problem with certain vista programs not opening

poopy

Limp Gawd
I'm running vista 64 and about twice a week or so certain programs just won't open. Usually after a restart they will work fine. The only program that I have installed is adobe reader, and I have indexing, uac, and defender disabled. Did a virus scan-- nothing. Think this a bug with vista. Does anyone else have this problem?

programs that don't run:
control panel- its window flashes for a split second then closes.
all bundled games with the exception for ink ball.
windows photo gallery
windows meeting space

It's not a 'Vista bug'. It's a problem on YOUR machine. This isn't behaviour which happens on all Vista machines.

I'm sorry, but off the top of my head I can't think what would be causing theis behaviour for you, unless you either have a corrupted install or if you've done some tweaking and disabling of services etc.

If the former you are best off wiping and starting over, being attentive to the various power and hardware issues which can lead to a corrupted install.

If the latter, and you have no record of what tweaks and changes you've made, you're still best off wiping and starting over, this time refraining from fiddling with tweaks unless you understand the full implications of using them.

did you look in the error logs for anything being spit out about these program crashes?

did you look in the error logs for anything being spit out about these program crashes?

I looked in event viewer and problem reports and solutions. Didn't see anything related.

Back