Problem with POST hanging - AN8

I have a new Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi which freezes during sata drive detection in POST - but only on restart from windows. Turning my PC on, it boots fine. BIOS is updated (1.8), so what could be causing it?

Specs are.. 3200+, 1GB pc400, 7800GT

Might be worth noting I also had problems with my usb keyboard in DOS, while trying to update the bios. Even after enabling support in the bios, the keyboard just didn't work in DOS. I had to use a PS/2 one. Probably unrelated, but you never know...

I don't know much about SATA nor do I know if this will help at all but...

I've heard that SATA is really sensitive. If you reboot and shut down and all that a lot the drives/connections tend to fail.

But again, I don't know much about SATA. I would just check all the connections.

And on the keyboard not working. Look in your BIOS. There will be an option to "enable legacy USB" or "legacy USB keyboard." That will allow you to use your keyboard in DOS.

Bump.

Also no, shutting down does not cause drives to fail. And as I said, I already enabled legacy USB. I think that's a totally seperate issue though.

Does nobody have an idea why it's hanging on restart? Anything drive-related makes me edgy.

although i have an asus a8n-sli premium i have a similar problem... i have 4 sata drives, 3 being HD's... post would hang, or if it did get past it, a drive wouldnt get detected and windows boot would give me machine_check_exception error. after trying many things i thought of changing the sata port that one hd was failing on and so far things seem ok. i dont know if this was a fluke or not as my pc would go weeks sometimes without this prob. not sure if that helps or not :confused:

I moved them from 1+2 to 3+4, didn't work. But moving to 1+3, so they're using different controllers(according to the bios) does seem to be working.

However, I now think the controller(s) are faulty. One of my drives is occasionally making the most bizarre noise. Better back up.

after i made that post i started having the same prob again...i noticed the cables didnt make a snug connection on the motherboard so I yanked all the cables and found the plastic on the ends were somewhat bent... replaced all my sata cables and thinks seem to be going ok now...i think i want to buy some higher end cables because the ones provided with the mobo are pretty flimsy

Back