problems (program issue) so make sure you upgrade to the newest version. Not sure if they fixed it even then though.

Yeah I'm on the latest version. Guess I'll have to try the tiniest vcore bump first. Hopefully it will prevent any weird appcrashes hours into a run.

That's incorrect.

Someday i will finally understand all of this.... till then I'm gonna stick to OCing like a noob!

update: This chip really amazes me. It rocked 4.2ghz @ 1.15 while stock voltage is 1.165.
With LLC @ turbo it needed 1.18 @ 4.3ghz and...... 1.235 for 4.4ghz.

Back