problem getting printer to work on network

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Installed a printer to a network machine. small network, like 20 machines. Printer had been active on network before but there was a machine change at this station. So i go in and access thru administrator account, install printer software and go to print. Printer now shows up as active and ready but when i go to print it keeps trying to print to file. so I look in the port area and change the port from print to file port to printer port. It takes just fine and printer shows there as connected to it and such. but then i get an error message now and I cannot print. what else should I do? I am kinda the only guy here and I don't wanna ask the boss just yet :) ;)

thanks

Clarification, please...
#1- It works 100% fine on the machine it is directly attached to?
#2- Assuming #1 is true, what is the error?
#3- Assuming all the above are true, have you shared the printer?
#4- What OS are all the machines running (2000, XP, Vista... Server)?

yeah, I'm gonna need a little more info to help you with this one.

So, the printer was on the network. Was it directly attached to another machine and shared from that machine or is it connected via ethernet and the PC you are trying to share it from is connected to it via tcp/ip port?

Posting the actual error message would also greatly help here.

ok i will hit ya in the morning when i am there and can get all info. on XP though

printer worked through network before, never attached directly to machine.

may be a server configuration thing. like the ip and the address and such. jsut new to me.

thanks I will psot the error in the morning

what type of printer is it as well. I know when i hooked up my Samsung 2251N on xp i needed to install there printer port drivers as well as print drivers and go through a special process to create a port. On Vista, i just type in the IP address and it works.

Back