Printer recommendations

Quadratic

n00b
I'm in the market for an All-in-one type printer. One that can scan, print and copy. Does anyone have experience with the HP and canon multifunction printers? Can you give me tips on what to look for when buying besides ppm and ink costs...

all modern printers have the same high DPI so DPI is not an issue. look for something with nice ppm. and never buy the newest model printer. buy the previous model if you can. most of the time the newer model is just 1-2 ppm faster than the previous generation and is like $50-100 more money.

HP PSC2410 is awesome. I've seen a few in person that friends of mine have.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't need a fast printer. Honestly, I don't print much. The purpose is to get a device that can save space and multifunction. I just moved out so a printer + scanner would take up too much desk space in my smallish room. I'd like to print some images digitally too if someone can't point me to that direction. But I heard that actually taking your digital picturesdeveloped at a camera shop with a colour laser printer gives you better results than any inkjet would.

here is a small all in one. for $50 more you can get a card reader in it here if you need something REALLY small here but this is a pull through scanner, and really dosn't work too well. it does have a built in fax, however, i don't know if you need a fax or not.

that one may be a little too small! LOL

Anyways, I did some checking on my own. I found out Canon has a new multipurpose model out. The mp390. I may go to BestBuy and see it in person.

HP and Epson usually have the best products. I would try and get an all-in-one from one of them instead of Canon. Canon and Lexmark tend to be a little sub par compared to HP and Epson sometimes.

Originally posted by Quadratic
Canon

*shudders*

If it's not an HP or an Epson, don't bother. Canon uses the cheapest, crappiest internals, and their print quality sucks compared to HPs and Epsons. Dig into some reviews of the print heads and such. They use some inferior parts.

*shudders*

Originally posted by SlickJesus
some, SOME! there's the understatement of the year! :p

I'd be willing to go with mostly...or maybe even all inferior parts! The funny thing is people still post back saying how great their Canon printers are. He he...they have the shittiest parts and the print quality blows!

Really? I guess it comes from personal experience. I have owned Epson and HP printers. I had "problems" with them both. The Epson was just an all around horrible printer. The HP's printer ink replacement cost was insane. It printed okay until I had to ditch it because the print head was constantly unaligned (warranty expired).

Got me laughing. We've got HP, Epson and Canon printers. The Epsons fall apart and clog all the time. Up until recently the HP image quality has been sub par. We're printing photos, and I would feel safe to say people know what they're doing here. There is a well known photography school at RIT.

Canon had occaisional problems, and doesn't state the print longevity of Epson, however they print faster and up until the recent Epson printer releases, they printed with greater detail.

I've never seen Canon's fall apart like I have Epsons with continued use. I'd be curious to see what your experience was with the Canons, mine has been rosy.

edit: I haven't used the brandest newest Canons, are they the troublemakers? Is it just the low end printers?

I've used 2 printers ... both canons ... the first one was a BJC240, and now an S600 ... I like them because of the auto-off feature ... first one died after ~3 years of use ... this one I am using for ~2 years ...

See, that's what I was talking about. It's a known fact among photo professionals and industry people that Epson and HP can't be beat for Photo quality output. Do you know why our ink is higher in price? Because we make our own, instead of using the cheaper knock-off shit everyone else uses. BTW, RIT is a pretty big customer of HP products, including photo equipment. We have an office in nearby Fairport, and I know people in that office who handle that account and delivery.

RIT is a big customer, but their smaller printers haven't been as good until recently. I don't know what people you talk to, but Canon hasn't been on the shit list.

I second the vote for the psc 2410. IMO Nice quality, speed, and design. Even the 2110 was/is good and I have bought 3 of them for friends.

Back