Poweredge SC420 - Mirroring (RAID 1) SATA Drives

MERKMAN

Limp Gawd
Good evening. My Poweredge SC420 arrived a couple days ago, and I found time after work today to install Windows XP and Office. So I'm very close to bringing the server online for the simple network file sharing I plan to use it for. But I want to be able to keep data backed up, and I know the SC420 has two SATA connections, so I want to run RAID 1 either through the BIOS or Windows XP. That way, if a drive fails... I boot from the other and away I go. ;)

That said, I don't know exactly how this will work. Does the PowerEdge provide mirroring utilities in the BIOS for SATA drives? Do I just add the 2nd drive, go into Administrative Tools, and create the new drive as a "Mirrored" unit? I've setup spanning before, using two hard drives in Computer Management, but never done any RAID 1 / Mirroring before. Any tips or suggestions on how to do it right would be appreciated. And thanks for your time!

I haven't done RAID on this particular machine yet. I do have a RAID 0 setup on my main machine, and there was a utility built right into the BIOS to administer the RAID subsystem. I have one of these servers as well, seems like I remember seeing these options in the BIOS.

Back