PrimoChill ICE - opinions

ShiShKaBoB

Gawd
Not sure what I was reading but I thought using some PrimoChill ICE would be a good idea for my first loop. I ordered a shit load (6) 32oz bottles, and it's clear with UV Green dye bomb kits. I have not assembled the system yet but as I have been reading more and more about gunk buildup prone to all premixed solutions I am 1st, leery of using the dye bomb, and 2nd leery of using the PrimoChill ICE at all.

What are your opinions and experiences on PrimoChill ICE, and UV Dye/Buildup/ Effectiveness in cooling over time?

I have no problem returning the fluid and going with some distilled, pt nuke, antifreeze, or whatever coolant is best for mixed metals.

my loop will contain. / Tygon R3400 Black Tubing.
1. EK-Multioption reservoir 250 rev.2 > (Reservoir)
2. Swiftech MCP355 18w w/EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Acetal > (Pump)
3. TFC X360 Rad > (Radiator)
4. Watercool HEATKILLER CPU Rev3.0 1366 LC > (CPU Block)
5. EK-FB KIT for EVGA X58 3SLI (NB/SB) > (North/South Bridge Block) (copper)
6. EK-FB KIT for EVGA X58 3SLI (Mofet) > (Mofet Block) (copper)
7. Swiftech MCR320-QP Rad > (2nd Radiator)
8. EVG Hydro Copper GTX 480 > (GPU Block)
9. 2nd EVG Hydro Copper GTX 480 > (GPU Block)

found this post which states it sucks, but it's from 5 years ago. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=964319

Last edited:
I tried using some of the PC Black in my loop twice. Both times it was completely clear within a couple days. The dye seperated out and and coated the insides of my tubing and some of my blocks, but not all strangely. My experience with colored fluid is, if you want to use it, use Feser fluid. I have used almost all their colors with no problems.

I'm currently using Primochill ICE and have been using it for the last three years.
Originally I got it with blue dye bomb. That was a NIGHTMARE.
I can not stress enough. DO NOT USE the dye bombs. They are the source of ALL the problems.

I used the dye bombs originally, but the coolant would stop glowing after just a few short weeks. I then would add some more... and the same result. After breaking down my system and cleaning it, it was evident that the dye bomb is pigment based. My Apogee GTZ was extremely gunked up.

After cleaning it, I put the rest of my Primochill ICE in without the dye bomb. Haven't had a problem for a year with any buildup or anything else.

Just use distilled and a biocide. If you want pretty colors buy colored tubing.
+1

the few times ive run antifreeze or addatives or any of that color junk, ive gotten large amounts of slime everywhere after a few months. il never waste my money on that stuff again.

Cool, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to after researching all around. PT Nuke seems to be everyone's favorite, any objections?

Also, my loop appears to only contain copper, brass, acrylic, and Acetal

Should I add any anti corrosive agent such as VW/Audio G12, had my friend pick me up a gallon for $15 just in case, but would rather not.

Last edited:
pc ice clear works fine. if you already have a bunch of it, no need to buy even more coolant...

ive been using it almost 5 yrs now without issue. i did run colored pc ice the first time i made a loop. i have only used clear since then due to gunk buildup and cloudy tubing. i see none of these effects with just the clear pc ice.

^^ I second that. If you don't add the dye bombs the fluid will be fine. I would definitely go that route since you already have it.

Back