power supply noise

bigbeav

n00b
I'm working on a weird project, and I need the power supply to not have its case. Its going to mouunt next to the mobo, grounded also to the case, but it won't have the metal cage around it. Now would this cause sporatic problems with the computer?, or i have nothing to worry about, or are there some "well you could BUT" to this?

There has been a few mods where the power supply case was removed...They didn't notice anything wrong.

You shouldn't have any problems. Power supplies take 60Hz AC and turn it into DC. There's no significant high-frequency signals going anywhere that would mess things up.

Teancum said:
You shouldn't have any problems. Power supplies take 60Hz AC and turn it into DC. There's no significant high-frequency signals going anywhere that would mess things up.

Um, I beg to differ on that point. The PSU in every computer I've ever seen is of the "switching" type, and work at frequencies in the 10's to 100's of kHz--so there are indeed a hell of a lot of high frequency signals running around the PSU. Half the effort in designing such a device is to lay them out in such a manner that they don't jam every RF device within 20 feet.

As for the mod, it may well work, it might not. Be aware however, that there is a hell of a lot of very nasty voltage inside a PSU, and that they come in metal cases for a very good reason. Proceed at your own risk.

bigbeav said:
I'm working on a weird project, and I need the power supply to not have its case. Its going to mouunt next to the mobo, grounded also to the case, but it won't have the metal cage around it. Now would this cause sporatic problems with the computer?, or i have nothing to worry about, or are there some "well you could BUT" to this?

This is sort of one those, well it shouldn't be a problem, but it's also probably not a great idea.
You see PSUs with acrylic cases (which provide about the same insulation as nothing will) used everyday just fine.
But there are alot of high frequency voltage changes from the voltage converters,
there are alot of electro-magnetic fields from the various inductors and transformers.
Just alot of EMI in general.
The grounded metal case does insulate the rest of the computer from that (to an extent).

Aristarchus said:
Um, I beg to differ on that point. The PSU in every computer I've ever seen is of the "switching" type, and work at frequencies in the 10's to 100's of kHz--so there are indeed a hell of a lot of high frequency signals running around the PSU. Half the effort in designing such a device is to lay them out in such a manner that they don't jam every RF device within 20 feet.

As for the mod, it may well work, it might not. Be aware however, that there is a hell of a lot of very nasty voltage inside a PSU, and that they come in metal cases for a very good reason. Proceed at your own risk.

I've worked with high voltages before, except it was the breaker box for my house and eletric wiring also.

Also, i'm trying to get the transformer away from everything as possible, also the CPU will be as far away as possible from the transformer(like possiblly 17" away.) so once I found my drill bit i'll see if it boots up.

Chances are your motherboard is FCC part 15 certified - during testing for that certification, they blast your motherboard with RF crap and see if it still works. And they use more than I think your average lidless power supply puts out...

Of course, try it. Unless you damage the power supply somehow, there's really no way you can harm anything.

Back