Powerbook or iBook

chrisfnet

Limp Gawd
Well, I'm going to get one or the other. I'm thinking about going with the iBook. How is the iBook performance?

• 256MB DDR266 (256MB built-in)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display
• 1.2GHz PowerPC G4
• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

That's the machine I'm planning on getting... After AppleCare it's $1,827.00 new. Are there any better (cheaper) places to purchase the machines than the Apple Store. Will 256MB be sufficient for normal MacOS X usage? Also, where might I purchase cheap RAM for this to upgrade later?

$1827.00 is more than I was planning on spending, but that seems to be the minimum to get a nice machine. I have a lot of questions, just can't think of them all to ask at the moment.

It depends on what you want the laptop for.
While iBooks are good machines, they carry less level 2 cach 256kb if i remember, and the Powerbook is at 512. it helps a little, I have a 2 year old 500mhz 15 inch Powerbook Titanium, and it has 1mb L2 cache. it ends up doing pretty good with Final cut pro, or photoshop as long as i send it across the network for rendering.

You can find the previous 1ghz Powerbook 15inch on the web, or on Apple for 1499.00 new. They have the combo drive as well. I think you would still see a difference with the 1ghz PB verses the newer iBook, the PB will still be faster.

From the other people I've talked to.. they're recommending that I get a G4. If I'm not willing to pay the extra $1000 or so for the Powerbook (which of course is going to be better), then go with the 14" iBook.

I'm doing some price comparisons at the moment...

If you want to use that thing for photoshop or other supacool video/audio type stuff, I would recommend going up to 512mb of RAM. You can get it very fairly priced from Crucial. Otherwise any PC2100 256mb SoDIMM will work, maybe not quite as reliably. It's easy to install too :).

Is that 60gb necessary? That has to be adding a fairly large chunk of your price...

BTW, the new Ibook's are very nice. Mine is very snappy.

The 60gb is stock on the 1.2ghz 14". I'd definately pick up some more ram, another 256 or so at least. You should be able to use any decent PC2100 so-dimm, so pick it up at newegg, or whatever your favorite online store is.

Both the iBook and the Powerbook have 512k on-die L2, and the Powerbooks have a faster system bus. Although, if I remember correctly, that doesn't make a noticable difference with a G4. Personally, I would go with the iBook over the 12" Powerbook, but if you're willing to pay for the 15" Powerbook it might be worth it. Then you'd be getting a higher res display, and a much better graphics chip - this is really the biggest difference.

The-Hole said:
You can find the previous 1ghz Powerbook 15inch on the web, or on Apple for 1499.00 new. They have the combo drive as well. I think you would still see a difference with the 1ghz PB verses the newer iBook, the PB will still be faster.

you are wrong on the new part there...the 1499 Powerbook is a refurb...still has the same as new warranty but it is not a new product

as for you question on if you can get it cheaper...HERE was my answer to that question last time it was asked (see my first post)

gigglebyte said:
you are wrong on the new part there...the 1499 Powerbook is a refurb...still has the same as new warranty but it is not a new product

as for you question on if you can get it cheaper...HERE was my answer to that question last time it was asked (see my first post)

I have 3 in my store right now. Brand New unopened. 2 after today as i will take one home.
I am a Commercial Apple Sales rep.

I prefer the 12" PB over the iBooks anyday... it just feels more solid.

The-Hole said:
I have 3 in my store right now. Brand New unopened. 2 after today as i will take one home.
I am a Commercial Apple Sales rep.

Hook me up! :)

If you are comparing between the newer 12" PB or the 12" iBook, I would recommend that you get the newer 1GHZ 12" iBook.

I have the older 1GHZ 12" PB and the size is perfect for what I am using it for. I mainly use the Powerbook for my University work. The weight is a big plus IMO. No need for me to break my back carrying around a laptop from point A to B.

Reason why I like the newer 12" iBook a whole lot is because it has the same specs as my 12" Powerbook. Since I think the power behind the 12" 1GHZ Powerbook is enough for me and my usage, I think that most people will also be satisfied.

All you will need is to bump up that Ram to 768MB and you are good to go. Like mentioned on my earlier post on a different thread, Apple is very nice this time around because they jacked up the L2 cache and also lets iBook users up their Ram to 768MB instead of being capped off at 640MB. So yeah, a big plus for the 12" iBook.

Unless you need the extras and the feel (look) of the Powerbook, the iBook is the way to go. You can use the extra money you saved for a stick of 512MB of Ram and an iPod or something ;)

chrisfnet said:
But what about your super-tiny screen?
Your 14" iBook has the same resolution as the 12" PB and the screen isn't that bad at all.

As for iBook vs PowerBook.... when I felt both in the store, the iBook just felt cheap next to the PBs, and the PB is a bit more powerful too.

jeffbax said:
Your 14" iBook has the same resolution as the 12" PB and the screen isn't that bad at all.

As for iBook vs PowerBook.... when I felt both in the store, the iBook just felt cheap next to the PBs, and the PB is a bit more powerful too.

I'd much rather run 1024x768 on a 14" screen than a 12" screen. Though, I run a 19" CRT monitor currently, so I guess I'm partial to larger displays.

I think people mistake "felt cheap" for "no metal casing". Of course a coated plastic case is going to feel cheaper than a metal case. However, how many other laptops out there have a metal case?

Definetly get the 512RAM upgrade regardless of which you choose, having 256 is simply not enough to run comfortably in OS X.

The best bang for the buck is definetly an iBook. What kind of perifs are you going to need? Do you need a PCMCIA slot?

chrisfnet said:
I'd much rather run 1024x768 on a 14" screen than a 12" screen. Though, I run a 19" CRT monitor currently, so I guess I'm partial to larger displays.

I think people mistake "felt cheap" for "no metal casing". Of course a coated plastic case is going to feel cheaper than a metal case. However, how many other laptops out there have a metal case?

My current (x86) laptop has a 1024x768 12" screen, I don't mind it at all. Personally I prefer higher-res LCDs, I think they look nicer.

Personally, I think that the PB is the sexiest computer ever made and would spend a little more to get it...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D

when a new line of powerbooks come out, does apple drop price and still sell the last line?

i love the g4, but i want to wait and see how the g5 PB looks before i commit 2 grand.

Usually Apple doesn't, but they do sometimes.

Other dealers usually will have recent models, new and in box. They're not as much cheaper as you'd hope, though. I've had good luck with Small Dog - www.smalldog.com.

not true...there is a section on the Apple Store site called special deals...that is where previous generation and refurb products are listed...when a new series comes out the old product is moved to that section for sale

Yups, that is a great thing about Apple.

When the new product comes to replace the older ones, they make it so that the newer product cost the same as the product before it.

The product before it then becomes cheaper, way cheaper.

I love that about Apple.

With HP and Sony and etc. You will see diff. prices, some of the newer stuff will be cheaper than the older stuff, which does not make sense at all.

yep! And there's a nice 15" previous gen for $1599 with student discount on there right now..
PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/60GB/Combo/GigE/15"TFT-Aluminum

Deific said:
yep! And there's a nice 15" previous gen for $1599 with student discount on there right now..
PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/60GB/Combo/GigE/15"TFT-Aluminum

Nice price.

I've decided to go with this machine:

14" iBook

• 256MB DDR266 (256MB built-in)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display
• 1.2GHz PowerPC G4
• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 768MB, and probably leave it at that.

gigglebyte said:
not true...there is a section on the Apple Store site called special deals...that is where previous generation and refurb products are listed...when a new series comes out the old product is moved to that section for sale

Ah ok, its been a *very* long time since I've been shopping for a new Mac :)

Grr. Bank is rejecting payment for some reason. It's not due to lack of money, not due to difference in addresses.

The Apple representative wasn't at all helpful.

Some cards have a daily purchase limit.. and you have to call in to tell them to let the charge go through..

Good luck on the purchase though :)

jeffbax said:
Giggle, what do you do ? Sell apples?

And could I get a better deal buying from you than from the apple store for education? (specifically on software)

Okay, everything with the order is fine now. Yay!

I'd like to thank Dean for all of his help. Any time I purchase through Apple, it will be through him.

I guess Apple doesn't take your money out until right when the item ships. Yesterday, the Apple rep told me the order was okay. The bank told me everything was okay. I look today at my bank account and the money's still there.

Ergh. Making large online purchases is such a hassle.

I do tech for Apple but sell on the side :) guess that is what happens when I get pulled to help the sales group and it was kind of fun :p Prices they would be the same as what you can get online (can do the Edu side as well) and it makes me and my boss look good :D and chrisfnet...you are right...we don't charge until the unit actually ships and that is the way it should be for ALL online resellers because it would be like going into Sears and paying for a TV that they won't ship for 2 weeks

Yay. I got my iBook finally, today. I'm at work right now, but during the lull I decided to hook it up and get everything going.

It's absolutely beautiful. :) I'd imagine anything I purchase in the computer realm now will be Apple. Very slick.

I also ordered a nice case, and 512MB RAM. I should get those sometime soon.

Muahahah!

Back