Pre-Unibody Macbook Pro Questions

selizo

Limp Gawd
The first question between the matte ones and glossy ones. Anyone have experiences with both of them? I generally prefer matte over glossy but there is a glossy one for sale locally at a great price and I would like to hear some opinions on them. I believe they were optional on this generation of Macbook Pro.

Secondly, how reliable is the x1600 graphics card? I know the Nvidia ones are ticking time bombs and its not if but when they will go bad.

Don't know where you picked up the "ticking time bomb" theory on Nvidia cards in the MBP. I've owned 4 since 2007 (2 pre-unibody w/8600, 2 unibody w/9600) and never had the slightest problem with any of them. I develop video simulations which rely heavily on the GPU. My MBPs have worked flawlessly.

As for matte vs. glossy, I was a die-hard matte screen user but after just about an hour with my first unibody MBP, I was perfectly fine with the glossy screen.

I assume he is referring to this whole mess what was a big topic back a while ago. I have had several of the supposed effected GPUs also, mobile and desktops, and also never had a problem with any of them...

I currently own a MacBook Pro with a Nvidia card and never have had a problem either. I wouldn't be so quick to overlook Pro's with a Nvidia card.

I still have one and I had the nvidia card/chipset die on me. I still use the laptop as my main machine and consider it a great purchase, but yeah you might want to check and see if Apple is still fixing machines with the 8800s in them. Otherwise it has a been the perfect computer and since a local Apple shop (not the worthless Apple store... they refused to do anything. I actually posted here about it) got it fixed for free in a few days, I don't consider the 8800m's anything to worry about so long as they are still repairing them out of warranty.

As for the glossy vs matte, it really depends on two things. Are you very tall? And do you plan to use it often in a place with a lot of wall (not ceiling) level lights? If you are short like me (5'9") and generally use it with lighting from the ceiling then you might prefer the glossy. It really only seems to hurt if you angle the display up (i.e. very tall) or have a lot of wall height lighting. The glossy displays really do make the colors pop particularly if you are in bright light. If you are planning on using this for photographic work that would also change things, but since you did not mention that I will assume you aren't.

Back