Problem with DVI to component adapter

Waffles730

Limp Gawd
Ok guys, I'm new to this whole HTPC thing and I thought everything was going good. All the hardware is installed and works great except I can't get my DVI-component adapter to put a display on my TV. I have a Geforce FX5500 and a Toshiba TV I am trying to get the display on. It's not a fancy TV, but it has component inputs and should support 480i. I followed the one page of instructions that came with the adapter (not very detailed, basically plug it in and when Windows boots, it will work), but all I get is a bunch of garbled junk flashing away.
What do I need to do to get this working? If someone could point me to a guide if nothing else, that would be great.
Thanks!

Are you using the ATI DVI to component adapter? If you are, and you're not using an ATi 8500 series or higher card, it won't work. I tried it with my Radeon 9250, it didn't work. And it doesn't work with most Nvidia cards that I know of, atleast it wouldn't work with my FX5500, Geforce 6200 or 6600GT cards.

Yeah you're right. I just did a bunch of reading (that I should have done before I bought all this shit). It won't work with Nvidia cards because they don't support Y/Pr/Pb output unless they come with the specific dongle and say they support component. I guess the newer ATI cards to support Y/Pr/Pb output through DVI.

So it looks like I need to RMA some stuff. Yay. :rolleyes:

if its not a HDTV ya might as well run on S-video for 480i. Does your card have that output?

Back