Pranknet Leader Unmasked

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at The Smoking Gun have outdone themselves with this extremely thorough investigation and subsequent unmasking of the people behind Pranknet. You’ll remember that Pranknet is the group of people behind the rash of hotel pranks that have caused massive property damage and victimized total strangers. If you thought these guys were bunch of social rejects living in their mom’s basement…you’d be right.

Coalescing in an online chat room, members of the group, known as Pranknet, use the telephone to carry out cruel and outrageous hoaxes, which they broadcast live around-the-clock on the Internet. Masquerading as hotel employees, emergency service workers, and representatives of fire alarm companies, "Dex" and his cohorts have successfully prodded unwitting victims to destroy hotel rooms and lobbies, set off sprinkler systems, activate fire alarms, and damage assorted fast food restaurants.

Althoug wrong of them to carry out these pranks, they certainly make a good point in showing how unbelievably gullible people are.

Ouch, may be some ass pounding prison time coming up for some of these folks.

Enjoy the Federal Pound Me In The Ass prison.

That article was very detailed. I lost track of time, but that took a long ass time to read!

Fuck those guys though. There's no excuse for what they did and they need to be punished severely.

That's good work on the TSG guy's. Hopefully the local Police will pick up where they left off.

The pranks would be amusing if they were fiction. I had to keep reminding myself that someone was really doing this stuff.

Nice to seem some investigative journalism, hopefully these guys get shut down soon.

Althoug wrong of them to carry out these pranks, they certainly make a good point in showing how unbelievably gullible people are.

You are confusing gullibility with manipulating people as a function of creating a manufactured crisis where people react based on what they believe to be a real crisis. Easily manipulated? When you instill fear into someone to react that isn't gullibility.

Honestly..
It's time like this that sharia law shows its appeal >.<
People like this.. are just inhuman.

What is the up with this on these forums? Prison is for reform not sexual assault.

There is no hope for this man in the real world. He is who he is and that is a destructive asshole thats a danger to society.

Amazing how unbelievably cruel some people can be to other people. I hope the full extent of the law comes down on these scum.

Does anyone remember that McDonald's case a few years back when a "manager" called the store and had a female worker strip searched at the request of the on-site manager? From what I recall they never caught the person who called in. If it was any sicko, I bet $100 it was this guy.

Every player in the sad saga is such an epic looser or sad-sack no-lifer (in the case of the woman at the end) it defies all reason. Wow.

Bravo to TSG for rooting this one out. And the cops couldn't do it why?

Every player in the sad saga is such an epic looser or sad-sack no-lifer (in the case of the woman at the end) it defies all reason. Wow.

Because they really didn't care.

Wow, now that is quite extreme. The crazy part is the caller got off free while the other people got probation and prison. :( I sure hope the pranknet people do not get off so easily

Jurisdiction issues with the main two guys living in Canada. All targets were based in the US. As long as TSG has solid evidence, there is a good chance they could now be extradited to the US.

What is the up with this on these forums? Prison is for reform not sexual assault.

Yeah, reform my ass. If that were the case, why are there repeat offenders? I could give you an example of failed reform in the form of a cousin of mine who's back in prison for being a damn idiot, but I'm too tired to type out (and a bit hazy on some of) the details (summed up: drug posession with intent to distribute, 2nd offense). Suffice it to say, our reform system doesn't work.

BTW, if you (not you specifically, people in general) don't quite get it, "Pound him in the ass prison" is a nice way of referring to maximum security. "Conjugal visit prison" would be minimum security. Office Space FTW.

What would happen if TSG and 4CHAN became one? Would they do thorough investigations against other internet criminals and then punish them by flooding their networks with packets containing the best of /b/?

YeahI could give you an example of failed reform in the form of a cousin of mine who's back in prison for being a damn idiot,

MV5BNTM3ODE2NjkzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg5MDIzMQ@@._V1._SX283_SY400_.jpg

im sorry but nobody forced them to destroy rooms or set off alarms... kinda retarded of the people to do so. on the flip side, these guys are dorks...

im sorry but nobody forced them to destroy rooms or set off alarms... kinda retarded of the people to do so. on the flip side, these guys are dorks...

So by that same logic, if I forget to lock my house door its "OK" to come into my house and rob me?

Pranks are supposed to be funny, not cruel, and this guy "Dex" is has a mean streak a mile wide. And like all Bullies, he acted like a coward when TSG found him out. Another "keyboard commando" hiding behind the internet, but not such a tough guy when confronted for real.

My feeling to him and the other involved: Enjoy prison...losers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Humans are usually willing to follow someone who they assume to be a superior or official. I think it's not so much that they are gullible, but that society is hierarchical. Shit rolls downhill, and I'm sure any one of us had to, at least once in their life, obey a boss whose commands we might not have agreed with. Might have been logically and/or morally reprehensible, but hey, we were just following orders. And we need money to live and buy tech shit.

I actually agree with his misanthropy, but not with him trying to exclude himself as an exception. There are no exceptions. This is the way our society has decided to order itself, and he is just latching on to the system in a different way. Hell, history is littered with cases like this, from Robert Hendy-Freegard, to Madoff, to Charles Manson. It's really an animal, "alpha-dog" sort of thing, maybe?

Now that is funny.

Prison is for punishment and keeping creeps off the street. If these guys get sexually assaulted there lets consider that a bonus.

This looks like clear terrorism to me - any reason why it isn't? These people used fear to cause distress, destruction of property and in some cases risk of bodily harm. Looks clear-cut to me. Never mind prison, why are they not on their way to Gitmo? You find one member of Pranknet operating outside the US, or one victim based there, and you've got international terrorism that qualifies the entire organisation for indefinite detention.

Just out of curiosity, is there any news of majik being arrested? I understand TSG has done a lot to probe into this. But reading the story, it looks like no one has done anything due to jurisdiction, or just real solid evidence.

Extradite this sack of crap and let his victims witness his day in court! There is no tolerance for domestic terrorism.

I hope this guy and his cronies are locked up for years. The more time their behind bars, the better for the rest of society.

Just out of curiosity, is there any news of majik being arrested? I understand TSG has done a lot to probe into this. But reading the story, it looks like no one has done anything due to jurisdiction, or just real solid evidence.

It will take time for prosecutors to build a case. The can use TSGs stuff as a guide but they have to assemble they own independent evidence trail that will hold up in court, that will take time especially considering the case involves multiple national and state jurisdictions.

Back