Pre-Built Computer Recommendations

MadBadger

n00b
Hi Everyone,

It’s been a very long time since I purchased a pre-built computer and about 2 years since I built my own and so I’m woefully out of touch with the computer hardware world. I was hoping to get some recommendations for my brother for a good pre-built gaming desktop that’s priced between 2 to 3 thousand dollars.

His biggest requirement is that it be able to run his 30” dell monitor with all the programs he normally uses (office type programs, video editing, some gaming). He doesn’t game extensively, but I’m assuming he shouldn’t have problems finding a rig that can drive that monitor given his budget.

I’m leaving the country soon (and we’re half a country apart from one another), so a pre-built computer is his only option. From my preliminary research, these are the companies that I’ve been hearing good things about: Maingear, AVAdirect, Puget, Velocity Micro. I’ve also heard of Falcon Northwest and Alienware, but from what I’ve seen on their websites, they appear to be fairly severely overpriced. Also, he and I have both had problems with Dell in the past, so they’re out of the question.

I’d say his main concerns would be: Quality of build (Reliability), Customer Service, and Bang for the buck. As such, features like overclocking aren’t a necessity. He’s not a huge computer enthusiast so the simpler and more reliable, the better.

Any recommendations? Apart from companies, what about components? Given his requirements and budget, what do you guys recommend for graphics card(s), processor, mobo, ram etc. For instance, intel vs. amd; ATI vs Nvidia? Since he has a 30” dell, is there anything I should look out for?

Apologies for the onslaught of questions, but I’m so out of touch with where hardware is at nowadays. Hope you can help.

Cheers!

MB

From my preliminary research, these are the companies that I’ve been hearing good things about: Maingear, AVAdirect, Puget, Velocity Micro. I’d say his main concerns would be: Quality of build (Reliability), Customer Service, and Bang for the buck.

All four of those companies are recommended here on [H], and all of them have good service. The difference is going to be parts selection and pricing. My favorite is AVA Direct, because of their huge selection of parts and their low prices. I have had two friends and my father order and receive computers from AVA Direct, and all of them are happy with their computers. I ordered a computer from AVA Direct, and it is currently being processed. They are going out of their way to try to get me an overclock on a Q9450 to at least 3.2GHz while using 8GB RAM. Using four sticks of memory is known to be hard on overclocking. I might have to cut back to 4GB RAM, but I know they will have done their best to accommodate me. I am writing up my experience in this thread here on [H]: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1311103

I was hoping to get some recommendations for my brother for a good pre-built gaming desktop that’s priced between 2 to 3 thousand dollars. His biggest requirement is that it be able to run his 30” dell monitor with all the programs he normally uses (office type programs, video editing, some gaming). He doesn’t game extensively, but I’m assuming he shouldn’t have problems finding a rig that can drive that monitor given his budget.

I would definitely recommend a quad-core processor, specifically the Q9450, for multi-tasking the office programs, and also the video editing. At least 4GB RAM, maybe 8GB depending on which programs he uses. For the video card, that's going to depend more on which games he plays, and the fact that nVidia and ATI are releasing next generation video cards this week and next week. We'll be seeing reviews for the new cards when they are released, so at this time can't say which one would be best for your brother. Hard drives should be one or two of the new Western Digital Caviar SE 16 drives, either the 320GB or the 640GB. The best DVD burner would be the Samsung S203B or S203N (Lightscribe). Good cases are made by Antec and Cooler Master. Personally I like the Antec Performance One P182.

Can you tell us which programs he uses, and which games he plays? I could configure an AVA Direct computer for you when I have that information. I know there won't be a problem meeting your budget.

If he can wait, tell him to be patient for 2-3 more weeks until the new video cards are released and reviewed.

I'll be happy to address any questions you might have for Puget, but I think any of the companies you listed would be great. Aside from hardware, I would also look closely at support options and hours for each company--everyone hopes that there's never any problems, but it's great to be covered if you end up needing help.

AndonSage - Thanks for the great info and the link to your impressions thread. Your new rig looks awesome (and well built); I anticipate your bringing AoC to its virtual knees in short order :). I emailed my brother asking him which programs he'll be using and I'll update when I hear back from him. It sounds like you've been doing your research and it'd be great to get your build suggestions. It's also good to know that your friends and father have had positive experiences with them.

horrorshow - Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize new cards were coming out, I'll be sure to let him know.

Heather Taylor - Thanks for the offer of assistance, I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions for you.

Back