Problem with Vantec Nexus fan and light controller

Biggrich76

Limp Gawd
I bought the NXP-305 about a year ago to control my fans and cathodes. The cathode control knob has basically 3 settings: off, sound activated, full on

Pics from Newegg

I usually always leave it in the full on position but recently it has been acting up. When I power up my computer, the lights will stay on for about 30 minutes or so ... and then somehow go into sound activated mode even though the switch is still set to full on.

The lights will flash from time to time and go from full on to sound activated at random. Turing the knob does nothing except allow me to shut the lights off completely. At first I thought my power supply was crapping out or not producing enough juice for my system so I switched out the PSU with a working one from another system and I'm getting the same problem.

Has anyone had a similar experience with one of these? Is there anyhting I can do to fix it without having to install new converter boxes and a seperate switch?

It's a defect in the converter for the ccfl. It tends to over heat. I had one to a long while back when they first came out. I thought by now they would of corrected the defect but I guess not.

That would explain it ... I guess I can put an 80mm fan on it to actively cool the panel since it's open. I think that should probably fix the problem if it is in fact overheating. I will let you know if it works.

Back