Post your X800XL temps

LanPirate1

Limp Gawd
Just wondering if getting an ATI-5 from a/c is worth it. I have a BBA X800XL and I'm getting 43C idle, and 75C coming out of games. Running stock speeds. Temp readings from ATI Tool.

I heard that those AC thingys were junk compared to the Zalman VF700-CU.

I just ordered mine for $35 from ZipZoomFly .

I had to order something because my X800 XT AIW's load temps can easily peg 94C under load. :eek:

I have a Lian Li V1000B that has great case ventilation.

I'm hoping that Zalman cooler will do the trick for my "toasty" :D X800 XT AIW.

LanPirate1 said:
Just wondering if getting an ATI-5 from a/c is worth it. I have a BBA X800XL and I'm getting 43C idle, and 75C coming out of games. Running stock speeds. Temp readings from ATI Tool.

Exact same temps here and I have some pretty good case cooling going. I want to put some AS-5 down but I'm also considering the purchase of a new cooler. Curious to see how that Zalman works for the Ozz-man.

Booby McNipples said:
Curious to see how that Zalman works for the Ozz-man.

I'll let ya know tomorrow when my Zalman comes.

I've read several posts from people who said that the Arctic Coolers have been causing people problems w/ the fan headers on their ATi cards. something about the fan header not being able to provide enough power to the larger fan thats on the AC coolers. some people have even said that they've seen sparks coming from those connections.

thats why I chose the Zalman because they give you the adaptors to hook up to a standard molex connector instead.

I'd still like to hear from people with ATI-5. I wanna buy it so the heat exits the box but if theres probs then Im not so sure.
The zalman looks cool but I have no fans in my box.

For op. Mine does about 39c idle and up to 65 that Ive seen in game.
Just started trying to oc so I dont know temps on that yet.

ozziegn said:
I heard that those AC thingys were junk compared to the Zalman VF700-CU.

I just ordered mine for $35 from ZipZoomFly .

I had to order something because my X800 XT AIW's load temps can easily peg 94C under load. :eek:

I've had two AC Silencers, the VGA Silencer for my Radeon 9700, and the NV Silencer 5 when I had a 6800NU. Both were great, did what they were supposed to do, and did the one thing the Zalman doesn't do (but is important to me): Exhaust hot air out the back of the case, providing additional cooling.

I too would be interested to see how much they improve temps on the X800XL. It made a huge difference on my Geforce 6800.

my temps are 39c idle, ~70c-ish under load. too high IMO so I don't overclock the core at all (running the mem at 550Mhz or 1100ddr though).

If you're nervous about the fan on the ATI-5 causing a problem, then just run it to a normal molex from the PSU or fan controller and don't even risk your card. I heard it's not supposed to be THAT loud at full speed anyway.

Running at stock, it's 40c while idle and it maxed out at 68c while running games.

Don't plan on overclocking though, so I don't think these temps are a problem.

I just replaced the stock thermal paste with some AS5 and it dropped my my temps to 39c idle and 67c under load (after an hour of HL2). I was at 43c idle and 70c under load before. I also noticed how crappy the stock heatsink is; the surface is rough and pitted so I think I will go ahead and replace it with a Zalman or AC silencer anyway. If I could only decide on which one...... :)

i ordered the ac ati5v2 along with some artic silver, ill let you guys know the outcome, should be fri. ill get some temp readings before and after.

I know a post on this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...can anyone explain why the AIW AGP xl doesn't have temp readings? I've looked on the catalyst screen and ati tools but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

Booby McNipples said:
Did you get that Zalman on there Ozzie?

yup, I did get one and they're worth every bit of the $35 that I paid for it.

this is a pic of the cooler mounted on my X800 XT AIW card but I've since then switched over to the PCIe scene and I'm using an X850 XT card instead. my card usually idles in the 35C area and pegs out to something like 65C or so. the stock cooler would usually top out in the 85C to 90C area. :eek:

x800xt1.jpg

click here for my mini review on the Zalman VF-700 cooler.

i got my ac ati5rev2 in today and had quite a time installing it. actually the install was fine just had to fix a weird buzzing problem. i did some temp readings before and this is what i found:

stock:
idle temps:
case: 40
gpu: 42
after 30min of gaming
case: 43
gpu: max 70 but around 55

ac ati5rev2:
idle:
case: 35
gpu: 41
aftter 30min gaming
case: 36
gpu: max 56 but around 52

not very scientific at all but very nice temps nonetheless. i havent oc'd yet but im sure it will work great. and this thing is dead silent, i love it. anyways here are before and after pix:

stock ati x800xl:
4hsj8y

arctic cool ati 5 rev 2:
4hsjfb

Thanks for the info Blue, it helps. But I have one question though - why is there a 5 deg difference in your case temps at idle?

Booby McNipples said:
Thanks for the info Blue, it helps. But I have one question though - why is there a 5 deg difference in your case temps at idle?

Because the Silencer exhausts the warm air.

mohammedtaha said:
Because the Silencer exhausts the warm air.

I didn't think it would would be that noticable though. 5 degrees is pretty good. What kind of case cooling are you running there, Blue?

did you plug the fan header into the x800xl, or did you plug it into the PSU molex w/an adapter.

Booby McNipples said:
I didn't think it would would be that noticable though. 5
degrees is pretty good. What kind of case cooling are you running there, Blue?
the case im using is an antec sonata. i replaced the stock psu w/ a neopower 480 psu. i still have the stock 120mm fan exhausting air and ive got another 120mm fan blowing on my hds. so my case airflow isnt ideal but temps stayed low enough (40-45) to not bother me and now with the ac ati5rev2 its gotten even better, from 40c to 35c at idle and only goes up to 39 after gaming.

nst6563 said:
did you plug the fan header into the x800xl, or did you plug it into the PSU molex w/an adapter.
it goes where the stock fan was plugged into on the vid card

I knew it would plug into the card, but I've heard of some people actually "blowing" their ATI cards by plugging the S5 fan into the card's fan header. Coincidence maybe...but I can't imagine that AC using a fan with a higher current rating than what's spec'd to be on the card from stock.

nst6563 said:
I knew it would plug into the card, but I've heard of some people actually "blowing" their ATI cards by plugging the S5 fan into the card's fan header. Coincidence maybe...but I can't imagine that AC using a fan with a higher current rating than what's spec'd to be on the card from stock.
i havent heard of that... hopefully not though :/

Does anyone know which silencer to use for a AIW X800XL AGP?

BlueRacer said:
i got my ac ati5rev2 in today and had quite a time installing it. actually the install was fine just had to fix a weird buzzing problem. i did some temp readings before and this is what i found:

stock:
idle temps:
case: 40
gpu: 42
after 30min of gaming
case: 43
gpu: max 70 but around 55

ac ati5rev2:
idle:
case: 35
gpu: 41
aftter 30min gaming
case: 36
gpu: max 56 but around 52

not very scientific at all but very nice temps nonetheless. i havent oc'd yet but im sure it will work great. and this thing is dead silent, i love it. anyways here are before and after pix:

stock ati x800xl:
4hsj8y

arctic cool ati 5 rev 2:
4hsjfb

Just on those pics alone I think Im sold. That last one makes me feel all silly inside!

i did some ocing today. on stock cooling i only got up to 422/526 (5057 3dmark05) and was still stable. now with the ac ati5 rev2 i can get up to 435/550 (5231 3dmark05) and stay stable.

does the ATI 5 also cool the ram also...or does it come with seperate sinks??

Cools the RAM too. One note though. Many of the current ATI and NV Silencers come in two revisions. Revision 1 used copper pads bonded to the GPU cooling surface to make contact with the RAM for cooling. Because tolerances varied though, some people complained that these models did not make effective contact with the RAM on their graphics card. Arctic Cooling responded with a Revision 2 cooler, which removes the copper pads and replaces them with adhesive thermal transfer pads, more similar to how stock nVidia 68xx heatsink/fans work. Apparently some minor modifications were made to the fan design of the Revision 2 models as well, mainly for noise reduction.

Provided the copper pads on your Revision 1 Silencer made contact, it was probably a slightly better cooling solution than Revision 2. Either way though, RAM cooling isn't as big a deal as GPU cooling. In the case of ATI Silencers, most also have a back plate designed to dissipate heat from any RAM chips on the backside of the Radeon card as well.

xl2.jpg

xl3.jpg

xl4.jpg

Idle: 38c

Load: 56c

Temps VIA ATi tray tool and load temps after two scrims of CS:S. Never used the stock cooler so i wouldnt know what the change was...

I'd say that RAM cooling on the x800xl's is important. Especially if you're overclocking them and have a voltmod. The cooling can mean the difference between 560mhz and 570+ on your ram.

And the thermal pads are a waste IMO (if it's the same stuff they use on the ramsinks on ddr). might as well put socks on your chips. simple airflow would be better.

I bought the ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2, and I'm expecting it Friday (or Saturday if FedEx delivers Sat... which I can't remember at the moment), and I have a question...

It cools the card like crazy, so question is, how long can I expect the lifespan of my X800XL to be if I OC it as much as I can with the Silencer?

well you won't kill it over a few days .. you don't need it o/c unless you're playing games

only o/c to play games and because of the fact that it will be much cooler you just saved it a hella long time

For those that took off the stock cooling on their X800XL's...

Did it say X800XL on the GPU?

Because I couldn't help but realize that mine actually said X800 Pro (which, if I'm not mistaken, is a step down from the X800XL).

I put on my ATI Silencer anyway, and it's working beautifully.
It's maxing out at 38 idle, and maxed out at about 57 under load (as opposed to the 68 with stock), so it's great.

But what bothers me is the X800 Pro part... is it supposed to be like that?? :confused:

Mine said R430 on the core, which is an x800xl.

Check ATITool and see how many pipes it has active and the Chip ID. If it's 12 then you've got a pro. If it's 16 then I wouldn't worry too much.

didn't happen to take a photo of it did you?

It says I have 16 pipes, and that the core is an R430.
I can't help but wonder why mine said X800 Pro though... and yeah I took a pic of it, give me a few to upload it.
EDIT: Nvm, you can't make it out... :( Stupid free digital camera...

xlnek.jpg

xlac.jpg

Don't mind all the tools... I had quite a time on 2 screws... lol

Hey if I were to buy a silencer for my AIW xl, I would go with the 4 right? Due to the fact it's based off of the 420 core...

I apologize if it's a dumb question but I would want to know for sure before dropping 30 bucks on a fan ^_^

are ANY of these single slot solutions? i dont really have room for the vid card to take up 2 slots!!

wow, looks like i have a freak card, or freak case airflow
32idle (its actually 30atm) and it usually peaks at 62 under load

edit: degrees celcius that is

its reading the case temp as 29 and the gpu temp as 30

Just thought I'd chime in on my x800xl GPU temps with the Arctic Cooler 5 installed:

Idle: 35c
Max: 50c

This is with the fan running at 80% using ATI Tray Tool and very slightly overclocked to 410/500. AS5 on the GPU core, thermal pads on the memory. Max temp was measured after hours of playing WoW.

My thoughts on the memory: leave the thermal pads... you're not going to get much more out of that memory anyway, especially without an additional power connector. Personally I think these thermal pads are better quality than most I see on similar products.

In case you're wondering why I'm at 80%... I only have the fan set to run 100% when GPU temp hits 60c, which I doubt will ever happen.

Edit: running fan at 67% only raises idle/max temps 1c.

I'm getting 43 Idle, and 55 full load at 444Mhz/560Mhz coming out of games. This is with stock cooling.

Back