Prime95 and memtest stable, BF2 won't run :confused:

Dr. X

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've been tinkering with my opteron here, just trying for a modest overclock. I have it at 2.4ghz, 1.35 vcore, and it's prime95 stable, and memtest passes no problem. But as soon as I go to play BF2, it drops to the desktop after a few minutes of playtime. If I set everything back to default I can play forever. So what's the deal here? Is BF2 just very sensitive to overclocks? And how can it stress anything more than prime95 and memtest can? I mean, I'm not even at 100% cpu utilization while playing.

I thought that at first too, but I ran the 240 htt with a lower multiplier so the cpu was close to stock and it ran fine. I also used clockgen to see if the PCIe and PCI stayed put and they did.

It sounds video card related, either drivers or hardware. Is your vid card overclocked at all? I have trouble with BF2 when I OC my 6800gs to its max, same results that you are having. Its worth checking into and testing, I dont think its memory or cpu related though.

wee96 said:
It sounds video card related, either drivers or hardware. Is your vid card overclocked at all? I have trouble with BF2 when I OC my 6800gs to its max, same results that you are having. Its worth checking into and testing, I dont think its memory or cpu related though.

No, video card isn't overclocked. It just seems like it has to be the cpu. Right now I'm running at 250 htt with an 8x multiplier so the cpu is stock at 2ghz, but everything else overclocked, and I can play BF2 for hours without problems.

Dr. X said:
So I've been tinkering with my opteron here, just trying for a modest overclock. I have it at 2.4ghz, 1.35 vcore, and it's prime95 stable, and memtest passes no problem. But as soon as I go to play BF2, it drops to the desktop after a few minutes of playtime. If I set everything back to default I can play forever. So what's the deal here? Is BF2 just very sensitive to overclocks? And how can it stress anything more than prime95 and memtest can? I mean, I'm not even at 100% cpu utilization while playing.

same here

24hrs prime stable/memtest and bf2... couldnt take it... it finally stopped for some reason ...some tweaking i ges but idk

The Seasonic psu is pretty good, but I remember reading about some problems with it. Check the 12v rail while running P95.......might have gotten a bum psu?

Back