Power supply concerns for a build I'm working on

Damar

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm going to be putting together a machine for a friend.

He had a power supply from his old machine he wanted to use, and said it should be adequate for the new build, but I'm kinda leery, and not a power expert, so though I would post here and get some opinions.

The power supply he wanted to use is a Thermaltake 550W. It's not the Toughpower line though. I don't have it in hand yet to examine it, but the 550W is correct.

The new machine that needs to be powered will be.....

Intel Core2Duo E6850 (Dual 3.0Ghz)
2 GB Crucial Memory
2 x 7800 GTX Video cards in SLI
4 Hard drives (various sizes and interfaces)
DVD-Burner
5 x 120mm Case fans with LED's

I guess its the two 7800 GTX's and the CPU that concern me the most, but maybe I'm wrong. Personally I usually go way over on the power supply when I build a box so it will last through several upgrades and not be running at full load all the time.

Opinions??

How old is the PSU?
It might squeak by, but the SLI is the killer.

If it's more than 2 years old, get a new one. The PSU is the most important component, you wouldn't want all those new parts to melt because of a crappy PSU.

Look at a Corsair HX620 or any other of the popular recomendations 'round here.

It's almost but not quite 2 years old I think.

Looks like I'll be giving him the bad news and hitting up NewEgg for a newer supply.

I'll check out that Corsair one, thanks a lot for the comments, it verifies what I was sorta scared of.

Can't ever have too much power in a PC. :D

EDIT - I checked out that supply on NewEgg, $149.99 after a $20 rebate, sounds good to me!!

Order placed!

Thanks again!!

Back