Pretty high temps....

kaname

Limp Gawd
I just built a C2D system and went through the normal setup, I have XP and Vista setup and all seems to be OK so far besides the temps. I have a E6400 paired with an AC Freezer 7 Pro and an EVGA 680i SLi AR mobo. Big problem here is that at stock speeds and voltages hover at 42C-44C idle and 48C-50C idle @ 3.0 GHz and 1.375 vcore. Under load the temps are at 65C-70C @ stock and about 75C-80C at load sometimes peaking at 85C @ 3.0 GHz and 1.375 vcore. I have one of the newer L2 revisions of the E6400 which seems to be stable at 3.0 GHz and 1.375 vcore.

Core Temp is pulling the temp readings and the weird thing is that in core temp and cpuz, the vcore is off on both. CPUZ shows the voltage at 1.213 and core temp shows 1.325. I have the entire system powered by a PC P&C 610 silencer so I would doubt the voltage being supplied was fluctuating hardly any if at all.

I've flashed to the latest P25 BIOS for the 680i and have all the latest drivers installed. I'm using AS5 silver, reseated the HSF just to make sure that I didn't do it wrong the first time. I made sure both the CPU and HSF was cleaned properly and made sure not too use too much AS5 both times. I checked the IHS on the CPU and it didn't look like it was concave at all.

I don't think the problem could be airflow either, I have an P180B case with the two stock exhaust fans on the rear and top at high when on load and then a Yate Loon D12SL-12 intake in front of the HD's in the front of the case, and another D12SL-12 in the bottom of the case blowing on the PSU. All the cables are either tucked away as best I could get them or behind the mobo.

I've done everything short of lapping and cannot figure out what else it could be causing these temps to be so high. I'm about to start blaming it on the stepping if the lapping doesn't help much, and I know the cooler isn't the best in the world but the CPU should be running cooler then what it's at right now. Anybody have and suggestions as to what else I can try to see if I can get these temps down a bit?

Under Load
Capture2.jpg

Peak
Capture.jpg

65-70C loaded at stock speed? thats extremely high especialy with a pretty good aftermarket cooler like that one. you sure its mounted fully/correctly? remember to use thermal paste? (that was kind of a joke, but seriously did you?) you could also try throwing on your stock intel heatsink for sh*ts and giggles. you never know, maybe something went wrong when they were making that heatsink. maybe they forgot to put coolant in the heat pipes or something.

Take the side of your case off.

Does it help?

How fast is the CPU fan turning?

Taking the side of the case off helps maybe 2 degrees, CPU fan is running at about 2400 which is almost max speed.

65-70C loaded at stock speed? thats extremely high especialy with a pretty good aftermarket cooler like that one. you sure its mounted fully/correctly? remember to use thermal paste? (that was kind of a joke, but seriously did you?) you could also try throwing on your stock intel heatsink for sh*ts and giggles. you never know, maybe something went wrong when they were making that heatsink. maybe they forgot to put coolant in the heat pipes or something.

I don't think there could be anything wrong with the cooler, I last used it on a Pentium D820 and had no problems with it, I believe it kept it at about 40C when I had it on the 820. I'm using AS5 and just enough to barely spread across the contact area. I may try the stock HSF to see if that may make a difference. And I also reseated it twice just to make sure.

thats realy weird then. only other thing i can think of is either your IHS is extremely warped so the cooler isnt making contact, or theres something wrong with the CPU. ive read about that once or twice, people having temperature problems due to a "bad" chip. the chip could have been damaged by you or at the factory, it may still work, boot into windows and run games fine, but for some reason somethings causing it to run much hotter then normal. like a few of the transistors are shorting out or something while still maintaining full function of the cpu.

I have a p180 the artic freezer pro and fans in all the same spots as you.

Temps at stock (1.86 - 6300) 42 -44C Load 58-60C

Try the stock cooler...

If you're still in the 70s or so, it's time to RMA the processor, or lap it.

Ok, anybody have any logic behind this? mobo issue?...or is one program just more unreliable then the other?

logic.jpg

edit..tried stock fan, same temps...

Ok, anybody have any logic behind this? mobo issue?...or is one program just more unreliable then the other?

logic.jpg

edit..tried stock fan, same temps...

weird. I'm not sure if it's bad compensation or if speedfan really is low.

But if you look at the changelog for coretemp between 0.94 and 0.95, you'll see that it changed the issue of allendale l2 showing too low temps in coretemp.

perhaps it's simply crude temp compensation and is too much.

that'd be a pretty nasty guess though and I don't want to offend the writer of coretemp.

perhaps you should email the author and inquire.

speedfan uses the older coretemp code

edit: how about tat?

weird. I'm not sure if it's bad compensation or if speedfan really is low.

But if you look at the changelog for coretemp between 0.94 and 0.95, you'll see that it changed the issue of allendale l2 showing too low temps in coretemp.

perhaps it's simply crude temp compensation and is too much.

that'd be a pretty nasty guess though and I don't want to offend the writer of coretemp.

perhaps you should email the author and inquire.

speedfan uses the older coretemp code

edit: how about tat?

Untitled.jpg

Makes absolutely no sense at all...

those are some crazy results, i wouldnt be surprised if speedfan was bugged like usual but coretemp and TAT are just about always dead on. also coretemp shows the tjunction at 100c which should only be for the kentsfields (quad cores) the 6400 should be lower i forget what its supposed to be, but i know the e6600 has an 85C tjunction, the e6400 would either be equal or lower then that. maybe that e6400 is bugged and thinking its a QX6400 lol. the temps speedfan is showing are more in the range they should be, although still slightly high for that little of an OC, but ive never heard of coretemp and TAT being wrong and speedfan being right, its always the other way around.

Back