problem with 6.10 on new laptop, help please!

Im having a problem installing Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop. I just got a new Dell E1505 and it has an Intel C2D processor and 2GB of RAM with an ATI mobility X1400. For some reason it just sits at the live cd loading screen and does nothing and then the scrolling bar freezes after you hear the cd drive try to do something. What is up with it? Is there some sort of hardware incompatibility with this thing that I do not know about?

Ok, nevermind I pre-maturely posted this. It was a corrupt CD image for some reason.

WIFI WORKS WITHOUT ANY CONFIG!!!!!

Ok, so is there some problem with Ubuntu 6.10 and new hardware or is it just me? It seems that no matter what I try I can not get 6.10 to install perfectly. 6.06 is the only thing I can get to work for any of my computers. On a lighter note I finally decided just to go with 6.06 LTS for my laptop...I would really like to do 6.10 if possible...

6.10 loaded fine when I tested it on my Dell Latitude D810 and Dell Latitude X1. I wont see they are bleeding edge XPS machines but fairly recent notebooks non the less.

I don't use Ubuntu much but if 6.06 works best ... ;)

Ok...now I'm having issues with XGL/Compiz I'm trying to get it to work but It doesn't seem to want to. I heard that there was a problem with ATI cards and idk since this is my first ATI attempt ever (i always usually have nvidia).

I'm thinking of just re-installing and trying again...not like I will lose anything by doing it...

I refuse to use an ATI card so don't know if that is the root of all evil however I also have never used Compiz but my co-worker has XGL/Compiz working on 6.10 via Dell Optiplex 280 which comes with a X300 PCI-E video card. I guess I am trying to say I have seen this done on an ATI card before.

Which driver are you using for the ATI card. I have an IBM T40 running 6.10+Beryl perfectly. I'm using the 'ati' driver.

For the graphics card I am using the ATI proprietary drivers.

I figured out after contacting dell and running their system tests that its actually a faulty keyboard so that is that.

I can't get the WPA support on the wifi card to work right so I have just decided that in the interest of being able to use it for school this semester that Windows will have to suffice until I have some time that I can actually sit down for a little while and actually mess with it.

Back