Problem with new WD 1TB EADS

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
I just received a new WD 1TB EADS drive from Dell. Put it in, connected all the cables, and started to format with Disk Management in Windows XP. It takes 5 hours, gets to 100%, and displays the following message: The format did not complete successfully.

I then tried Western Digital's DataLifeguard Tools (it does a quick format), restart the computer, double-click the icon, and it says "Your drive is not formatted. Would you like to format it?"

I tried the Windows format again. Same result: goes to 100%, and then says unsuccessful. Did I receive a defective/damaged drive?

Anything that you know of that I can do to fix this? Thanks.

DOA for sure. same thing happened to both 1.5tb seagate drives i ordered. ironically, i replaced it with the 1tb eads which works fine

I guess I'll have to go through the RMA. This is the first bad drive I've ever received. Not sure what happens...I just can't format the partition with anything. The drive seemed to be well packaged and has a very recent manufacture date of Jan 09, 2009.

Has anyone tried WD's advance exchange (where they send you a new drive before you send the old) versus the standard exchange? Any ideas on which I should choose?

I've used WD's advance exchange once back in 07, got the new drive in 2 days so I was pretty happy.

I guess I'll have to go through the RMA. This is the first bad drive I've ever received. Not sure what happens...I just can't format the partition with anything. The drive seemed to be well packaged and has a very recent manufacture date of Jan 09, 2009.

Has anyone tried WD's advance exchange (where they send you a new drive before you send the old) versus the standard exchange? Any ideas on which I should choose?

I've used the advance exchange before, and it worked well. Got my new drive quickly.

Another question: Does Western Digital pay for the return shipping, or do you have to pay out-of-pocket to ship the bad drive back?

I just tried to reformat (again) using Western Digital Diagnostic Tools. It says "success" and when I go to the drive Windows just tells me that it is unformatted and is a RAW drive. Windows quick format will not format it and Seagate SeaTools reveals some sector errors.

Screw the RMA, bark up Dell's tree and see if you can get another full replacement.

Screw the RMA, bark up Dell's tree and see if you can get another full replacement.

The problem with that is that it would probably take longer and I would have to send the item back before receiving a new one. Not to mention Dell's restocking fees and the possibility that they won't refund shipping.

Just saw this caveat on WD's RMA website:

"The cost of sending a drive to the returns service center for warranty service (also known as the return shipping cost), is paid by the customer. Western Digital pays for the return shipment (except for some Latin American countries)."

I don't understand why a customer would have to pay to return a defective product...

The problem with that is that it would probably take longer and I would have to send the item back before receiving a new one. Not to mention Dell's restocking fees and the possibility that they won't refund shipping.

Have you worked with dell before?

They overnighted (AM) my 30" monitor at a rate of $193 at thier cost (not to mention, they paid return shipping too). Dell can do amazing things when it comes to defective products. You just have to bark up the right tree.

They overnighted (AM) my 30" monitor at a rate of $193 at thier cost (not to mention, they paid return shipping too). Dell can do amazing things when it comes to defective products. You just have to bark up the right tree.

Thanks for the heads up. Never RMA'ed with Dell before but I'll do it right now. Will try to get a replacement from them. Do they ship the new item after they receive the defective one?

Jan 9th was a friday...you know what they say about stuff made on a friday...

I have used the prepay drive return for an RMA...I liked it....

I think soaking the hard drive in oatmeal will work as well and when it does work, it works faster. :)

Great! :D

Do your RMA with Dell. They can be quick and you will get a new drive.

BTW, I second that oatmeal emotion.

Great! :D

Do your RMA with Dell. They can be quick and you will get a new drive.

BTW, I second that oatmeal emotion.

Actually, after speaking with a Dell rep, they said that they can only refund the money (less shipping and handling) and cannot replace the drive as that is a separate department. They told me I can reorder the drive as a separate purchase.

Actually, after speaking with a Dell rep, they said that they can only refund the money (less shipping and handling) and cannot replace the drive as that is a separate department. They told me I can reorder the drive as a separate purchase.

Learn something new everyday.

I bought a Raptor from them and decided to send it back. They sent me a link for a pre-paid UPS label and away it went. No muss, no fuss.

It must be different for defective/RMA items.

Thanks for the heads-up!

how do you know Dell's cost for shipping? ;)

Back