Problem with My Comcast Cable

lov3rboy408

Limp Gawd
i recently order comcast cable and all activated, this is really weird.. it's work for my laptop i can go on internet fine, but it's won't connect to my DESKTOP PC?, i replace new LAN MODEM and it's still doesn't connect..

my desktop is Compaq P.3 very old 1

Are you using any kind of Router? A D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, etc?

If you are just plugging in the cable directly from the Comcast Cable modem to your laptop, when you switch the cable over to your desktop you have to turn off the cable modem and leave it off for about 1 minute. Then plug it back in and you should be able to get internet on your desktop.

If it doesn't work then do a quick reboot and try again.

Did you reset the modem after you unplugged it from the laptop? When you change what device is hooked up to the modem you need to reset it.

yeah, i reset the modem and restart the computer and it's won't connect to the internet..
i look at the network icon, its said cable unplug, than 2 or 3 second it pop up said cable is plug, than 3 second after it's said cable is unplug and plug and unplug and plug...????? i even replace new LAN PORT and still same issue,, ?/ help me out plese???

Have you tried a different cable? Sounds like it could be a bad cable. If it's not the cable try moving the nic to a different pci slot.

i bring the PC to my friend house, and he have DSL, i plug it in and working FINE??? but it's won't work for cable..

Have you tried a different ethernet cable from the cable modem to the pc?

You need to unpower your modem for several minutes so it forgets the MAC address of the prior device it was connected to.

If you have their VoIP package..you'll have an Arris MTA instead of a Motorola modem...and you'll also need to pull out the battery from underneath when you unpower it..else it will keep juice and won't "forget" the MAC.

Power up modem after say 5 minutes..let it synch..and then release/renew your new computer on it.

But seriously..get a router..keep things simple..and protect your computers by being behind the NAT hardware firewall. Plugging your PC directly into a cable modem..your PC gets a public IP address..and is open to the "junk" that spreads around the internet, worms, trojans, etc.

Back