Post Your Workstation 2009!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what program do you use to put your system monitoring software on the desktop like that, including the date and the weather, etc
Assuming you're asking me, Im using a few Win7 Desktop Gadgets for cpu/memory monitoring, Google Calendar and Wolfram Alpha search. For the more advanced system monitoring displayed above that and for the weather, date and time applets Im using Rainlender.

some more pics: one blurry;)
Vista Home Pre SP 2 (x2)Acer/HTPC
System Software 7-Mac LC II (slightly hidden)
Windows 2000-Compaq Presario (hidden)
Mac G3 Blue and White rebuilding Tiger normally
Win 3.1 and MS-DOS/Win95 early machoines(under boxes)
Toshiba Windows XP Home in bag
at least 3 or 4 CRT monitors in storage
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/innocencesarion/genCompu/IMG_0351.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/innocencesarion/genCompu/IMG_0352.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/innocencesarion/genCompu/IMG_0353.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/innocencesarion/genCompu/IMG_0354.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/innocencesarion/genCompu/IMG_0355.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

what a cluster ****:eek:

hey stop!theradio what kinda wireless mouse is that ?? is it any good gaming ?? cause i've been searching for a wireless mouse for my laptop and i cant find anything economical and decent ..

It's a Logitech LX7 and It was only about $29.99. It works perfectly, has great battery life and looks nice and simple. I don't game very often, but I do get in some Far Cry 2, Crysis: Warhead and Bioshock - and I have no complaints.

what program do you use to put your system monitoring software on the desktop like that, including the date and the weather, etc

Were you asking me? If so, I'm just using the sidebar. I downloaded a clock/calendar from the Windows website that I use, and I also use the sticky note gadget. I pulled them out of the sidebar and closed the sidebar itself so I could put my Digsby contact window beneath them.

-snip-
7221e5c8ec6b08ef6d3f9ff3ce6eb1d1.gif
]
Wow very nice. I wish I had natural lighting like that.

I don't like glare, either :( Its a computer geek's worst nightmare, haha! :p

I'm thinking of getting myself a new desk, some wire management things, and calling it "Minimalist Geek" - sounds catchy :D

Looks like a 30" Dell and a 27" and DT880 headphones...

If you looekd approximately 1 inch under the picture to see his signature -_-

If you looekd approximately 1 inch under the picture to see his signature -_-

I lol'ed... however, some people have sig's disabled since they can be quite annoying. ;)
Though the persons profile would be a good place to start to maybe see if they would have their equipment listed in a sig.

Ok my bad, completely missed the sig lmao. Its not my fault, its monday morning and Im tired :p

Hehe, yeah, a Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC and a Dell 27" 2707WFP-HC. It was hard to find a dual-arm that supported the big monitors, I may split it back to two separate arms... Headphones are beyerdynamic DT880 headphones...fantastic sound out of them.

Hehe, yeah, a Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC and a Dell 27" 2707WFP-HC. It was hard to find a dual-arm that supported the big monitors, I may split it back to two separate arms... Headphones are beyerdynamic DT880 headphones...fantastic sound out of them.

Which LCD Arm did you end up with? I've been thinking about getting an arm for my 2 2709w's.

Which LCD Arm did you end up with? I've been thinking about getting an arm for my 2 2709w's.

Innovative Office Products 9163-12-FM-104 was the only one I could find that was "reasonable" cost and could handle larger then 24" monitors:
http://www.lcdarms.com/products/LCD_Pole_System/9163-FM.html

Don't order it form LCDArms though, it can be found for around $225-250 elsewhere. :) Sometimes I think it may have been better to just get two Monoprice single arms for $20...

Lol love the lamp

Please explain how you did this. What materials did you use and what was the process? I have a Galant corner desk and will be getting the organizer thing, but attaching other peripherals to the bottom is a great idea.

http://lifehacker.com/237789/diy-under+desk-gadget-mount

I got the idea from the "declutter your desk" link in that blogpost, but the site seems down. I simplified his idea a little to cut down on the amount of work needed to do this.

My goal was to make everything modular. Things that would go on the pegboard are things that I normally don't move around or have to unplug, like a router and a modem. I plugged everything into the power strip so I only have one plug coming off the pegboard to power everything. I also only had 2 ethernet wires coming out of the back too.

All you need is a pegboard cut to size and a lot of zip ties. I cut a piece of pegboard with a jigsaw to fit inside the rectangular frame of the Galant desk. Afterwards, I used some of my zip ties to tie my non essential components to it. You can see that I have a dsl modem, router, switch, power strip, power bricks for everything, and ethernet cords. Last I attached the peg board to my desk by looping the zip ties around the metal frame of desk and the board. I ran the wire from the pegboard along with my other cables through the 2 signum cable racks from IKEA. I can take closer pictures of everything if anyone would like.

I'm just using a couple of cheap, 12'' under-cabinet florescent fixtures available at Wal-Mart for $7. I did replace the bulbs with GE warm white F8 'bulbs' as the light it not as jarring as the included ones.

Whats the bass reproduction like on these headphones? I have a pair of Sennheisers at the moment which provide excellent bass response, but Im always on the lookout for new high end headphones, Im a bit of an audiophile like that :p

Whats the bass reproduction like on these headphones? I have a pair of Sennheisers at the moment which provide excellent bass response, but Im always on the lookout for new high end headphones, Im a bit of an audiophile like that :p

I think it's excellent, though this is my first pair of higher-end headphones, so I don't have a large basis of comparison... It has thump with clarity across the board which is what I was after. :)

mycray.jpg

Yes, I know it's not plugged in. I moved it over to get in the frame. Other machines are a Xeon workstation and Lenovo tablet PC.

I know it's not plugged in. I moved it over to get in the frame. Other machines are a Xeon workstation and Lenovo tablet PC.[/QUOTE]

Haha, awesome, you do some scientific modeling or something at work? How many/what kind of nodes you have in it?

Haha, awesome, you do some scientific modeling or something at work? How many/what kind of nodes you have in it?

It has 8 blades, each with two 4-core chips - so 64 procs controlled by an onboard domain controller and a very high speed bus. You are right, it's used for modelling applications.

Edit: also I notice the picture makes it look small. It's a bit longer than it looks and too heavy for one person to move. It's on wheels but you gotta muscle it with two people.

Macaw: Can you consistently get 45+ FPS when playing Crysis maxed out on that Cray?

holy crap thats a crey cx1. its a $60k machine.

we have a few at ea games. its very fast for calculating stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back