Powermac g4 power button......help

Ok, so I posted earlier about a power mac g4 psu, so the psu unit is fine tested it with the power using the paper clip trick. so I plug everything in and the machine turns on by it self, so I am like great this thing works, no hard drive but it works.

so I hit the power button, nothing, so I say press it again, this time I hold it down, nothing, the reboot button works great though.so now I am a little puzzled. So I yank the cable out the back, and its off, grab a live linux ppc disc just to see if everything will work. so I plug the cable back in and nothing.... does wanna turn on. So It seems like the power button this thing is gone, which seems as the button seems to work fine mechanically.....checked the power connections. any suggestions what might be the culprit here...

Yes, resetting the PMU should do the trick. I had a similar problem once. You can find the PMU reset near the edge of your motherboard, it's a little button that says PMU Reset next to it.

ok I will try that thank you very much folks, the machine however does randomly start, ok I can fix the openfirmware time and date, btw my brother just got this used, so I am not sure of the exact model, he bought it without a hdd, or an os, so he is getting a hdd and a version of osx.

so yeah and ubuntu live disc is reporting the cpu speed to be 2089 GHz....which seems sooo wrong....

ok another update, so I turn off the machine, opened her up, found the button next to the battery, pressed it, closed up the machine hit the power button, nothing......I guess I have to wait for the random startups....

I thinking now its the battery..........

Back