Prefer Vista to Windows 7?

dreamer3kx

Limp Gawd
Having using Vista for two years I have gotten so used to it and have it running extremely fast and stable I had to uninstall W7 and install vista again, I will definitely upgrade when W7 launches but for now I just love Vista, anybody else feel like this?

I love 7 but have no plans to run it as a primary OS just because some things still are not working. I don't think it's unusual to not want to run a beta OS 1 year out from launch, over an established working OS.

I'm currently in process of converting all my machines (3 desktops, 3 laptops, some old hardware here and some new) to Windows 7 Beta 1 x86 and x64 as appropriate. I've been a diehard XP Pro x64 fan/user/supporter since long before it was officially released years ago, but I'm finally at a point where Windows 7 is the OS I've been hoping Microsoft could make.

Vista just didn't "do it" for me, and I can't specifically say why. I just don't like Vista and that's about as simple as I can make it. I do like Windows 7, in spades, so it'll be my primary OS from now on.

I still have XP Pro x64 around if needed, but it's Windows 7 from here on out.

I think Windows 7 has some great features, and I like how drivers are now part of Windows Update, which should be good for novice users.

However, I personally don't like the User Interface as much as I like the one on Vista, so I don't think I'll be using Windows 7 as my primary operating system at this point in time. Considering the beta hasn't proved to be any faster than my Vista install so far(Even though it was promised by so many blogs/articles/reviews/benchmarks to annihilate Vista), I don't see any reason to deal with the unfamiliar GUI.

I think Windows 7 has some great features, and I like how drivers are now part of Windows Update, which should be good for novice users.

However, I personally don't like the User Interface as much as I like the one on Vista, so I don't think I'll be using Windows 7 as my primary operating system at this point in time. Considering the beta hasn't proved to be any faster than my Vista install so far(Even though it was promised by so many blogs/articles/reviews/benchmarks to annihilate Vista), I don't see any reason to deal with the unfamiliar GUI.

Drivers have also been included with Windows Update but they are generally WHQL drives from Microsoft and I can't say how often I've seen Windows update break a system by updating drivers.

Perhaps this has been fixed but thats to be seen.

Since I was on a laptop for the last year I just built my system, stuck in my XP-Pro 32 to get started. Bought Vista Home Premium x64 before Xmas to try it out, and am now triple booting with Win7. So I'm learning both of the newer OSes at the same time. Windows update still breaks the internet connection with it's Realtek Lan driver in both Vista x64 and Win 7 x64. I prefer the appearence of the taskbar in Vista, but prefer the o-all feel of Win7, it's more intuitive, and feels quicker. I don't have CCC in win 7 so I had to run a few 3dmark versions to see if it was an ATI driver or a generic one, and it seems the same vintage as 8.12. I hope I can reduce the size of the desktop icons in both of the versions, for my tastes they look ridiculous, and I would prefer if Win7's taskbar could be reduced to about 70% of it's current height. I have nothing really negative to say about either, Vista seems better than I thought it would be, but it still feels like I have to click 6-8 times to do something just like XP, but Win7 can do it in 3-4 clicks. Since I've only been testing Vista randomly for the last 2 weeks, and Win7 since the public beta, the mem footprints seem similar.

Having said all that, Microsoft is going to have a lot less trouble getting money out of my jeans with Win 7, than they did with Vista.

Geez, I'm in a limited user account in Vista64 with UAC in quiet mode and using IE64 I couldn't download the Win7 beta because the akamai download manager wouldn't install even though I gave it admin rights to do so, just kept recycling trying to install every time I refreshed the screen. So I copy the direct download link into Firefox where I didn't even have scripts enabled for that link and it starts downloading immediately with no akamai crap even needed. Firefox w/noscript FTW!

The direct download link would have worked just fine in IE also, yanno... it's that damned Microsoft/Akamai download manager that causes way way more issues than it addresses...

It was the exact same link that kept telling me to install akamai download manager in IE64, yanno. In FF got no such prompt using the exact same link and didn't even have javascript enabled even though Microsoft claims you need either activex or javascript to download it. I was able to download it with no scripts enabled at all.

anybody else feel like this?

Sort of. I like 7's new taskbar and the performance is great, but I'm waiting for a handful of programs to become compatible. I also want some little things like the classic start menu.

I'll still be playing with it on a secondary machine so I can send Microsoft feedback and see how things are progressing.

Geez, I'm in a limited user account in Vista64 with UAC in quiet mode and using IE64 I couldn't download the Win7 beta because the akamai download manager wouldn't install even though I gave it admin rights to do so, just kept recycling trying to install every time I refreshed the screen. So I copy the direct download link into Firefox where I didn't even have scripts enabled for that link and it starts downloading immediately with no akamai crap even needed. Firefox w/noscript FTW!

I haven't had much luck with IE64 and generally avoid it.

It was the exact same link that kept telling me to install akamai download manager in IE64, yanno. In FF got no such prompt using the exact same link and didn't even have javascript enabled even though Microsoft claims you need either activex or javascript to download it. I was able to download it with no scripts enabled at all.

Cha-ching... there ya go. IE 64 bit doesn't work with ActiveX - Javascript yes, ActiveX, no. If you were using the direct download link for the .iso file itself (either one, 32 bit or 64 bit), you'll never get a "download manager" prompt in IE; it'll start the download because... <tada>... it's a direct link to the direct file, no scripting of any kind involved in the process.

I cannot WAIT for the real deal of W7x64. I'm in love after a day of using it. Already prefer it to Vista, and I love Vista. Bring it MS!!

What IS the ETA anyway??

You are not paying attention, Joe. I didn't use any direct download link! I used the same link that is what you get at the end of the registration process and right after you are given the serial code. I just now copied the link into IE 32bit and it still wants me to install the akamai crap so has nothing to do with IE64 at all. In FF w/nocript I was able to download Win7 using that exact same link with no prompt for anything except where to save the file. In other words, I was able to bypass the need for akamai download manager just by simply using FF w/noscript. Do try to keep up!

I did find a direct download link earlier but the forum required registration so went through the Microsoft Win7 channel instead because I needed a serial code anyway.

The direct links to the ISO files have been posted here like, 75 times in the past 2 days... geez... in multiple threads, especially the long one in the News section... pay attention, dammit. :D

Whats' the use of a direct download link when you have to register to get a serial code anyway? As you can see, I already have my very own personal direct download link just by using FF w/noscript. I pwned Microsoft!

But you don't need a Product Key to install it or use it...

Damn, people just don't read through these threads... what a shame. :)

Using Windows 7 feels very much like using Vista to me, so they mostly appear equivalent other than some small enhancements in 7. The main area in which I prefer Vista, though, is the taskbar - the new visual style is fine (and I like the way progress bars appear on taskbar buttons) but I've never liked grouping and would prefer a separate quicklaunch section.

I tried the direct link from HardOCP's front page several times over the past two days and the download always stalled. I finally went to the MS site and downloaded it from there.

Using Windows 7 feels very much like using Vista to me, so they mostly appear equivalent other than some small enhancements in 7. The main area in which I prefer Vista, though, is the taskbar - the new visual style is fine (and I like the way progress bars appear on taskbar buttons) but I've never liked grouping and would prefer a separate quicklaunch section.
Pin the applications you want to get quicklaunch. Having a separate quicklaunch is wasteful - it's two places to access the same application (three if you count the start menu). Pinning reduces that to one location that you always look to get to an app.

If you right click the taskbar, go to properties, task bar tab and click 'use small icons', it makes the taskbar like Vista but you gain the functionality of 7. I think it looks a lot better ;)

But you don't need a Product Key to install it or use it...

Damn, people just don't read through these threads... what a shame. :)

Then why did they give me one and have to enter it during the install? Unlike you, I don't spend 24/7 here so don't have time to wade through every thread. ;) Anyway, I have Windows7 up and running just fine for hours now and just need to go install the X-Fi driver because I didn't know about Vista compatibility mode until now.

Pin the applications you want to get quicklaunch. Having a separate quicklaunch is wasteful - it's two places to access the same application (three if you count the start menu). Pinning reduces that to one location that you always look to get to an app.

I agree with Mithent. Having them combined ruins the muscle memory that is so important to a UI. When they're combined if you launch your far left application the others move! and then you don't know exactly where they are without looking.

When they're combined if you launch your far left application the others move!
....no they don't.

Before:
before.png

After:
after.png

In contrast, with quicklaunch, I have to look to the right to see if I have a copy of the program running and then decide which to click on. THAT'S destroying muscle memory right there.

I also want some little things like the classic start menu.
Me too. I thought maybe I was missing the option for it somewhere. I guess not. Maybe we can convince them to put it back. I've never liked the "new" style start menu.

I don't like the explorer in Vista much and now it is even worse in Win7. It shows Documents, Pictures, Videos, and Music in the main explorer Window instead of your drives now. WTF is up with that? I don't even use those default folders for documents, photos etc. in Windows and never have. Good thing I have Free Commander is all I can say.

Then why did they give me one and have to enter it during the install?

There's a checkbox that lets you enter your key later, just like there was in Vista's installer.

I don't like the explorer in Vista much and now it is even worse in Win7. It shows Documents, Pictures, Videos, and Music in the main explorer Window instead of your drives now. WTF is up with that?
You see the little triangles next to favorites, Libraries, and Homegroups? Click those to minimize them and click the one next to computer to show your drives. You can also right click the same area and select "Show All Folders" to use the old standard Explorer style view.

He might mean the folder in the task bar taking you to Favorites instead of Computer.

Only preferring Vista right now because I can't enable my subwoofer in any way in Win7 x64 - the sound card's control panel doesn't work.

I prefer Vista right now, because it works very well for me. However, when Windows 7 goes final and is available in my TechNet sub, I'll be giving it a run for sure.

I love Vista x64 and I love Win7 x64 even more. I won't move to Win7 on my main desktop just yet due to some minor issues that are software based so not MS fault but my laptop is now on Win7 full-time. Love it.

Will probably make the move to Windows 7 across all machines in the house though as soon as it is released to retail.

W7 Beta 1 has been great on my laptop so far. Since my laptop isn't much to gawk about, I found that 32-bit was a little faster than 64-bit, a little snappier and more responsive. Boot and shutdown times are fantastic, I really like it. Can't wait to get the final build in my hands, I'll keep testing it on my guinea pig laptop and then install x64 on my main rig when the time is right.

I just got used to vista, so I'll exclusively run that. W7 overall felt new, and just like the transition from XP to Vista, I'll have to dig through and learn things again. I'm thankful for the beta and VirtualBox.

I'm looking at building a new machine sometime this year. When that happens, I'll look at the OS situation again and see what would be good to go with.

I'm currently in process of converting all my machines (3 desktops, 3 laptops, some old hardware here and some new) to Windows 7 Beta 1 x86 and x64 as appropriate. I've been a diehard XP Pro x64 fan/user/supporter since long before it was officially released years ago, but I'm finally at a point where Windows 7 is the OS I've been hoping Microsoft could make.

Vista just didn't "do it" for me, and I can't specifically say why. I just don't like Vista and that's about as simple as I can make it. I do like Windows 7, in spades, so it'll be my primary OS from now on.

I still have XP Pro x64 around if needed, but it's Windows 7 from here on out.

I didn't think I'd live to see the day :D:D

Back