Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Polk R150's today... Damn! :eek: These things are better. They completely mash up the Pioneers I had. I am hearing things in music that I never knew existed... they are truly that much better. Thanks again guys for pushing me towards these. The only problem is, now I think I'm addicted... and I wonder what all I'm missing with the Polks ;) I wonder how much I could sell my car for :p I am actually beginning to hear how much MP3's suck. I can only imagine what some you of guy's music sounds like... you know who I'm talking about. Anyway, maybe I'll get there someday... until when is then, I'm going to enjoy the journey.

I'm gonna get everything setup and post some more pics... but tonight I have to build my wife a new computer so I'll be busy with that. It's a surprise for her, she's gonna love it... I'm gonna paint it purple for her, but that's another thread...

Later guys.
I told you!!!!
Too bad all the other upgrades would be +100$ QQ

Hey robbiekhan those are some truly gorgeous speakers you got there... very classy.

Thanks! I got them quite cheap some months ago, paid £100 for them and the sound is quite sublime. Will upgrade them down the line when I get my own place as I'll need them for the living room and new ones for my PC - Cannot wait!

wow... close call. had a bunch of friends over for dinner and a 151&coke found its way into the onkyo receiver on my gaming rig. good thing it already died or i would be a tad upset about my wet paper weight.

I'm surprised my NAD is still working fine, the night of my tea spillage the amp would go into standby after a few seconds of music playback but of course the headphone out worked perfectly fine, I freaked out for a bit, perhaps I would end up with a £175 paperweight :p

Works perfectly fine now, some usage in headphone out mode seems to have dried out the tea remains off the powerboard and all is well once again!

Hey montypythizzle... how come I knew you were gonna say I told you so :p I'm already looking at some more upgrades...lol... I'm hooked for life I'm afraid :eek: yes, I'm really afraid. I'm already thinking of dropping some more of my dough on a good system for my living room... and the scary thing is, I think I got my wife sort of hooked on good audio in the process... I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad one :confused:
Oh yeah, and what's the better digital audio connection, or is there one, between optical and coax? I've read that the differences are negligible. I know about the optical not being as prone to cable noise over longer runs... blah, blah, blah... but I know a good coax cable will stop that as well. What are you guys using for the most part... optical or coax?

Hey montypythizzle... how come I knew you were gonna say I told you so :p I'm already looking at some more upgrades...lol... I'm hooked for life I'm afraid :eek: yes, I'm really afraid. I'm already thinking of dropping some more of my dough on a good system for my living room... and the scary thing is, I think I got my wife sort of hooked on good audio in the process... I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad one :confused:
Oh yeah, and what's the better digital audio connection, or is there one, between optical and coax? I've read that the differences are negligible. I know about the optical not being as prone to cable noise over longer runs... blah, blah, blah... but I know a good coax cable will stop that as well. What are you guys using for the most part... optical or coax?

Pretty much the same, optical for short runs usually, and coax for longer tighter runs. Optical cannot bend around corners. (it can break)

The datarate for digital audio is very low (about 10,000 times lower than USB). And it's DIGITAL. Oh, the extremists will talk about "jitter" and slewrate and whatever the faddish term of the week is, but it all boils down to a signal that's clean enough. With digital, the signal either gets through or it doesn't. Attenuation isn't an issue unless the signal is already very weak, in which case there are bigger problems already. Cross-talk and interference aren't players either, unless you're wrapping your cable around a radio transmitter. It's not as sensitive as analog where milivolts will be audible after amplification. Honestly, you could use a string of paperclips to transmit the signal with no degredation over short distances. Any RCA cable will be just fine for normal home use.
For paranoia's sake, I use coax (to prevent the digital from bleeding into the analog!), and because it's cheaper than optical.

Alright thanks guys... I think I'll use a string of paper clips, sounds neat... lol... and yes BrinNutz, I just read your PM. Go to this link...
http://shop2.outpost.com/{wOVN2UVjO...nEXX+tP8A**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
The $49.99 is for the pair, but $49.99 each would still be a good deal.
montypythizzle pointed me in that direction... and I jumped on that deal quick. Now go order you a pair, you won't regret it... just ask monty.

Alright thanks guys... I think I'll use a string of paper clips, sounds neat... lol... and yes BrinNutz, I just read your PM. Go to this link...
http://shop2.outpost.com/{wOVN2UVjO...nEXX+tP8A**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
The $49.99 is for the pair, but $49.99 each would still be a good deal.
montypythizzle pointed me in that direction... and I jumped on that deal quick. Now go order you a pair, you won't regret it... just ask monty.

[repeat]I mean really, GET these!!!!, REALLY!!![/repeat]

I didn't know you wanted a link Brin.

They can pump out the bass too?!?!??

For a speaker that's over a year old, must be clearing out stock though for some new stuff eh? Last year I remember them going for $39.99 =)

They can pump out the bass too?!?!??

For a speaker that's over a year old, must be clearing out stock though for some new stuff eh? Last year I remember them going for $39.99 =)

It isn't a replacement for a subwoofer (I use it like that anyway ^_^), but will produce some lows (WAY more than the Pioneers) and produce voices well.

Now, I know I don't have the best speakers, but how about these compared to my z5500's??

And, think I can hook these up to where my 5500 satellites were??

Now, I know I don't have the best speakers, but how about these compared to my z5500's??

And, think I can hook these up to where my 500 satellites were??

You could.. I have no idea how much wattage the satellites receive but these pretty easy to push, and when you get a receiver you can utilize these to the best of their abilities.

i dont know the impedance of the z 5500 sattelites...checked google for ya, still nothing

you can always try to push them using your current amp built into your sub, but the most i think you would get outta upgrading to the polks is maybe more highs...but hey at 40$ try for yourself :D

And, think I can hook these up to where my 5500 satellites were??

It won't really make much difference due to the way the crossover frequencies are handled. However, as already mentioned, the highs should sound better.

Hey Brin, I had the Logitech Z-2300 THX certified setup for a while and I'm not sure if those are directly comparable to the Z-5500's or not... being only that the Z-2300's are 2.1, but nonetheless, in my opinion these Polks definitely outperform the Z-2300's... there's more range in sound that I can hear, and there's definitely more bass in these Polks than the Z-2300 satellites pump out. You put a sub with these and I think you got a winner for a PC setup. I've seen several instances where people put their own speakers on the Z-5500 setup, and they seem to be doing fine running a set of 8 ohm speakers. I don't know a lot about audio yet, I'm still learning and with a big help from members of this forum... but these Polks have definitely made an audiophile out of me... and they set the bar for me..

TooBoo, found these specs for power and such for 5500's.

Says impedance is 8000ohms, which I don't know about. LMK, I'm curious!!! I read the Polks are :

Details:

• video-shielded
  • bass-reflex
  • handles up to 100 watts
  • frequency response 65-20,000 Hz (-3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • sensitivity 89 dB
  • 3/4" Dynamic Balance® tweeter with neodymium magnet
  • 5-1/4" Dynamic Balance woofer with butyl rubber surround
  • 5-way binding posts
  • 7"W x 10-5/8"H x 6-15/16"D
  • warranty: 5 years

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX® Certified Speaker System[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Specifications[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Total RMS power:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 505 watts RMS[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Satellites:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3-inch polished aluminum phase plug drivers
317 watts RMS (2 x 62 W front, 2 x 62 rear, 69 W center)
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Subwoofer:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]10-inch high-excursion ported driver
188 watts RMS
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Total Peak Power:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]400 watts[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Frequency Response:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]33Hz - 20kHz[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Amplifier[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Signal to Noise Ratio[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]>93.5 dB, typical 100[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Input Impedance[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]8,000 ohms [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=+1]Features[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]THX® Certification[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]10” high-excursion ported sub driver with a 6th order bass reflex enclosure.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1].1 configuration[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]505 watts RMS [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Wireless Remote[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Hardware decoding for Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and DTS®, 96/24 soundtracks[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]PCM (uncompressed stereo): 44.1 kHz / 16 bit through 96 kHz / 24 bit[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Digital optical and coaxial inputs for DVD players, CD players or PC sound cards.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6 Channel Direct Inputs[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2, 4, or 6 channel PC sound cards[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yeah 8000 ohms doesn't sound right... that would be 8 kOhms... I have a feeling they mean 8 ohms, but I am far from an expert on these things. Most speakers I've come across are rated at 8, 6, 4, and 2 ohms... this is true for most of the amps/receivers I've used as well.

That would also mean that you would want you output load to be around 8,000 ohms.... those would be some mighty hefty speakers....

me thinks tom foolery is afoot.

Then I did some research and saw this.

So apparently they claim there really is 8Kohm input impedance.

If it's any help, I've connected some 6ohm and 8ohm speakers into the Z-5500 amplifier and neither have blown anything up!

wow... close call. had a bunch of friends over for dinner and a 151&coke found its way into the onkyo receiver on my gaming rig. good thing it already died or i would be a tad upset about my wet paper weight.

Yeah, the 151 could have started a house fire too :)

What if I used these right these?!?!? Are these better then the Polk RS150?

Boston Acoustics CR65 Bookshelf Speakers
$69.99 + $5 shippin

they are at woot.com right now...
\

Specifications:
  • Frequency Response: (±3dB) 65–20,000Hz
  • Recommended Amplifier Power: 15–100 watts
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Sensitivity: [1 watt at 1m] 88dB
  • Bass Unit: 5 1⁄4” (135mm) copolymer
  • Tweeter: 3⁄4” (20mm) dome
  • Crossover Frequency: 4200Hz
  • Dimensions: (HxWxD) 10.12” x 6.37” x 7.87”
  • Weight: 9 lbs (4kg)

That would also mean that you would want you output load to be around 8,000 ohms.... those would be some mighty hefty speakers....

me thinks tom foolery is afoot.

Then I did some research and saw this.

So apparently they claim there really is 8Kohm input impedance.

The 8Kohm impediance would be for the reciever/amplifier part, not the individual speakers.

Where is all this resistance coming from?!?!??

WE MUST COUNTER TEH RESISTANCE!!!!!!!!!!

LAWLZ

Teh only way to measure it would be to measure resistance @ the speaker..Meaning I just can't hook up an ohmmeter to the speaker cables, they would need to be hooked to the speaker to measure the resistance of the speaker itself, correct?

LAWLZ

Teh only way to measure it would be to measure resistance @ the speaker..Meaning I just can't hook up an ohmmeter to the speaker cables, they would need to be hooked to the speaker to measure the resistance of the speaker itself, correct?

One on the positive of the speaker and one to the negative, I think, well that is how you would test anything else.

New surrounds (right) next to old mains (left). I did a very brief listening comparison and I'm definitely digging the sound on the new Infinitys. To me they sound more detailed and crisper/cleaner but without any brightness or harshness that you sometimes get.

SNC11525.JPG

Nicolaskl, on the B&W's... is the yellow material kevlar? Because it looks like kevlar with a rifle bullet sticking in it...:eek: That's one rugged looking speaker nonetheless. Not really sure why I am making this comment... just trying to stay active in the forums I guess...lol. I know, I'm pathetic :(

Well... later guys.

P.S. I promise next time I post I'll have something useful to say :D

Those BWs have yellow kevlar (real kevlar), but the bullet phase plug is not real if I recall correctly. It is glued onto the driver rather than being stationary and the woofer moving around it when driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back