Powerbook G4 won't charge battery?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
I have a PB 800 with a new battery that won't charge all of a sudden. Last night it ran down to 0% (didn't suspend for some reason when I shut the lid) and now it won't charge the battery. The plug is green, won't turn orange, and the battery reads 0% charge both on it's LED's (one blinks) and on OSX. I tried my old battery, and that one will charge, but not the new one.

Any ways to force it to start charging?

Does your battery get hot?

It might be toast.. You could take it to a dealer like Batteries Plus , sometimes they can fix the cells for cheap

Maad said:
Does your battery get hot?

It might be toast.. You could take it to a dealer like Batteries Plus , sometimes they can fix the cells for cheap

I don't believe it did, but I can't say for sure.

Is it a real apple battery or a knock off. It sounds like the battery if prob wasted. Sounds like it was a cheap knock off.

I had a charging problem in my G4 1.33. Turns out when I plugged it in, it would supply the PB power, but not charge the battery. Warranty swapped out the internal power connector board and it worked after that.

Hope it works out for you.

I would take your battery and your powerbook into an Applestore. If you have your receipt for the battery bring it as well as it has a 1 year warranty.
You can also try calling 1-800-APL-CARE and let them know what the deal is with your battery. The fact that the old one works fine leads me to believe the new battery failed and if it's still under the year warranty there should be no trouble getting it replaced.

T-Bird 151 said:
What is a PMU reset?
Reset PMU Instructions

The Power Management Unit (PMU) controls practically all of the power that flows in and out of the computer. Sometimes if a computer won't charge, power on, or the ac adapter stops working; resetting the PMU can fix it.

Back