Powerline networking: full duplex? half duplex?

venm11

2[H]4U
I've been considering powerline networking for my home, because of certain difficulties pulling cables in one area. Wifi is saturated here in the city.

My first question is - how do I interpret the speed ratings? If the device is 500mbit, does that mean it's split 250mbs upstream and downstream, or can either direction utilize the full 500mbit?

My 2nd question - will a 500mbit device perform better than a 50mbit device in the presence of interference? I know these do drop to a fraction of their optimal bitrate when there's problems on the line. But is 500mbit 10x better than 50mbit in that case?

not really sure, never used the devices so don't know if that is supposed to be full duplex or not. I do know from what I have ever read and heard you will not get full utilization. So no, it won't be 10x faster than a 50Mbps link, but should be at least 4 - 5x time faster at least in some cases. Depending on how the house is ran you could have almost worthless speeds. These devices can be impacted by a lot of different things.

Back