problems with the 360 already

You only ever hear the squeaky wheel, there were 9700 X360 shipped out from the american mountain dew contest alone. There have been maybe a dozen people on the web complaining of this...? It seems to be a small problem, but still a problem none-the-less.

I read the threads, and I saw that some of the people with the defective hardware are tossing them in the freezer because they think it's a heat issue. Won't this just cause condensation? Sounds like an easy out for Pepsi..."Sorry dude, you threw your xbox in the freezer...better luck next time."

oneils said:
I read the threads, and I saw that some of the people with the defective hardware are tossing them in the freezer because they think it's a heat issue. Won't this just cause condensation? Sounds like an easy out for Pepsi..."Sorry dude, you threw your xbox in the freezer...better luck next time."

How in gods name would they know if they put it in the freezer???

oneils said:

could be. The amount of thermal compound pictured in the anandtech article looked terrible.

How in gods name would they know if they put it in the freezer???
I figure they might be stupid enough to mention to MS' support staff..."I put the box in the freezer and worked for about 10 minutes after that...and then quit on me again...could it be overheating!" who knows...I use to work retail...and people admit to stupid things sometimes (for instance, I worked in a fish market for two years...a couple bought about 12 lobster...couple came back and said they died on them...they wanted their money back. I asked: how did you store them? They replied: we filled up the tub with water and put them in. Well they didin't get their money back...if you're going to store lobster in water - it has to be salt water kept at 32 degrees - not fresh water at room temperature).

Meh... New products launches with big ticket items are always like this. Has there ever been a manufactured good with 0.0% failure rate? Maybe aircraft get close to that...

deathBOB said:
Meh... New products launches with big ticket items are always like this. Has there ever been a manufactured good with 0.0% failure rate? Maybe aircraft get close to that...

in my experiance nintendo has been relatively trouble free, as well as sega (when they made hw)

Doesn't sound like its a hardware problem per say, more like a shipping problem. He said he could hear something moving around, and I bet the heat sink got broken loose in shipping, which is causing it to over heat. Darn shipping employees need to stop treating packages like they are all pillows, lol.

Xipher said:
Doesn't sound like its a hardware problem per say, more like a shipping problem. He said he could hear something moving around, and I bet the heat sink got broken loose in shipping, which is causing it to over heat. Darn shipping employees need to stop treating packages like they are all pillows, lol.
what sucks is if that is the case it would be relatively simple to open it up and put the heatsink back on, except for the fact that once you open it up you lose your warranty. So instead of possibly fixing it yourself in an hour or so, you have to wait a couple of weeks to have MS fix it.

Xipher said:
That would be a design problem if an item that needs to be shipped can't withstand the shipping process. And I don't think they're being physically damaged by third parties.

Erasmus354 said:
what sucks is if that is the case it would be relatively simple to open it up and put the heatsink back on, except for the fact that once you open it up you lose your warranty. So instead of possibly fixing it yourself in an hour or so, you have to wait a couple of weeks to have MS fix it.
Yep, and you'll need that warranty once you indubitably encounter dozens more problems with the machine.

pr0pensity said:
Yep, and you'll need that warranty once you indubitably encounter dozens more problems with the machine.

Perhaps, but lets not try and turn this into a flame microsoft thread, console wars are annoying and pointless

sabrewolf732 said:
in my experiance nintendo has been relatively trouble free, as well as sega (when they made hw)

Did you have widespread internet message boards to instantly notify everyone of problems back then? Nowadays it only takes a few messages and we have threads like this pop up.

pr0pensity said:

It like any computer is bound to have something go wrong in time....
I've managed to get mine to lock up a few times...
Nothing major, only in the Dashboard, never in a game..

Also, It does get hot as hell out the back of it in short order..
The system can be on for less than 5 minutes, and you can barely touch the damn thing it gets so hot.

Makes the whole thing a little un-ideal for inside a media cabinet or to be set on carpet...
You're probably right to some extent.... But oh well, deal with it as it happens.

sabrewolf732 said:

Sorry, the Gamecube had problems with optics, I used to handle the warranty work for the SNES, N64, GC. The GC had a pretty decent failure rate. With some customers I had to RMA them up to 3 times before they got one that would last. It maybe was just under the amount of failure rate of the first generation of the PS2.

I never handled Sega so i can't say anything on them.

deathBOB said:
Did you have widespread internet message boards to instantly notify everyone of problems back then? Nowadays it only takes a few messages and we have threads like this pop up.

um yeah with the dc.

RogueTrip said:
Sorry, the Gamecube had problems with optics, I used to handle the warranty work for the SNES, N64, GC. The GC had a pretty decent failure rate. With some customers I had to RMA them up to 3 times before they got one that would last. It maybe was just under the amount of failure rate of the first generation of the PS2.

I never handled Sega so i can't say anything on them.

Really, odd? Most stores say the opposite that the gc was the most trouble free.

If you get a defective box can you get your $$ back? I've got one waiting for me,hopefully lol, tuesday and kinda want it to be bad so I can forget about it and get the 700 dollars back I spent on games and accessories w/ the premium sys.

yeah i work at best buy and our 360 has about twelve different problems right now.

granted, its probably abused more than we will ever know... but still...

its quite heartbreaking :'(

sabrewolf732 said:

I'm not sure about that one...

Wasn't there a widespread problem where Gamecubes would crack because the plastic was very "cheap"? I heard this somewhere when they were first being released. I also remember some sort of class action lawsuit against them. I dunno, I could be wrong.

Adam.

pr0pensity said:
That would be a design problem if an item that needs to be shipped can't withstand the shipping process. And I don't think they're being physically damaged by third parties.

I wouldn't assume that, because you havn't seen what UPS, DHL, Fedex, and USPS has done to my packages. Sometimes, you just can't design anything to handle the kind of abuse those companies dish out. I used to have a friend that worked for UPS and he will tell you all about it.

Yeah, shipping companies are horrible at handling things...

When I was at HP I was on the phone with a customer when he was recieving a replacement computer (his was a lemon and I replaced it), and the Fed-Ex guy dropped the new desktop out of the back of the truck (fell about 6 ft), and broke open the box. I had the Fed-Ex delivery guy get on the phone and give me an official report and then told the customer to refuse the shippment.

Back on topic: Hopefully this is a minor set of 360's. I feel sorry for anyone who has a defective one.

I like how every problem with a Microsoft product is the fault of Bill Gates.

Wondernerd said:
I like how every problem with a Microsoft product is the fault of Bill Gates.
It's no different than every problem in the U.S. being the president's fault.
People want some one else to blame and their name is in lights, so...

So, out of 10k units, a handful are suffering from defects and some people are claiming that this is representative of widespread product defect and manufacturing errors? ROFL. Funny stuff.

adam7488 said:
I'm not sure about that one...

Wasn't there a widespread problem where Gamecubes would crack because the plastic was very "cheap"? I heard this somewhere when they were first being released. I also remember some sort of class action lawsuit against them. I dunno, I could be wrong.

Adam.

The gamecube has no widespread laser or cracking issues, at all. The problems for the GC system are small, even compared to the XBox, as they are built like rocks. I saw this TV program once where they decided to drop this gen's consoles from a building! The PS2 broke and was inoperable from the first floor. The XBox crapped out on the 3rd floor, and the Gamecube made it the whole 10-ish stories - though the lid had to be forced closed, it still worked and played fine. This may sound pointless to you, but it's mentioned to convey a sense that despite their cheap-ass price, they're very solid-made. Problems (as with ANYTHING) do exist, but they are extremely isolated.

And that, is what I think, is happening with these XBox 360's. I don't suspect that the issue will not be nearly as bad as the PS2's. However, consider that yes, the squeaky wheels do make the most noise, as in this case... however, at this moment there certainly isn't too many squeaky wheels with XBox 360s. So instead of the ratio of bad to good systems being something like 1/100000, it's 1/500? (500=how many consumers could possibly have a system by now).

steviep said:
The gamecube has no widespread laser or cracking issues, at all. The problems for the GC system are small, even compared to the XBox, as they are built like rocks. I saw this TV program once where they decided to drop this gen's consoles from a building! The PS2 broke and was inoperable from the first floor. The XBox crapped out on the 3rd floor, and the Gamecube made it the whole 10-ish stories - though the lid had to be forced closed, it still worked and played fine. This may sound pointless to you, but it's mentioned to convey a sense that despite their cheap-ass price, they're very solid-made. Problems (as with ANYTHING) do exist, but they are extremely isolated.

And that, is what I think, is happening with these XBox 360's. I don't suspect that the issue will not be nearly as bad as the PS2's. However, consider that yes, the squeaky wheels do make the most noise, as in this case... however, at this moment there certainly isn't too many squeaky wheels with XBox 360s. So instead of the ratio of bad to good systems being something like 1/100000, it's 1/500? (500=how many consumers could possibly have a system by now).

lol steve that was xplay, and it was a 10 fot drop from it all, they first knocked the consoles across the room with a sledge hammer...ps2 broke, then they did something else both survived, then they drop gamecube and xbox 10feet, xbox probably would still work if you put its face plate back on(it came of but the wires were intact, and you need that power button to get it on)

10 foot? I thought it was higher (that's why I said 10 story, I remember 10)
And I agree, though, that the X-box is much better built than the PS2. Hell, dollar store toys are built better than the thing :)

steviep said:
10 foot? I thought it was higher (that's why I said 10 story, I remember 10)
And I agree, though, that the X-box is much better built than the PS2. Hell, dollar store toys are built better than the thing :)
lol they definatly didnt do 10storys, if you remember they did it inside a warehouse, and where they droped it was 10 foot ledge over a garage door

Maybe I'm thinking of another show, then? They threw the systems out of a window. Or maybe I was too drunk to see properly? It could explain why I don't remember the name :D

My original launch Gamecube worked fine for awhile, then when Windwaker came out it started giving me DREs all the time. Had to buy a used one from some locally owned videogame place..

But the PS2 I got at launch has never given me any problems in its ~5 year run, and I use it all the time.

Didn't get a launch Xbox, got mine about a year after it came out, during the holiday season. No problems so far.

2 out of 3 isn't bad odds I guess. Hopefully when (and if) I get my 360 on tuesday it'll work fine for me. I'll just be reeeal careful when bringing it home.

CasvalEpoch said:
My original launch Gamecube worked fine for awhile, then when Windwaker came out it started giving me DREs all the time. Had to buy a used one from some locally owned videogame place..

But the PS2 I got at launch has never given me any problems in its ~5 year run, and I use it all the time.

Didn't get a launch Xbox, got mine about a year after it came out, during the holiday season. No problems so far.

2 out of 3 isn't bad odds I guess. Hopefully when (and if) I get my 360 on tuesday it'll work fine for me. I'll just be reeeal careful when bringing it home.

You're like... the opposite of everyone. lol. Like Bizarro-Jerry or something. My PS2 still works as well, but barely (and it's not a launch machine). It often has problems reading discs. The Gamecube that I got on launch day is still working without a single hitch, however, and this even while occasionally loading up burned mini-dvd homebrews/emus.

yeah never seen a single error with gamecube, most annoying thing was its fans got a whine to it after awhile(my cousins)only xboxs ive seen broke were the ones i play my need for speed underground1 disk in, that game literally kills harddrives which is why i keep it as my little tool :D ,it killed 2 of my cousins xbox 1 of mine and started on my friends cause he didnt belive it would start happening, it fucks the harddrive up some how

Back