problems starting think its a mobo

dbu8554

Supreme [H]ardness
computer is a gateway 831gm replaced the power supply last year when it was given to me and put in a 9600gts about 3 months ago.

anyways for a while now when the PC is turned completely off when i try to power it back up i press the start button and the lights and fans click on for one second then off again, wtf right so i hold the button then the lights and fans keep shutting on and off over and over again before if i just play with the button a few times it would kick on not today.

normally i never shut it down but my other family members do sometimes.

anyways i tried a different power supply, took the 9600 out and put in a new switch none of it worked.

i will now try to explain exactly what it seems like when trying to turn it on

press power button in for just a split second power lights and fans come on for a split second and you can hear the speakers do what they do when you turn a PC on..

hold the button in for any amount of time and all of the systems for the computer cycle the fans lights all that shit comes on and off really fast like switching a light switch on the wall back and forth real fast.

anyone got any idea's need help ASAP as its my main i am on a AMD 800 machine right now and its not really cutting it when it comes to looking for answers thanks alot guys

I had a HP a few years ago that done something similar until eventually it wouldnt power up at all.

Now this may not be your trouble, but something to look at.

On that PC, the issue was the power switch itself.

Have you checked that the switch itself is connected firmly as it should be , and not a wire coming off, or grounding out?

tried a different switch and it didnt do a thing same issue gonna try to jump it right now

Go in order of this.

Power supply itself:
Test the power supply separate from the chassis, http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm by putting a jumper wire between pin 14 and pin 15 on your ATX connector. Power supply should remain on while wire is in place shorted across the pins, and turn off at the moment the wire is removed.

Power Switch:
If you have a multimeter, you can check the continuity of your power switch on your case; if no meter readily available, then you can put the switch across pins 14 and 15 if you got some extra wire to jump the switch to the two pins, hold the switch in and the PSU should turn on (this is just like the jumper in place --shorted) until you release the switch (jumper is out place -- no longer shorted).

Motherboard:
I hate to say this if you get to this stage, pull EVERYTHING off the board, check the boards mounting and clean out the case as required of all dust and debris. Try and power up the computer with just the power switch and the PSU hooked up to the motherboard, if you want to hear beeps, then connect the PC speaker as well. If it powers up and stays up, you got a bad component, or there was something in the case shorting the board to ground, causing the power supply's over current protection trip to kick in. Start plugging in components one by one starting with the video card (commonly they go bad first), and go from there, you may not find the culprit and wind up with the system working again. My own computer has a problem with it's ATI 9800 and the AGP slot (this is a little known problem with ATI cards), there is about a millimeter or two of errors between their placement and that is enough to cause my computer to not repost, I usually loosen the case screw for the card, jiggle it in the slot and push down a little harder on the rear top end of the card and tighten the case screw, and my computer works.

alright i went out there removed the modem dont even know why that was in there, took out the 9600 unplugged the power to my DVD burner and unplugged the HD and it finnaly stopped cycling.

i plugged in the HD and i it worked again, plug in the DVD burner nothing no power even WTF?

So i unplug the DVD burner it works but then i turn the PC off again and goto start it one more time this time nothing happens so I futz around with some stuff unplugging and replugging. and NOW

the computer when the switch on the back of the power supply is in the on position the computer without any input from me cycles its self over and over so i turn it off scratch head unplug shit again and reboot same thing as soon as the switch on the back is flipped the thing boots on its own I unplugged the switch and it does not seem to effect it at all..

so i switch it off again and try to reboot this time I get no power at all nothing, wtf i say i plug it in directly to the wall and it powers up but its cycling its own power over and over again you guys got any thoughts on this?

Your power supply is shot.
Happens with new builds that don't have enough power.

call my tech support company. here is a pic of the reps and you can choose which one you want to come to your house. Just make sure you ask for "extra anchovies"

Replaced power supply and still not working guess its not a PSU eh guys?

Back