power supply problem

N H O

2[H]4U
hello i hav an antec true power 380s in my system that im using and it sparks inside the power supply every time the PSU switch is on and i plug the cord in and it has fumes and the burnt smell heres a pic of where it sparks

the red part is where it sparks.....ne ideas??? the psu is working fine but damn it sparks and smells! please help! thanks

One idea you may want to try-
Lose that PSU and get a new one pronto. You should definitely RMA if it's still under warranty. You've got a nice little fire hazard there! :eek: Antecs are generally good about not taking your system with them when they blow up, but I would not keep that thing around if I were you.

Something is shorted in there, and that's nothing to take lightly when you're playing with that much power!

Nice diagram :p

Zinn said:
One idea you may want to try-
Lose that PSU and get a new one pronto. You should definitely RMA if it's still under warranty. You've got a nice little fire hazard there! :eek: Antecs are generally good about not taking your system with them when they blow up, but I would not keep that thing around if I were you.

Something is shorted in there, and that's nothing to take lightly when you're playing with that much power!

Nice diagram :p
thanks :p well the smell went away and the power supply is running 100% fine

N H O said:
thanks :p well the smell went away and the power supply is running 100% fine
what?! so you didn't do anything? I don't mean to be mean here, but do you understand that it can blow up and cause a fire?

RMA or replace it ASAP, or get it to an electronics tech that can help you repair the fault. Sounds like something didn't get soldered properly or is failing or has failed near the power socket.

well i juss bought a true power 430 from a board member and imma giv this power supply to my dad to fix since hes an expert at these kinda things...thanks for ur help guys

to "spark" it need to jump a gap, either in its own proper circuit (meaning a bad connection)
or to ground (a short)

It sounds like you live in a very dry place or it is a cold winter. Does it do this on rainy days too, or just dry ones? Perhaps you should just leave the cord in, because when the PSU is in the "on" position and you plug it in there is a large power draw, and humidity usually stops the sparks from this process when there is a gap between the power cord and PSU.

Does your monitor do the same thing when you put the cord in?

(The spark sounds like the electrical jumps that happen when the humidity is very low. It doesn't sound like a PSU defect...unless the humidity is high and it is internal instead of where you plug the cord in)

is there any difference between the older version and the newer true power 430's?? the new one says that it has 26amps on the +12V and the older one has 20amps on the 12V+ :confused:

Tim_axe said:
It sounds like you live in a very dry place or it is a cold winter. Does it do this on rainy days too, or just dry ones? Perhaps you should just leave the cord in, because when the PSU is in the "on" position and you plug it in there is a large power draw, and humidity usually stops the sparks from this process when there is a gap between the power cord and PSU.

Does your monitor do the same thing when you put the cord in?

(The spark sounds like the electrical jumps that happen when the humidity is very low. It doesn't sound like a PSU defect...unless the humidity is high and it is internal instead of where you plug the cord in)
nah i live in houston and its humid and this is the first time it sparked INSIDE the psu housing

it could be a desiccated as a thousand year old mummy and it still shouldnt be shorting
Relative Humidity (RH) does play a huge role in ESD events
ESD & Electromigration Rant
but the line should be insulated preventing that and any contact solder point removed enough to prevent it as well.

I live on the Rocky Mountain High Desert Plateau, and in the Winter with a gas Furnace desiccating the air, I use a humidifier when working on my computers, but thats just plain wrong, sounds like the cord\insulation has worn

Ice Czar said:
it could be a desiccated as a thousand year old mummy and it still shouldnt be shorting
Relative Humidity (RH) does play a huge role in ESD events
ESD & Electromigration Rant
but the line should be insulated preventing that and any contact solder point removed enough to prevent it as well.

I live on the Rocky Mountain High Desert Plateau, and in the Winter with a gas Furnace desiccating the air, I use a humidifier when working on my computers, but thats just plain wrong, sounds like the cord\insulation has worn
hmph wierd.....i got the psu with the case in the summer of '04....shouldnt be nethin wrong :confused:

is there anyway i can contact antec besides faxing them lik they say on their site??

Return Policy

Should a product become defective during the warranty period, please fax the Antec RMA Department and request a return merchandise authorization number.

Please include the following information in the fax:
A. Company Name, Telephone Number, and Contact Name.
B. Original Antec Invoice Number, or other Proof of Purchase.
C. Item Name, Serial Number and the problem.

Fax the information to (510)770-1288, Attn: RMA. Once we receive the fax, our RMA Dept. will process the authorization and call with or fax you your Authorization Number.

Back