Prey 2 RIP

Mortuus

[H]ard|Gawd
read that game is officially closed... shame would like to played that :(

Arkane does good work; so hopefully it is true they are working on it...

Here is a link to it on DToid: http://www.destructoid.com/confirmed-prey-2-has-been-cancelled-283248.phtml

No mention of Arkane being involved in development.

I'm kind of glad. Am I the only person who hasn't forgotten what the original Prey played like and what it was about? They had no right to call this game Prey 2... I mean, the cinematic in the link you gave didn't even even remind of Prey in the faintest. Even if it's been firmly established that Prey 2 had nothing to do with the original... that's like making Star Wars episode 8 and we get Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan fighting crime on Mars.

I'm kind of glad. Am I the only person who hasn't forgotten what the original Prey played like and what it was about? They had no right to call this game Prey 2... I mean, the cinematic in the link you gave didn't even even remind of Prey in the faintest. Even if it's been firmly established that Prey 2 had nothing to do with the original... that's like making Star Wars episode 8 and we get Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan fighting crime on Mars.

It had the main character from the first game.

The story of Prey 2 was to focus on U.S. Marshal Killian Samuels, who starts the game on a passenger flight which suddenly crashes onto the Sphere (the crash is shown in the original Prey). At the end of a short battle with some aliens he is knocked unconscious, after which the plot jumps forward several years. Samuels is now a bounty hunter on the alien world Exodus. Though he is aware of his profession and has retained his skills, he has no memory of what happened in the time that passed since his abduction. He initially believes himself to be the only human on Exodus until he runs into Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi (the protagonist of the original Prey), whom he has apparently met in the period he no longer remembers. Killian then resumes his bounty hunter activities while recovering his memory.

*random indie developer leases rights to prey 2, creates proper sequel, becomes huge success, sells well 9.9 on metacritic, developer purchased by ZeniMax, Studio shut down, Prey 3 in limbo for 5 years, Zenimax confirms closure*

I was originally hoping for a true successor to Prey because I really liked Tommy as a main character, but I suppose his story arc had completed and they had nowhere to go with it.

Prey 2 was set to take place in the same universe, but was a drastically different game. The original plan was for you to play a soldier who was on the passenger plane that Tommy saw crash in the first game. You would become a bounty hunter on the alien world years later (as presumably the only human there) with no recollection of previous events. You would eventually bump into Tommy from the first game and that would really get the plot going as your character tries to piece together his past.

What irked me about the game was that they changed the game mechanics, which was probably a bad idea. Prey, by and large, was an old-school linear shooter. Prey 2 was going to be open world -- more NPCs to interact with, more side quests and optional missions, and sticky cover. It took place in the same universe but had a very loose connection to the first Prey, and as a game would have played absolutely nothing like it. In fact many of Prey's mechanics were built around the fact that Tommy was Native American! Obviously they couldn't do that with you playing a Marine turned alien bounty hunter in Prey 2.

I feel like Prey 2 might have been a good game, but serious fans of the original probably wanted the same sort of old school linear shooter that they had with Prey. All things considered maybe it's not so terrible that they cancelled the game, and if they do decide to take another stab at the franchise I hope they can stay a little closer to their roots.

I remember playing the original Prey demo a few years ago, and it hit my list of "wanna play games". When I got my Core 2 Duo in 2007, that was one of the first games played, and somehow, it dropped off in quality when you went beyond the ending in the demo, and I had no interest in playing it a second time through. I loved the Cherokee influence on the game.

What was also notable about the game is that during a Steam sale in 2009, the game was priced at $2.25 and quickly sold out. They were hoping to get more keys, but no. A few days later, the listing was removed.

I remember the original Prey. It was an amazing single player game. Supernatural Cherokee Indian powers, alien portals, Gravity flipping, a biomechanical alien ship with doorways that resembled vaginas, the list goes on.

Not to mention the epic first few levels. The game set the mood as you watch thousands of people go into a literal alien meatgrinder and watch your grandfather die. In the very next sequence you round the corner into your favorite bar (that got sucked up by the alien ship) and aliens have taken it over. You drop into the bar through the ceiling just as Judas Priest's "You got another thing coming" starts blaring over the jukebox.

Some alien, open world bounty hunter bullshit would have had almost zero chance of replicating how awesome the first game was. I thought Prey 2's concept was similar to how Ubisoft took over the Far Cry franchise and fucked it up with Far Cry 2.

Here is a link to it on DToid: http://www.destructoid.com/confirmed-prey-2-has-been-cancelled-283248.phtml

No mention of Arkane being involved in development.

From the article...

After a confirmed 'limbo' status from the developers, leaked emails between those at Bethesda sprang up a year later about Arkane Studios Austin being brought on to revive production. Of course, these rumors were also denied.

Oh well, looks like its definitely dead now. Probably wouldn't have lived up to the hype of its E3 trailer anyway.

I was really looking forward to the game when Human Head Studios (who developed the first one) were making it.

The idea of having it set on the alien homeworld with an open world setting. Having a kind of Blade Runner'ish aesthetic and also having it tied into the original game with Tommy making a return in the game (Though you didn't play him).

I thought this was great, so many game series out there get stuck in this rut of just doing what the previous game did over and over, not enough actually try branching out or doing something drastically different.

Look how that worked out for GTA 2>3, or a few other games that made a leap in terms of gameplay/world design, like the Gabriel Knight games.

I thought the previews looked great and it was one of the games I was really looking forward to.

Then trouble happened, for those that don't know (or remember, when it was revealed).

Bethseda basically tried to strong arm a buyout of the developer. The promised them an extension of 6 months or so to polish the game and finish it up. Then they decided to strate requesting a ton of changes for the game, on top of this they then denied the extension they promised.

All while with the contract HHS wasn't allowed to work on any other project during this time, so they were bleeding money.

They went on strike against Bethseda and refused to sell to them. Bethseda froze out the contract and then after the contract was up HHS went to work on other projects and this is where Bethseda brought in Arkane studios, but they started from scratch and didn't use anything that HHS had developed, so it was likely going to be a very VERY different game then what HHS had so far developed.

Seems that even though it was put in the hands of Arkane studios Bethseda still couldn't decide on what exactly they wanted from this game or series.

One of the things I liked about prey is that Tommy was basically a loser becoming a decent hero. I think the badass syndrome is makes a lot of games feel somewhat repetitive regardless of however sandboxie they might seem. If you cant feel any sympathy let alone empathy for the character your playing as its difficult to enjoy a game and Tommy was a decent dude with a good back story.

One of the things I liked about prey is that Tommy was basically a loser becoming a decent hero. I think the badass syndrome is makes a lot of games feel somewhat repetitive regardless of however sandboxie they might seem. If you cant feel any sympathy let alone empathy for the character your playing as its difficult to enjoy a game and Tommy was a decent dude with a good back story.

Prey is a nice game and arguably underrated and overlooked.

I really was looking forward to this sequel and especially the way some of of the tantalizers suggested it might be.

It's a damned shame. I wanted to see that game.

I really liked the first one. It had a lot of interesting things in it. I especially liked the radio broadcasts you could listen to throughout the game.

Too bad the second one got stuck in development hell. Ah well. Atleast it won't tarnish my memories of the game.

Back