Problem with Sony DVD writer

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased a DVD writer, the Sony DW-Q30A BK and some Fujifilm DVD+R. I can read any cd or dvd but when I pop in one of my DVD+Rs Windows recognizes the disc as a blank cd and not a blank DVD. I have Windows updated and it reads CD-Rs as blank CDs.

Any idea what the problem is? Could it be incompatible media? Or is it something wrong with Windows? Please help

thanks

Yes I do, I was trying to use Nero Ultra to burn a data DVD. Nero recognizes it as a DVD+R but says there is not enough space to write the data.

magnusvir said:
Yes I do, I was trying to use Nero Ultra to burn a data DVD. Nero recognizes it as a DVD+R but says there is not enough space to write the data.
Try reducing the data size to about 4400MB or so?

Make sure you have Nero set to burn DVDs. There should be a drop-down menu of some sorts that asks for which burner you want to use, right on the screen where you choose what type of disc you want to burn. In the choices there is probably something that looks like:

Image Recorder [DVD]
Image Recorder [CD-R/RW]
Sony DW-Q30A BK [DVD]
Sony DW-Q30A BK [CD-R/RW]

From my experience, Nero tends to default to <Your Disc Writer Name/Model> [CD-R/RW], regardless of whether your drive is a pure CD-R/RW drive or a combo DVD/CD writer drive.

Make sure you have Sony DW-Q30A BK [DVD] selected and not Sony DW-Q30A BK [CD-R/RW] selected, otherwise Nero will try to burn a CD with CD sizes in mind even if you choose to burn a DVD data disc.

Back