Problem with Intel SSD 320 Rebate

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
On Black Friday, the 320 series had big rebates. I picked up one of these drives, expecting to get a $70 rebate for it. I got this 80GB Brown Box from Amazon The drive was listed for $140 with a $70 rebate, bringing the final price down to $70. But now that I sent in the rebate, my rebate was denied because the bar code is wrong. This is the rebate I applied for. Now that I look back, it seems like I sent in the wrong rebate, but after I just searched through all of their forms, I can't find any rebate for this SSD.

So what is the problem, did I buy a drive which does not have a rebate through my own error? Or did Amazon advertise a rebate for this drive which never existed? I vividly recall this drive being advertised as '$69.95 after rebate', and I bought it because it was going to be the cheapest one after rebate, so I highly doubt I made the mistake. Do any of you remember seeing this drive for '$69.95' too?

I really don't want to be hosed for $70, so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Amazon ended up refunding me the whole amount of the rebate. Go to post #12 for the email conversation.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
my friend got in on this deal and amazon refunded him $70. send them an email

The same thing happened to Justintoxicated, he bought the 160GB drive and applied for the rebate when the rebate company did not have any rebate for the brown box drive. He must have been mislead by Amazon like me.

If this happened to you, it would be good for you to reply in this thread, then when we call up Amazon we can all refer them to this thread and make it seem more credible.

I'm going to call up Amazon soon.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038115720&postcount=101

I believe this is the correct rebate form.

• $70 - Intel SSD, 80GB capacity in reseller box - (Model:SSDSA2CW080G3K5) (UPC: 00735858216203)
• $80 - Intel SSD, 80GB capacity in retail box - (Model:SSDSA2CW080G3B5) (UPC: 00735858217897)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/17/73/82/49/1773824970._V163507881_.pdf

My link in the OP is broken, but this is the same rebate that I applied for. Thanks anyway.

I seem to remember there being a problem with Amazon overestimating the rebate amount. Maybe this thread from Slickdeals will be of some assistance. There's even a screenshot of the actual sale. Good luck.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3622050-Amazon-Intel-320-80GB-SSD-69-99-AR

I bought the brown box, not the B5 or K5 retail versions. If you find any screenshot showing the brown box on sale it would really help. Thanks anyway.

Wow. Amazon really screwed things up. Newegg and Buy.com both had blazing after rebate sales on the Intel 320, and somehow they managed to get things right. Good luck.

Problem solved. I made a support ticket and told them what happened, I linked them to this thread (though I don't know if they ever opened the link), and they refunded me the same amount as the rebate. I wonder if another retailer would have been so kind if this had happened to me with TigerDirect or NewEgg or someone else.

Anyway, thanks for the company while I dealt with all this. Happy holidays to you all. :)

Problem solved. I made a support ticket and told them what happened, I linked them to this thread (though I don't know if they ever opened the link), and they refunded me the same amount as the rebate. I wonder if another retailer would have been so kind if this had happened to me with TigerDirect or NewEgg or someone else.

Anyway, thanks for the company while I dealt with all this. Happy holidays to you all. :)

Lucky you, when I called amazon they only offered a return and refund :(

I sent the drive back already so I guess it's too late now.

It was going to be the first BF deal I ever got in on :(

Think there is any chance they would sell me a drive less the old rebate? What exactly should I tell them. When I called them the person I spoke to really did not understand what I was telling them and seemed to imply that I purchased the wrong item.

Lucky you, when I called amazon they only offered a return and refund :(

I sent the drive back already so I guess it's too late now.

It was going to be the first BF deal I ever got in on :(

Think there is any chance they would sell me a drive less the old rebate? What exactly should I tell them. When I called them the person I spoke to really did not understand what I was telling them and seemed to imply that I purchased the wrong item.

I will copy/paste the conversation I had by email in a moment. Sorry, I sold the one extra that I had bought, I'm going to put the other one in an E-350 netbook, so I can rocket through M$ Word.

Last edited:
So this is how it went down.

Me said:
Listen to what I am saying, I have a very specific problem, and it is Amazon's fault. I purchased this product on Black Friday because Amazon advertised a $70 rebate for it. But Amazon made a mistake, and there was no rebate for this product, there was only a rebate for a similar model. I only purchased this product because Amazon lied to me and advertised a $70 rebate.

I'm not the only person who is going through this, either. I am a member of a computer hardware forum, and one person commented on Black Friday that the 'Brown Box' models of this product have a rebate for them (but they really don't). Two weeks later, another person wrote that their rebate was rejected because they bought the wrong drive from Amazon (because Amazon lied and advertised a $70 rebate, the same thing that happened to me). Here is the topic that I made where I have documented all of this: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1660154

I bought two of these drives, and I cannot return them because I have already given them as gifts. You guys need to find some way to compensate me, it is not fair that I bought an overpriced product because of your error

Support Representative said:
I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

As the error was on our side, I'm issuing a refund of the promotional value to your credit card. I see that you ordered two quantities of the Intel 320 Series 80 GB SATA 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive Brown Box

I've requested a refund of $140 to your credit card. You'll see the refund on your MasterCard statement in the next 2-3 business days. Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund request here:

Yea I'm guessing since I returned it I'm out of luck. I tried talking to someone on the phone and after describing to them the problem the 3rd time they said "So the reason you are returning is "cheaper price elsewhere".... DOH!

At the time I wasn't even sure the rebate was on the page I ordered from and thought I had screwed up or someone had sent a link to a drive without the rebate. You have confirmed that at one point the rebate was listed on that page and that amazon removed it later (while still leaving it on the page for the other drives). I could not believe I would have ordered an ineligible drive so at least I'm not as stupid as I was thinking I was...

I'm constantly trying to keep space on my 80GB free so this was going to be a much needed upgrade....
I swear trying to maintain freespace on this 80GB drive has taken more time than saved by switching to the SSD some years ago in the first place....

Unlike everyone here, I kind of procrastinated on sending out my rebate. I ordered a 160GB Intel 320 and received a brown box model. I'm assuming I should still go through with my rebate and submit it and if I have any problems, report back to Amazon?

Also another question, I may have misplaced the original box that the SSD came in, but I cannot remember if there was a UPC Barcode label on the box, will this affect my chances of my rebate working (assuming it goes through)? I have everything else completed, just can't seem to find that box :/

Unlike everyone here, I kind of procrastinated on sending out my rebate. I ordered a 160GB Intel 320 and received a brown box model. I'm assuming I should still go through with my rebate and submit it and if I have any problems, report back to Amazon?

Also another question, I may have misplaced the original box that the SSD came in, but I cannot remember if there was a UPC Barcode label on the box, will this affect my chances of my rebate working (assuming it goes through)? I have everything else completed, just can't seem to find that box :/

The BB model does NOT have any rebate. If you bought it on Black Friday send Amazon an email explaining to them that they made an error and they should be held accountable. Use the email that I sent above as a model for yours.

In order to send in a rebate you generally need the UPC not the box itself. You would normally be hosed but in this case since there is no real rebate you are in good shape.

Happy holidays.

Last edited:
The BB model does NOT have any warranty. If you bought it on Black Friday send Amazon an email explaining to them that they made an error and they should be held accountable. Use the email that I sent above as a model for yours.

In order to send in a warranty you generally need the UPC not the box itself. You would normally be hosed but in this case since there is no real warranty you are in good shape.

Happy holidays.

I'm assuming by warranty, you mean rebate? lol

Yes, amazon had a bit of a screw up with those SSD deals back then. Unfortunately, anyone who bought the brown box deal with the rebate is going to have to contact amazon to get the difference refunded.

There was a mistake with the model numbers. The retail was advertised with a $80 rebate, but it was actually the $70 rebate. The brown box was advertised with a $70 rebate, but it had the wrong model number. This is true for both the 80GB and 120GB models.

Anyone who sent in the $80 rebate for the retail 120 or 80GB SSD are also going to get denied and have to contact the rebate center.

I picked up on the rebate issue the day I ordered and had amazon refund me the $10 difference in rebate price and then I sent in the $70 rebate for the retail drive. All worked out that way for me.

Back