power supply blown? need a new one

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
Having some issues lately, first thought it was the motherboard, but now it doesn't start up at all. It ran a few times and just shut down after 10 min, no loud pops or anything. Now it doesn't even turn on so I'm assuming the PSU is dead (tried to short the green/black wires on mobo connector to start it too). I guess need a new one, but this is for a 3 year old rig, so I don't want to spend a lot.

A64 3200+ (754)
2x 512MB Ballistix
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
eVGA 6800 ultra (needs 2 molex)
Danger den water pump for CPU and GPU (the older D4 model)
74GB raptor (again, 3 yrs old)
12x DVD
4x 120mm fans

The dead PSU is a 550W Fortron. I could put the stock air cooling gear back on this thing to take out the load of the water pump. or maybe if i rearranged my case i could fit in 2 PSU's and use the 300w from my previous build just for that and the fans (I'd have to support a few more older ATA HD's then).

my other option is to just plan for my upcoming build and buy for that, that way if the PSU doesn't fix things, I don't have to return anything. Probably a quad core build with an 8800GT something, possibly re-using my WC setup.

I'd say go the "plan for a new build" route and grab a 700-850 watt unit. There's pretty much nothing (without like, 16 HDDs) something like that won't run.

PC Power and Cooling, higher end Thermaltake Toughpower, Enermax, Silverstone... all good options.

Or you can even grab an HX620 from corsair.

i was looking at the corsair 620, but was a little nervous of it handling the water pump, in addition to the system, since the fortron was allegedly 550w and at the time people seemed to think it was sufficient.

I've got the Corsair HX620, it runs everything in my sig + optical, some lights, 5 various usb devices, and 4 fans. No problems with it.

Up and running now with the corsair hx620w. the modular design is quite nice. It didnt indicate any preference on spreading out the load over the connectors on the front panel. I put the water pump and the fans on port 5, the raptor and 6800ultra on port 3, and the DVD and 6800u on port 1.

voltages seemed fine in the bios except for the 3.3V line was at 3.13. Is that a big deal?

--edit- what should i use to test the voltages? motherboard monitor, another program, or a DMM?

Back