Problems with Component on 2405fpw

vmaddogv

Weaksauce
I have connected my PS2 to the 2405, the games come up fine and the first DVD i put in came up fine, but seems like 90% of my DVDs will not play. It will show this horrible picture, flash from black screen to blue screen, then say "no imput detected". I dont understand why some DVDs will play but most will not. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have tried two diff. PS2s. Can anyone help?

Confirmed! I have the exact same issue, tested on two different DVD players. However, it only seems to happen with some DVDs - in particular, two cartoon DVDs (Happy Tree Friends v1 and Wallace And Gromit) work fine in component. And the "start screens" of the DVD players work fine too, as does S-Video. I've also verified that cable HDTV component out works, which other people have mentioned too.

My current hypothesis is that there's a sync issue at the middle resolutions - ie, greater than 480i but less than 1080i

Well the PS2 is outputing at 480i. It just doesnt make sense that some work and some dont.

Bugster said:
would this DVD player work better? It is supposed to "upgrades picture quality from 480p/576p or 1080i resolution."

and has the following inputs
Digital interface: DVI
Component out: x1
S-Video out: x1
Composite Video out: x1
Audio out(L/R): x1
6 Discrete 5.1 ch. Audio out: x1
Digital audio out - Coaxial: x1
Digital audio out - Optical: x1

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11008533&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

Not sure if it is DVD players problem. May be the monitors problem... looks like i may be sending this bad boy back to dell. If component is not going to work, i dont want it. The whole reason that sold me on this monitor was the component. Any one else with the problem>?

This is really making me MAD. I have only like 2 DVDs that work on this monitor.

I am unable to get my 2405fpw up to 1080i or 480p when the source is a PS2 via component cables. The game indicates its 480p or 1080i, it will switch to the resolution, let me select 'ok', but then the monitor will revert back to 480i. This is verified by bringing up the OSD where the monitor displays the resolution/refresh rate.

sounds like im not alone?

anyone contacted dell yet?

It's probably also worth noting that with my DVD player (Samsung DVD-HD841) the DVI output doesn't work either. In fact, none of the video outputs work reliably on the 2405, if at all. S-Video and composite don't worth either! And I know s-video works because I've used it with two separate TVs just fine.

I'm sort of torn on the issue. On the one hand, this sort of behavior is inexcusable and easily worth a return. OTOH, I get far better DVD playback results through the comp, and all indications point to HDTV working just fine. OTOH, this puts a severe crimp in any plans to hook a console up to it.

Has anybody else given s-video a shot?

EDIT: Bugster, I have that exact model and I'm obviously having more than my fair share of issues. It also burns me up a bit that I paid $200 for it last november at best buy :mad: My fault I guess.

I'm having a small problem with component on XBox with the monitor. On static images, especially on text, the image...buzzes...twice a second or so. Basically, the outlines of the letters get fuzzy.

However, during actual gameplay, I don't notice the effect, even when I'm looking for it. So, it is basically a minor irritant at worst. Anyone else have this problem?

I had problems with my ReplayTV and the component video connections... I switched the output to progressive on the ReplayTV and now it works great. Just FYI. I don't know if there are settings on most progressive scan dvd players to output an interlaced image and vice versa. I think there is a setting for progressive output on the Xbox though. So Puter03.. if you haven't tried this setting.. you should try it out.

Bugster said:
would this DVD player work better? It is supposed to "upgrades picture quality from 480p/576p or 1080i resolution."

and has the following inputs
Digital interface: DVI
Component out: x1
S-Video out: x1
Composite Video out: x1
Audio out(L/R): x1
6 Discrete 5.1 ch. Audio out: x1
Digital audio out - Coaxial: x1
Digital audio out - Optical: x1

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11008533&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

From what I understand..(in regards to the new scaling dvd players) you can only scale with the dvi output. So.. since the 2405 only has options for component video.. you won't use the scaling feature..

Back