problem new build bios sees only 4gb out of 6gb of Corsair dd3 1600

grhgorop

n00b
If anybody has any suggestions, my mobo is the asus p6x58d-e, i7 cpu all at stock speeds. My OS is Ubuntu 11.04. Thank you in advance.

im sure you checked to see if you installed the 64bit version instead of 32bit? the ubuntu download site defaults to 32bit..

I used XMP through the BIOS

Put it on standard or normal, whatever it is called in your bios and set the timings manually using what is on the stickers. Test that and see if it works.

Also try each stick individually and in each of the three sockets. A long time ago there were a lot of X58 boards with bad ram sockets. I think this has been worked out but you never know.

i tried every single stick, it posts normally with two, it wont post only with the third one. This means i will have to send back the memory sticks? If i download the latest bios version there will be any difference? Should i also run a memtest in order to verify my stick is problematic? Thank you for your patience

it does sound like the 3rd stick is bad. you should contact the manufacturer, but they will most likely ask for the whole set back if you want to RMA it.

i doubt a bios update will fix it, but you can look at the changelog for the update and see what benefits it has. you should never update your bios without a specific reason to do so.

if the computer wont POST with the bad stick, how do you plan on running memtest?

Back