Problem OCing Q6600.

940guy

Limp Gawd
Hi. This is my setup

Q6600
2x2 Gskill DDR2 1066
Gigabyte DS3L P35
Xigmatek S-1283

Currently I'm running at 3.0ghz. I know these things can go to 3.6ghz or so. Although I don't care if I can't make it to that. I can't ANY thing over 3.0 with out my bios resetting to default.

333x9 at 1.48 volts. The temps are more then fine so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Please provide some screens of CPUz and you're BIOS settings, or post your BIOS settings.

Even without seeing anything I'd recommend giving your FSB, MCH and PCIe all a .1v increase. If it stabilizes then start lowering your vCore it's WAY too high. Also, set your PCIe frequency at 101 manually. And set your DRAM ratio to 2.0 to eliminate the RAM from the mix.

Try that and get back to us. As you can see I have almost the same board and proc.

Holy hell 3.0 at 1.48 volts? That's alot more voltage than you need. Right now I'm at 3.3ghz at 1.39v and I've got a 1.325 VID Q6600.

Please provide some screens of CPUz and you're BIOS settings, or post your BIOS settings.

Even without seeing anything I'd recommend giving your FSB, MCH and PCIe all a .1v increase. If it stabilizes then start lowering your vCore it's WAY too high. Also, set your PCIe frequency at 101 manually. And set your DRAM ratio to 2.0 to eliminate the RAM from the mix.

Try that and get back to us. As you can see I have almost the same board and proc.

Oh wow sorry I meant 1.4v :p

Yes I've done all those things.

I have it stable at 3.2 right now. I think I'll be happy with that.

1.4v is still pretty high for 3.0 ghz oc. I have a 1.2125 vid q6600 oc to 3.2 400x8 1:1 ratio with ram using 1.2875 vcore. What is your VID? if its like 1.35+ you might have to have it at 1.4 but 1.35 seems rare in a g0 step unless you have the b3

Agreed, with some tweaking you should be able to get that vCore down by .5 volts.That would free up some headroom and probably drop your temps a good amount as well.

Oh wow sorry I meant 1.4v :p

Yes I've done all those things.

I have it stable at 3.2 right now. I think I'll be happy with that.

Yeah agreed with those above. 1.4 is where the air cooling starts to run out. 3.2Ghz is usually achieved with 1.35v, sometimes even less.

I think it's bad. I've gotten away with 1.38 vcore to get to 3.6. I could play games at that freq all day, but if I run prime95 temps shoot up in one minute and it's game over. The Zalman heat sink is holding me back. Try 3.2 at 1.28. You probalby just need to tweak your ram timings / ratios.

I think it's bad. I've gotten away with 1.38 vcore to get to 3.6. I could play games at that freq all day, but if I run prime95 temps shoot up in one minute and it's game over. The Zalman heat sink is holding me back. Try 3.2 at 1.28. You probalby just need to tweak your ram timings / ratios.

Not all Q's clock the same at the same voltages. My Q takes 1.34v to reach 3.2, but I can leave it at 1.275 to hit 3.0. Beyond 3.4 it takes an enourmous amount of voltage to hit 3.6.

I'd say 1.35v is average for 3.2Ghz. That average is becoming more standard since most of the recent Q6600's have been shipping with 1.325v VID.

most of the recent Q6600's have been shipping with 1.325v VID.

QFT my fairly new Q6600 was a 1.325 part and I had to go to 1.375 to make anything over 3.2 stable and increases over 1.4 had no effect on a mother board that ran a 6300 at 475 FSB for 2 years. So plenty of so-so chips out there. Hmmm slow today maybe take another stab at 3.6 but I dont hold much hope. Bad luck for me this go round.

QFT my fairly new Q6600 was a 1.325 part and I had to go to 1.375 to make anything over 3.2 stable and increases over 1.4 had no effect on a mother board that ran a 6300 at 475 FSB for 2 years. So plenty of so-so chips out there. Hmmm slow today maybe take another stab at 3.6 but I dont hold much hope. Bad luck for me this go round.

Go for it! It'd be nice if I could run higher than 3.4 on a daily basis, but my trusty SI-128 isn't up to the job of cooling it. But, my surrounding components remain nice and cool due to the downward airflow. I'm wondering if I bump my MCH and FSB voltages up another notch if that would allow me to bring my vcore down just a tad. A tad meaning anything lower than the 1.48v(BIOS) it takes my CPU to hit 3.6Ghz. I always felt kind of scared to go any higher than +.1v on the MCH with Gigabye's less-than-stellar NB cooler on there.

Back