Problem with new system, please help.

ToastyBoy

n00b
Hi,
A friend just built a new system and we can’t figure out what’s wrong with it. From the first boot and throughout the loading of XP, the graphics have been screwed up. In the beginning of the boot process there are hyphens all over the screen and once windows loads the graphics are still not right. When I try to install the nvidia drivers, it gets about half way done and the system reboots.
Oh, the system specs are : Intel D865gbf, P4 3.0, gainward 6800GT GS, 2x512 PC3700 mem, 160GB sata drive, and a generic 450watt PSU.
I’m was pretty sure its just a bad graphics card because his system works fine with the
onboard graphics and when I tried putting his card in my system it didn’t work at all. (screen was totally black). But then there’s some other strange things I noticed that make me wonder if he could also have a problem with his motherboard or PSU. Like I noticed that both of his 3pin case fans were only spinning at like 400 rpms according to the intel system monitor. Also, when I put my old 9800Pro in his system, I had to unplug one of the 3pin fans so I could hook up its vantec iceberq4 cooler. When I booted, it was fine for like 5 seconds and then the iceberq fan slowed so far down that the led looked like it was blinking. The graphics looked normal, but the GPU was getting really hot so I shut it down. All of the voltages look ok. Any ideas why the onboard fan connectors wouldn’t be getting enough juice? Thanks.

Well, it sounds like you do have a bad videocard, if you bought it locally you can always return and exchange for another. As for your Iceberg4 Cooler, don't connect it to the motherboard fan connector, since they are temp control by motherboard, not your videocard.
the cooler should either come with a 3pin to 4pin molex adapter so you can connnect it directly to power supply. Or better yet just go into your bios and enable "fan always on at full speed" Most Intel motherboard have that option. Also for your generic PSU, you might want to invest a little and get a name brand PSU, you will be better off in the long run.

Hi,

I would seriously consider trying another power supply. The problems you describe with corrupt graphics during boot and OS load sounds just like when I put my 9500 Pro on a molex together with some other stuff. In my case the problem went away when I put my VC on its own cable from the PSU. 450 W sounds good but from what I have seen on this board a good brand name seems more important than high wattage.

Good luck
Johan

Thanks for the responses. The place he bought it still has stock so he's gonna RMA it. I guessing his PSU is ok after all.....the fan speed problem was in the bios like jonavin suggested. And since we have the same card, his should have worked in my system.

Back