problems with a 6800gt

|Leviathan|

Limp Gawd
My friend has just assemble a computer

Medium budget AMD 3500+ /1Gb ram /Asus A8V-X /Msi 6800gt

Everything works fine in windows, but when he starts a game after the initial credits and video, only a blank screen is outputted.
the game is still running becasue he can listen to the background music, and when he moves the mouse he sometimes passes on a button with makes a sound or beep etc

what do you think is the problem?

is it the video card or some kind of software issue?

all drivers are uptodate and windows is completel uptodate too
this happens on each of the games that we tested [cod2/half life 2/black and white/fear] apart from one old demo of delta force warriors (2001, not sure of the exact name too)

your help is much appreciated

thanks

|Leviathan| said:
My friend has just assemble a computer

Medium budget AMD 3500+ /1Gb ram /Asus A8V-X /Msi 6800gt

Everything works fine in windows, but when he starts a game after the initial credits and video, only a blank screen is outputted.
the game is still running becasue he can listen to the background music, and when he moves the mouse he sometimes passes on a button with makes a sound or beep etc

what do you think is the problem?

is it the video card or some kind of software issue?

all drivers are uptodate and windows is completel uptodate too
this happens on each of the games that we tested [cod2/half life 2/black and white/fear] apart from one old demo of delta force warriors (2001, not sure of the exact name too)

your help is much appreciated

thanks

All the games you mentioned are DirectX games. Tell your friend to check if he has DirectX 9.0c installed.
Also, tell him to run some Open GL games, such as Doom 3 and see what happens.

total shot in the dark but the one time I had something similar to your experience - it ended up being a firewall / antivirus program (don't remember which) that would popup unknowingly 'behind' the game once the game actually got past the intro and was about to go into menu.

can you minimize the game window to see if there are any open tasks / programs / popup windows?

nope no firewall windows, we turned off the firewall completely just to be sure

currently installing doom 3

doom3 is failing to install. somehow the 3rd cd is damaged

is there any other way how i can test open gl?

and any other suggestions please?

you do have the nvidia drivers installed an not just the windows driver.... right?

update your driuves to newest if you do have them installed

of course 91.31 are installed, i'll tell him to install 91.47 but i guess it wouldn't do that much of a difference

another thing, as i mentioned previously he installed a demo of 'delta force land warrior'

the game loaded up without any problems, but when he starts the game all that could be seen were distorted images sort of, and all object (people pyramids etc) were gone (compared to how it ran fine on another system)

tried them everything worked fine with no problems at all

i will instruct him to run prime 95 overnight now, just in case ram is faulty

but at this stage what do you think is the problem?

could it be the card? although it is quite improbable since it works fine everywere except for games, and since the computer doesnt crush or anything

or could it be some sort of ram fk up?

cpu / mobo?

stormshadow said:

Are you sure the power supply you are using is sufficient? I think you need at least a 350w power supply for the 6800gt. The more the merrier.

Ub3rn00b said:
Are you sure the power supply you are using is sufficient? I think you need at least a 350w power supply for the 6800gt. The more the merrier.
the rig is powered by a 450w psu, should be enough i guess

but again this is the psu that arrived with the case maybe it is not efficient enough?

i'll try with another psu, but i'll have to get my hands on one first, in the mean time what do you think?

i will try with a gefroce 4 and check what happens too

|Leviathan| said:
... but again this is the psu that arrived with the case maybe it is not efficient enough?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Queue Psycho shower scene music.

My guess is bad psu. Prime95 may make it pop, possibly taking half your components with it.

FTR- cheap cases with their own power supplies suck to the third power, S^3

yevaud said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Queue Psycho shower scene music.

My guess is bad psu. Prime95 may make it pop, possibly taking half your components with it.

FTR- cheap cases with their own power supplies suck to the third power, S^3

QFT get a new PSU

mkay~ i'll change the psu asap

any other suggestions? so that i do everything in 1 go [since its not mine..]

**Update**

I tried my own videocard + an additional geforce4 on his system > problem not solved

I tried my own ram on his system > problem not solved

At this stage i thought that there was something wrong with his installation, even after we re-installed windows for a couple of times so >

I attached my own hard disk on his system > problem not solved, when i tried to run even for example pro evolution soccer [which doens't rely as much on gpu as other game] just a blank screen

For testing sake, i connected his hard disk to my system > and finaly an error came up [which i will post when his system is back and running] and the game didn't load up at all

Well the only things that remain are:

>CPU
>Mobo
>Some kind of software issue

Please help this is begining to become quite frustrating

Ps: We left prime 95 running over 12hrs and no errors were reported ...
PS: we installed another demo game 'Team Arena Demo' just to check between a full game and a demo... this worked simply fine, no blank screens and fluent gameplay

thanks again for your help!

There was a big problem about a year ago with an update patch in EQ2. The problem was that it didn't mesh with the nvidia chipset drivers. EQ2 forums were flooded with reports, but only from users with nforce motherboards. The solution ended up being to install the nforce drivers, and then install the nforce drivers. You had to do it twice, back to back.

upriverpaddler said:
There was a big problem about a year ago with an update patch in EQ2. The problem was that it didn't mesh with the nvidia chipset drivers. EQ2 forums were flooded with reports, but only from users with nforce motherboards. The solution ended up being to install the nforce drivers, and then install the nforce drivers. You had to do it twice, back to back.
is it safe to install nforce drivers on a via chipset?

i've got nothing to lose in any case but just want to make sure just in case

Back