RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 2800
PSU: CoolerMaster 650W
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
GPU Drivers: 17.12
Chipset Drivers: 17.40
Background Applications: All

Storage:
WD Blue M.2 SSD 250GB (new)
WD Green 1TB (previous Windows system drive)
SATA DVD-RW

Description of Original Problem:

Not sure if this belongs here or in Motherboards. I just got a new Ryzen 5 and Gigabyte B350m-Gaming 3. The new M.2 system drive is working great but the previously fine Western Digital Green 1TB HDD is ridiculously slow and usually the system freezes if I try to write to it. I can't even complete crystaldiskmark on the HDD but I see ~3MB/s usage while testing or trying to transfer files to this drive.

Fresh Windows installation. Single user.

Unfortunately I do not have another SATA drive yet for testing, maybe this weekend.

I'm looking for some insight into how I can figure out what the problem is, and if I need to RMA the motherboard or buy a new HDD.

Troubleshooting:
  • Reinstalled Windows, in case something went wrong the first time.
  • Installed the AMD chipset driver specifically.
  • Ran Seatools to rule out HDD errors, SMART OK, short test OK.
  • Swapped out the SATA cable and tried three different SATA ports on the MB so far (SATA0,1 and ASATA0). Supposedly the M.2 slot shares SATA3.
  • Updated BIOS to F10. RAM is now at 2800 MHz but HDD still runs awfully.
  • Attempted to re-partition and (non-quick) format win Windows. This appeared to be happening at the same rate (~3 MB/s) and was going to take 12 hours.
  • Nuked it using DBAN reported at ~100 MB/s which makes me suspect it's a software issue.
  • Re-initializing in Windows with quick format after DBAN led to the same result.
  • Chkdisk did not report any errors.

have you checked device manager to make sure the ahci drivers actually updated? most of the time they have to be manually installed...

I checked and have two "Standard SATA AHCI Controller". The same as my other PCs.

I only took pictures of the screen because the PC is not connected to a network currently.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 14
  • index2.jpg
    index2.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 14
that works. its just running on the windows built in drivers. try updating and point to the amd folder in c: see if it find the newer ones.

Glad you figured it out. What did you use to discover the drive was bad?

Bit the bullet and Craigslist'ed the cheapest SATA HDD I could find - a 500GB laptop drive. Installed and it worked at expected speeds as did its permanent replacement 1TB WD Blue.

Last edited:
Back