Power supply with 3 vid cards question

Hey all,

Had a question. I'm running 2 GTX 460's in SLI with Nvidia 2d Surround, running off a 750Watt Corsair PSU (in my sig). I have a spare 9800GTX on the shelf and was thinking about adding it in to run a 4th 'accessory display' for my MSI afterburner, etc. Do you think this PSU could handle the 9800 in addition to the rest of the gear in my rig......, in the sig:D

Thanks!!

-SR

It might, but I really doubt it. The minimum for two 460s is about 700W, and that's for a single hard drive without taking OC into account. I would expect brownouts with any additional graphics cards in your configuration.

the 9800gtx is barley going to draw any power. first of all, it will never leave 2d mode where the clocks are reduced. 2nd its never going to be stressed.

It will be pretty close, but it should work, just. This of course assumes you have a molex->PCIe power connector adapter for it, as the PSU doesn't have enough connectors to run all three cards.
Your load level should be around 580-600W max, so you have some headroom with a 750W PSU, as long as the 460s are stock.

Back