Problem with HTPC through HDMI Receiver

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
I have my HTPC connected through my DG-910 receiver using a DVI-HDMI cable, then the receiver is connected to the HDMI port on the Benq W500 projector we have. The HTPC has a BFG 6800GT (agp) with 163.71 forceware drivers on it. I use RDP to connect to it to administer it sometimes, and before I upgraded the drivers (they were at 93.71 or so) it would "lose" the local display when I connected with RDP. Basically, instead of just showing the "this computer is in use and has been locked" screen, as expected, the local monitor was disabled. Disconnecting from RDP did not solve this, only rebooting. I think upgrading the drivers has fixed this, but I'm not positive. I do know that the other computer I have with a 8400gs in it does not exhibit this behavior at all. It is using the 162.18 drivers, btw.

The remaining problem is that when the computer is first turned on, with the receiver set to its input, all is well. When you switch inputs on the receiver, then back to the computer, you usually get nothing. Sometimes switching inputs back and forth several times lets it sync up, but not always. Unplugging the DVI-HDMI cable from the receiver then reconnecting it did not help. The Xbox 360 Elite that is hooked up on another HDMI input has no problem re-syncing. This is the issue I'm more concerned about, since it basically prevents us from actually using the machine to do anything.

So, questions:
1) Is the local monitor loss issue related to the problems syncing?
2) Is it just the 6800gt not working well with an (HDCP compliant) HDMI receiver?
3) If 1 and/or 2 is true, is there a cheap AGP card that will not exhibit these issues, or should I use this as an excuse to replace it with a computer that can play h264?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, do you have any other HDMI monitors you can test it with, to see if you loose the display from switching from one port to another and back? Any newer firmware available for the receiver? HDCP shouldn't matter, because your not sending the flag from the video card to the receiver.

I have an LG-246 monitor, but it doesn't play nice with the PC through the receiver for some reason. The PC plugged directly in works fine, and the PC plugged in to the projector through the receiver works fine. Probably some issue with the monitor not wanting to do 1920x1080 from a PC input. I'm not sure.

I can try it, though.

Doesn't look like Sony has any new firmware for the receiver, and the FAQ section looks like idiot checks. Given that it works at first, but doesn't resync, I'm leaning towards an issue with the graphics card.

Edit: Tried connecting the monitor through the receiver, nothing. Plugged monitor in directly, nothing. Rebooted computer, came up fine. Unplugged monitor, reconnected it, nothing. I'm leaning towards graphics card issue again... :(

Edit2: reconnected monitor to the other pc, came up fine... either it's the DVI-HDMI cable out there or it's the graphics card. Kind of doubt it is the cable, though...

Edit3: Not the cable. Yay, upgrade time...

Yeah, sounds like. There are some 2400pro and 2600pro agp cards, haven't found any 8x00 series cards in agp yet, but they may be out there.

Back