Post your PC audio setup

supapuffy

Weaksauce
hi everyone

there's been a lot of threads asking about which soundcard/speakers/headphones recently.. perhaps we can keep a single post listing different setups so others can use it as a reference.. this is my first time doing something like this so i'm not sure if i'll be able to maintain it properly.. but here it goes...

setup

source/usage: sd television, games (tf2, pro evolution soccer series, mirror's edge), occasionally music (itunes + apple loseless)
interface: onboard soundmax AD1988B -- spdif (optical) -- zero dac with upgraded opamp OPA627
speakers: zero dac line out -- monster stereo cables -- swan m10 (usage: tv, other games, music)
headphones: zero dac headphone out -- audio technica ad700 (usage: tf2)

cost

zero dac: $178 USD from ebay
swan m10: $82 USD + shipping from theaudioinsider.com
ad700: $126 USD from ebay

remarks

upgraded to zero dac + ad700 from using onboard + front panel + koss sb40 because of the noise/interference i was getting.. decided on the zero dac over a sound card because of its flexibility with other devices

feel free to make suggestions to the format/info that should be posted.. but let's keep discussion to a minimum here so it'll be easier to use as a reference

setup

Mac Mini on-board: use for videos, music playback.
SB Audigy: used for gaming, writing MIDI music/playing MIDI, and music playback.
M-AUDIO AV40 speakers - use for gaming and music playback.
Alessandro MS-1: use for music playback and music writing.
M-AUDIO Keystation 61es: for MIDI of course, although I suck at keyboarding.

cost

SB Audigy: about $40 years ago.
M-AUDIO AV40: $130 off Amazon
Alessandro MS-1: $100 direct from Alessandro.
Keystation: not sure, around $150 from some place in NYC.

remarks

Bought the Audigy to get soundfont support to feed my MIDI addiction. Bought the Keystation for the same reason.

Bought the MS-1 headphones to get a taste of what quality audio was like. I haven't been disappointed :)

Bought the AV40s recently because the stereo I had my computers plugged into was crap (the hissing was driving me nuts). I've been waiting for it to die, but it hasn't done me the favor (yeah, damn me for buying a reliable CRAP stereo ten years ago), so I finally pulled the trigger when I spotted these for $130.

I'm very satisfied with this setup, and don't see a need for external DACs.

Setup

FLAC and 320Kbps CBR MP3's > Either an M-Audio 2496, an Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 or a Devilsound DAC > Kimber Kable RCA interconnects > Swan M200MKII's

Price

M-Audio 2496 - ~$100
Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 ~$70-100
Devilsound DAC - $280
Kimber Kable Timbre Interconnects - $120
Swan M200MKII's - $180 (worth much more IMO)

Yes, I have small obsession with low-cost DAC/soundcard solutions. Onkyo SE-200PCI on the way!

Isn't there already a thread for this?

x-fi xtreme music ($80 cdn) -> krk rp5 monitors ($175 CDN ea) and 10S sub ($300 USD)

My PC audio system has evolved immensely over the years, largely due to my joining [H].

First system
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX: $100

Today's system
Auzentech Prelude: $150
Denon AVR-988: $540
AV123 x-series Encores (x-ls - x-cs - x-ls): $650
BIC Acoustech H-100 sub: $250
Denon AH-D2000 headphones: $225

My wallet hates [H]!!!! :p

My PC audio system has evolved immensely over the years, largely due to my joining [H].

My wallet hates [H]!!!! :p

This could not be more true! I started with a 4.1 Altec Lansing system in 1998. Upgraded to Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 in 2003. See post above for the ridiculous jump I have recently made.

I will say, I have spent way too much money on hobbies over the years. Some I regret and some I do not. Computer speaker systems are one thing I have never ever regretted. I'm a music geek, and hearing high quality audio simply makes me smile in a way that few things do.

Shuttle SD39P2 Onboard Realtek S/PDIF --> JBL LSR4328p (L) --> JBL LSR43286p (R) --> JBL LSR4312sp.

desk0320.jpg

Sound Card : Audigy 2 ZS $ Free
Speakers : Alesis M1 Active MK2 powered Studio Monitors $400
XLR to RCA cables 15' x2 $40 (for connecting the Alesis to my sound card)
Headset : Sennheiser PC135 USB (uses an inline USB soundcard for audio and is excellent) $70

I listen to music, watch TV and Movies, and game on this machine.

this room needs cleaning and painting badly. No one smokes in the house anymore.
desk-2009.jpg

Setup:

Source: FLAC, 24/44.1 to 24/192, via Foobar2000 in ASIO mode.
Speakers: B&W CDM1, coupled with a Velodyne FSX-12 sub-woofer.
Amplification: Pioneer VSX-571, Head Room Supreme (headphones).
Interface: Native Mac Pro S/PDIF (optical) output via VSX-571 internal 24/96 DAC.
Cables: Synergistic Research – Silver Signature
Headphones: Sennheiser HD-650, Etymotic Research ER-4S

Alternate headphone amplifier and DAC configurations using self-designed (and soon to be offered for sale) solutions.

Cost:

B&W CDM1: $1199 (1997)
Velodyne FDX-12: $1199 (1997)
Pioneer VSX-571: $199 (2008)
Headroom Supreme: $499 (1995)
Cables: $50/stereo metre.
Sennheiser HD-650: $399 (2007)
Etyomitic Research ER-4S: $379 (1997)

Comments:

First PC audio system of note (I just used a secondary hi-fi system in my office/lab initially) was on-board sound from an Asus i975 motherboard (I forget the exact model) feeding a Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 system. Not great for music, but certainly very good value for what it offered. That setup was purchased to coincide with the release of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

After three BASH amplifier repairs (Klipsch support were EXTREMELY accommodating and very responsive), I decided to re-commission some old parts from a previous dedicated listening system.

The current setup is a result of me growing tired of replacing amplifiers for the Klipsch system and having ~$4,000 of audio hardware sitting around unused.

This works for my “back ground” listening, when I am working/coding. For serious listening I have a dedicated room and system.

While I do “watch” the odd Netflix streaming movie/show while I am working, this setup primarily provides background music while I work and play a little WoW.

Pictures on request ;)

this room needs cleaning and painting badly. No one smokes in the house anymore.

Not to mention how smoke trashes computer components. I've seen some sick shit inside of machines I've fixed. The one the other day smelled like a freaking ashtray...it was disgusting. There were droplets of yellow tar on the inside of the machine. I built that up brand new about 4 months ago too.

320 MP3/videos/games -> Fubar II USB DAC -> Little Dot MKV Headphone Amp -> AKG K702

Fubar II = $130
Little Dot = $270
K702 = $280

Probably got the prices mixed up a bit but it's close enough. Going to look into getting a receiver and speakers in a few months to give myself more audio options.

I just upgraded the sound in my PC (along with everything else).
I use my PC for everything as I kind of have a home office, so it gets used for IT work, gaming, movies/TV, as for music I listen to mostly flac, only transcode to VBR MP3 Joint Stereo for my N95 (w 8GB memory card)
Music ranges from DVDA to FLAC @ 24/96 5.1ch and FLAC @ 44.1/16 2ch

Sound system:
Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe (vanilla) ($220 NZD) +
Bundled fake X-Fi (Soundmax) PCIe soundcard (Bundled with Asus Maximus II Formula $550 NZD) for earphones
Abit SP50 5.1 speakers ($200 NZD years ago)
Creative EP-630 canal type earphones recommended by headphonereviews.org ($40 NZD) - These are absolutely unbeatable for the money, I ended up getting a second pair for my wife, she never uses them though.

I really want to upgrade my speakers to Logitech Z5500s

onboard audio on asus p5q-pro -> digital out -> audioquest digital cable ->
zero dac, mods include hdam earth module in dac section instead op-amp and LT1364 op-amp in amp section plus frankenmod in output stage. -> oehlbach cinch cable
Teufel Motiv 2 speakers or JVC/Victor HA-RX 700 headphones.

I really wanna hear a Zero with the HDAM module. I have enough DAC's floating around though.. O well, whats one more. :rolleyes:

setup

source/usage: Computer Games, Movies / TV Shows from DVD
music (MP3 and some flac) and Xbox360
interface: Auzentech Prelude XFI
speakers: Currently 2 Paradigm Micros connected via Pioneer receiver(analog)
2 Paradigm Titan front / Paradigm CC50 center / Pioneer surrounds connected via Denon AVR789 using Digital COAX
headphones: Audio Technica ATH-ADA500

cost

Auzentech XFI : $150 CAD
Speakers : $200 for the set used
Reivers: Denon : $430 CAD used , Pioneer: Free!
Headphones : $100 CAD

remarks
the HT setup sounds amazing, clear loud and with the auddessey calibration, you really feel like you're in the movie / show when the surround is done well. rock band 2 also rocks :p

PS! Thanks to spaceman for helping me picking the right components

I really wanna hear a Zero with the HDAM module. I have enough DAC's floating around though.. O well, whats one more. :rolleyes:

well you will be surprised, i like the sound of my modded zero a lot.
it compares well with my stock constantine dac.shure my modded paradisea and cambridge audio 640C cd-player sound better but at a much higher cost.

edit: "enough dac's floating around" interested in selling one? send me a pm if so.

Not to mention how smoke trashes computer components. I've seen some sick shit inside of machines I've fixed. The one the other day smelled like a freaking ashtray...it was disgusting. There were droplets of yellow tar on the inside of the machine. I built that up brand new about 4 months ago too.
The insides of that guy's throat and lungs are coated with that yellow tar, too. Nasty!

Well...ok...here is my setup.

Sound card: HT Omega Striker
Speakers: Yamaha YST M7 2.0
Cables: Who knows
Sub: None (cry)
Receiver: None
Headphone: Whatever earphones are kicking around LOL (we seem to have a zillion of em)

Pretty pathetic really. Arrrgh! I really need to upgrade my setup. Want to get a pair of M200MkII's but thats in the future. :(

Why make a new thread when there is a current one is what for speaker setups? Most people post their pc audio setup anyways.

- Onboard SPDIF from P5Q-E
- Pioneer 92TXH
- 3x Outlaw 2200 amps
- Klipsch RF-62 L/R
- Klipsch RC-62
- Klipsch RS-52
- Klipsch RB-51
- Klipsch RW-12d x2

:)

source/usage: Music (320kb MP3 and some FLAC)/Games/Occasional movie
interface: Firestone audio FubarIII with Supplier 24v power.
speakers: Mirage Nanosat 5.1 / Klipsch RW12D sub/Denon AVR1602 Receiver
Headphones: BeyerDynamic DT-770Pro 250ohm.

cost

Dac/Supplier $250
Speakers : $249 from Vanns.com/Sub was on sale from a friend for $350
Receiver: $Free
Headphones : $110 from FS/FT thread.

Sound Card : Audigy 2 ZS $ Free
Speakers : Alesis M1 Active MK2 powered Studio Monitors $400
XLR to RCA cables 15' x2 $40 (for connecting the Alesis to my sound card)
Headset : Sennheiser PC135 USB (uses an inline USB soundcard for audio and is excellent) $70

desk-2009.jpg

TABLE WHERE GET YOU??

Sound card: Realtek onboard sound
Nikko Beta 30 pre-amp w/ Nikko Alpha 130 4-channel amp (belongs to gf)
1 pair Bose 301s, 1 pair 501s (also gf's)
Reel RSS-8 sub

Planning on getting a soundcard in the not-too-distant future, probably an M-Audio 2496.

Ahhhh.. I figured it was too good looking to be an off the shelf product. Looks sweet.

auzen x-plosion 7.1 cinema. connected optically AND digitally to .....
samsung 600w 5.1 dolby digital live / dts connect receiver with

5 speakers plus subwoofer connected

all this lives in my comp room which is 15ft x 12ft square

Back